AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 23 of 25 First Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-10, 15:52

I found your bug report in GitHub, T, and I'm going to try noodling around with a local copy of the downloaded region in question to see if I've somehow screwed up the file over the years of various manipulations. I suspect Tectonicus "just" needs a bit better error handling and defaults for whatever value is missing, but I'll try to find a fix from our side too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-10, 16:16

Thank you.

I agree with the error handling. Seems like I would rather a blank block rendered than the whole thing stopped for an unknown block/ID.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-10, 21:04

Well, I tried, but the latest version of Tectonicus constantly blows up with a different unhelpful error at the very beginning of rendering, and I haven't been able to work past it despite experimenting with several different configs. I might file a bug for that one too.

For what it's worth, I decided to take another stab at trying other map rendering tools after giving up on Tectonicus.

current applenova "map" using papyri - papyri is super fast to generate and very lightweight because it simply loads all in-game maps to stitch together a "full" top-down view based on them. You can see from the output here how we have these huge gaps and low-res areas due to occasional Minecraft version updates breaking our in-game maps. Maybe this would be a good excuse to trash all our current maps and recreate fresh ones? I know 709 has mentioned this in-game at least once recently...

current applenova map using overviewer - Overviewer is an isometric projection renderer like Tectonicus, but it only does isometric and offers no top-down view. This is the same tool I mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's been updated for 1.16 and seems to be stable. I limited this render to just the "core" regions of our overworld so I wouldn't have to wait hours for it to finish the whole thing.

old applenova 1.14 map using unmined - I tried uNmINeD CLI which used to work well for me with Minecraft 1.14, but it crashed immediately after startup when I tried the latest version with our current world. uNmINeD is closed-source, hasn't been updated for months, and the author's blog isn't very forthcoming about details. I suspect it's buggy and incomplete. That map link is actually an old render I made last December with our 1.14 world.

I tried mcmap which is distributed as source only, no binaries. It blew up with compilation errors on macOS. It compiled fine on a local Arch Linux VM, but it also crashed immediately after startup. I suspect it's just buggy or incomplete.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-11, 01:39

Holy CRAP when did all of that happen??!!

I mean, look at all those buildings!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-11, 09:55

I went ahead and posted the chunk to the bug report. I figure there isn't anything that private in it.

If I weren't to use Tectnoicus it would be Overviewer. I used it in the past too but kept going back to Tectonicus because it was easier to script and produce things we like such as the signs and views.

When I stopped doing maps it was because everyone was using Google APIs and they killed access without money. So then all the map makers scrambled to get it working with Leaflet. Then life got in my way.

Now that Tectonicus is coming back to life, I'll likely stick with it, but trying to get through these bugs. Assuming I keep this going, I'll end up with Overviewer if Tectonicus dies or goes stagnant again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-11, 13:53

Sounds good to me! I don't think there's anything private to worry about.

I'm looking forward to what the dev has to say. Hopefully it's a straightforward fix because, yeah, Tectonicus has otherwise generally treated us well over the years.

¡Damned!

2020-10-11, 21:39

I really do miss our isometric map, if only for the alt spoopyness view. Scanned the Overviewer docs for a bit and from what my non-coding brain can absorb it looks like signs (if we can sort them by a tilde again?) could happen. Maybe banners as map markers are in the mix there as well.

The Papyri thing is very clever! Not really an option for us as we don't all make maps as we go traveling, but I love the idea. RE: maps, yes, I'd favor a clean start. We're at like, 850-900 or so now, and pretty much 95% of the maps got boinked anyways after the move to a new seed in 1.14. PLUS I'd like to take advantage of some custom map images, eventually, if the Overlords allow.

If we go with Overviewer we may want to trim again just to get the world down to a reasonable render. I have 2 additional chunks to save if we do that, so give a warning.

Honestly I'm good with whatever we do. I'm just happy we still have this thing still rolling along.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-12, 11:19

Knowing I'm working to get maps working again I'd like a trim just because it makes the initial rendering much faster.

