User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Expanding Windows to fit the entire screen

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Expanding Windows to fit the entire screen
NeverFade

2006-03-03, 10:18

This guy I work with just bought an Apple laptop - he came from the PC side of things, and was asking me how to expand the window to fit the entire screen - Like you can do in Windows. I was telling him that if you hit the + button the window will toggle between 2 screen sizes, but it will not fill the entire scren like he was wanting.

Then I was perplexed - I have been using Macs for years, and never needed this function - or maybe if I did, I just streched the window.

Is there a way to do this?
Mikester

2006-03-03, 10:22

I just do it manually. Next time you open that application, it will open in the size you dragged it to.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-03, 12:17

No, there is no 'Maximize' like there is in Windows. The 'Zoom' toggle you showed him flips between two sizes: user specified, and 'optimal', where 'optimal' is determined by the application. It lets the application figure out exactly how big the window needs to be to show all the content, and not waste space. Maximized windows on the Mac are a waste, because it destroys one of the most basic functionalities - drag and drop between windows. Since this is pretty broken in Windows to begin with, maximize isn't losing them much of anything, but on the Mac it *seriously* impacts what you can do.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-03, 12:23

Why oh why do people want to do this? I just don't get it. I don't know how often I'll sit at a PC, fire up Word and be greeted by 3 inches of completely wasted space on the right because the contents of a page don't stretch that far. Or when I open up IE or FF and I get blasted in the face with nothing but a 4 inch wide border on both sides of the content because the thing is maximized. How on Earth do people work like that?

I can only sort of see this kind of thing when "single-tasking" because there's nothing else to look at (but not even then, really - lots of white space hurts my eyes to look at) but when you're using a modern computer? It's just stupid, IMNHO.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-03, 12:27

because they had a tiny monitor to start with?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-03, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
How on Earth do people work like that?
I've venture to say that some people's brains cannot handle more than one task at a time, never mind having two processes actually interact with each other. Thus, they do whatever they can to block out any other possible stimuli.

I don't envy them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-03, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've venture to say that some people's brains cannot handle more than one task at a time, never mind having two processes actually interact with each other. Thus, they do whatever they can to block out any other possible stimuli.

I don't envy them.
It's not even *doing* two things at once that I'm having a hard time seeing. I've often got several things going on in the background, whether it be copying files, downloading something, ripping a CD/DVD, or burning a disc. I just like to know what's going on with my other processes. I guess if you're used to a computer that will crash and burn if you throw too much at it, you only have it doing one thing at a time. Why do people use PCs again???