We will see what happens as this progresses with Tectonicus and assuming that works we will use it again. If not, then I'll look at Overviewer since it has been around and generally stable as well.

Edit: What about The End being trimmed? I haven't been in there in a long time so I don't recall where it stands. I'm hoping that I'll be able to run maps for it as well as Nether. Nether always has a challenge rendering something useful though given the blocks for the ceiling.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-13, 10:03

So while I'm working through bugs with the developer for the map maker I'm also trying to get renders of our old worlds. Since none of the old ones will work anymore, I'm going to work on it with the current generator and it "should" work. The thing I'm finding is some of those worlds are still in McRegion as opposed to Anvil. I'm going to keep messing with it, but wanted to let y'all know it is in the works. I just need to figure out how to make it happen.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-13, 10:30

Looks like progress. Anyone recognize where this is? Seems this was one of the chunks causing problems for Tectonicus:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 10:48

Looks like the high-speed ice-rail prototype out past Bradtopia.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-13, 11:25

Could be! That looks like the opposite angle perspective of this area

https://applenova.com/etc/brad/minec...leNova/render1

I don't understand how that would cause problems, though, because I think all of those blocks are perfectly normal blocks that could be found in creative mode.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-13, 12:01

He said it was a name tag.
Quote:
In this case it was caused by a bad assumption that the Name tag would always exist for player heads, and when it couldn't find it it was causing a worse failure than it should have. I don't know if it was always possible for that tag to not exist or if that was a recent Minecraft change, either way it should be fixed now.
He also said he noticed the ice rendering wrong so he's going to fix that too before the puts out the update.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-13, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
He said it was a name tag.
Huh, that's neat. I wonder if it snagged on one of the heads in the dam complex. Each of the security cameras and computer monitors is actually a head with a custom texture. I've scattered heads all throughout Bradtropolis and probably a few other places too, though. I'm pretty sure it's not been required that head entities have the name tag, or if that was true, it was several major versions in the past. Minecraft has changed the internal data structure of heads several times over the years, to the great frustration of custom builders no doubt. At least versions 1.8, 1.13, and 1.16 each introduced major changes to the NBT tags in heads.

Quote:
He also said he noticed the ice rendering wrong so he's going to fix that too before the puts out the update.
Great! Thank you so much for reaching out to the dev with this bug report, T. For every one user like you, there are likely dozens more who encounter an issue like this and just give up and quietly go away. You just made Tectonicus a little bit better for everyone.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 09:56

Thanks. While I'm not really a coder I try to do my part. Especially when I really like the item being developed!

Also, he just put out the update that fixes the heads so I'm going to try again this after noon. The initial build always takes forever so we will see how it goes!

¡Damned!

2020-10-14, 10:23

Quote:
Knowing I'm working to get maps working again I'd like a trim just because it makes the initial rendering much faster.
If you decide to do that before this new run here are the 2 additional chunks I'd like to keep intact:

Thanks!

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 21:46

I'd really rather Brad do the trim. I've done it before and he wrote a nice script for it... I'm just not comfortable with it yet.

Pretty please Brad?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-15, 12:31

Happy to! I'll take a stab at it this evening with a local practice run before verifying again here.
spoutnik

2020-10-16, 11:53

Hey guys ! I am the dev who made mcmap. Github gives you links to places your project is linked from, so here I am.

Looks like my project is not adapted to your maps, but I feel like you did not manage to use it, so I'll try and help just in case.

Brad mentionned compilation errors. Did you use OS=MACOS ? Considering the name of the forum I'll figure you are running on the ol apple hardware. Unfortunately as shady stuff is going on with the compilers on there, you need this flag to enable the tailored settings.

Also, looks like you map is huge. It might fail because you do not have enough RAM.

Those are problems I am trying to resolve atm, but I am interested by seeing people with a use case. What kind of output do you guys rely on ? Tiled images ? 3gigs PNGs ?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-16, 12:11

Wow. Thanks for jumping in!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 12:46

Hey there spoutnik, Welcome!

Normally we do tiled PNG. 7 zoom levels with there angles as well as The End with one angle.

There are a few files to the maps when done.

Here is another breakdown of the maps:
Code:
du -h --max-depth=1 /volume1/web/mcmaps/ 184K /volume1/web/mcmaps/Images 136K /volume1/web/mcmaps/Scripts 21G /volume1/web/mcmaps/Map0 21G /volume1/web/mcmaps/Map1 28G /volume1/web/mcmaps/Map2 2.3G /volume1/web/mcmaps/Map3 71G /volume1/web/mcmaps/

Last edited by turtle : 2020-10-16 at 13:36. Reason: Add du results
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-16, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoutnik View Post
Hey guys ! I am the dev who made mcmap. Github gives you links to places your project is linked from, so here I am.

Looks like my project is not adapted to your maps, but I feel like you did not manage to use it, so I'll try and help just in case.

[...]

Those are problems I am trying to resolve atm, but I am interested by seeing people with a use case.
Huh! I've never known anyone to pay attention to the traffic stats on GitHub. Welcome!

For what it's worth, I'm infinitewarp on GitHub, and I just opened an issue (Regions cause segmentation fault and stack smashing #56) with more information and a terminal recording (mcmap segfaults and stack smashing) that I hope will help provide some meaningful details. I figure the GitHub issue is the best place to continue the conversation, but I'm happy to provide more info here in this forum thread if that's any easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoutnik View Post
Brad mentionned compilation errors. Did you use OS=MACOS ? Considering the name of the forum I'll figure you are running on the ol apple hardware. Unfortunately as shady stuff is going on with the compilers on there, you need this flag to enable the tailored settings.
Yes, I set that environment variable inline with the make command, but it blew up at some point on an include related to something filesystem-related. I'll have to go back and retry to get the specifics. Following the instructions, I did verify that`g++ --version` reported 10 or greater (I don't recall what number exactly). So, I think either an even newer version of g++ is required that I don't have or there's something else that's broken. I may go retry this and file a bug for it too.

Cheers!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-16, 15:27

Well, now that the Gibberese have started talking gibberish, again … I'll do my best to translate:

(1) Set MapsBroken (T/F)

(2) If (1)=T <exec>FixMaps

(3) If (1)=F <exec>PlayMC

(4) End Syntax

Hope that helps.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-16, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If you decide to do that before this new run here are the 2 additional chunks I'd like to keep intact:
Quote:
I'd really rather Brad do the trim. I've done it before and he wrote a nice script for it... I'm just not comfortable with it yet.
Sorry it took me a little longer than expected to get to this! As always, I like to update my Photoshop template with a current top-down render, and I had to go install a brand new Windows (ugh) VM in order to get a recent enough build of minutor running. With that, here's a super zoomed-out view of everything we have today…

and a closer view of the more central regions…

and what that looks like with 709's recommended trim…

Look good? I'll match up the region IDs to this graphic and update my script to trim the fat, and after a local trial run, I'll plan to run it on T's server tomorrow.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-17, 12:09

I noticed something with that top pic.

It appears, although I am only guessing, that 709 has been exploring again.

And from that souther "extension" he appears to have gotten just a little too excited.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-17, 22:28

Trim complete! This is the current state of the world on the server:

¡Damned!

2020-10-19, 12:27

Excellent! Thanks Brad. Can't wait to see where those 'Ruined Portals' pop up in the Overworld. Pretty neat to run across one in the wild.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-20, 10:05

Thank you very much Brad! Once my new server gets in I'll hopefully be able to get some good renders of the maps. I'm going to try again to do it from my MBP, but it doesn't seem to handle that kind of load as well as the other machines.

¡Damned!

2021-02-12, 20:14

I know most everyone's been too busy for some MC these days, but after some hubbub about the new snapshot I created a temp world just to look around, and holy shit. The new cave systems are amazing. I flew around in one cave system for at least 500 blocks, and there were a ton of branching tunnels that I didn't even explore. HUGE caverns and crazy water levels underground. You really have to explore it yourself to get the gist of it.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-12, 22:22

I saw a diagram on reddit and it seems like they have flooded caverns underground??