Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

DVD Studio / Motion Express Anyone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
DVD Studio / Motion Express Anyone?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-29, 21:03

I don't have any reason to believe plans for such products exist, however based on what they've done with Final Cut and Logic, it would make sense. DVD Studio Pro and iDVD are SO far apart in what they can do and how they do it that I don't think there would be any problems there at all. And of course, there is no such thing as a consumer grade motion graphics app so again a logical fit. I would say the capabilities should be the same, maybe just have it ship with fewer canned effects, etc.

I'm just thinking: how awesome would it be to have a $700 or $800 suite that included: Final Cut Express, Logic Express, DVD Studio Express and Motion Express?

I would jump all over that in about three seconds, as most of the super-pro features of their bigger cousins, I don't need. The only thing I'd want is tight integration with GarageBand, because there is no other equivalent for that app right now AFAICT.

What do you guys think?

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 21:06

That would be quite a cool package!

iLife for beginners/hobbyists, the Express line for the low/mid-range person, and the expensive stuff for the pros.

I can dig it, sure.

I think MWSF is going to be one of the best.
yoda_four

2004-12-29, 21:55

I would love that Express package. Sadly, I don't think it'll happen, only because Motion and DVD Studio Pro are fairly cheap, in comparison to FCPHD. If someone were to upgrade from iMovie to FCP, thats a ton of money to put down, way too much; and that's why FCE exists. Same with Logic Pro, LE and GarageBand.

But I digress. I would buy such an "Express Suite" if it were released. Make it include FCE, DVDSE, Motion Express (v.2 AE killer), LE, and possibly a Shake Express.

I actually really want a Shake Express available because the pro edition is way too overpriced. I, as a prosumer, want something cheaper!!! I also want Motion to be more powerful and eventually kill off Abode After Effects (I'll be waiting awhile), and have some Apple solution to photo imaging. Then, Apple will have a complete solution for all consumers/prosumers/pros.

Music editing: GarageBand---Logic Express---------Logic Pro
Video editing: iMovie---------Final Cut Express-----Final Cut Pro
Photo editing: iPhoto---------Image Express--------Image Pro
DVD creation: iDVD----------DVD Studio Express--DVD Studio Pro
Video graphics: --------------Motion (v.2) Express--Motion Pro
Video compositing:-----------Shake Express---------Shake Pro
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-12-30, 00:24

I dont think that you are going to find too many people who wouldnt jump at this idea; there are a lot of prosumers out there that would love to see this package and I am one of them. The iApps are great for what they are intended for but are lacking in the features that most prosumers would want in an app and I dont know about you guys but Im not looking at buying any of the pro apps right now; they are just too expensive and have so many features that I wouldnt know where to begin. I think that a prosumer like of the iApps would be a great addition to the Apple line as they would increase what I would be able to do without breaking the bank and being too overwhelming.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-30, 00:29

I agree. I mean why not take the concept all the way to its logical end if you've got two pro apps remaining with the potential for a little bit of streamlining / power user feature reduction? It's true that they are only $500 and $300 respectively for DVDSP and Motion, but the Express versions could be $250 and $200 roughly, with just a few key "pro" features missing. Maybe take out the HD content stuff and/or integration with Final Cut Pro / Logic Pro.

Gizzer

2004-12-30, 08:55

I like the idea of an "Express Suite", but in respect to Motion, given that it's already the same price as FCE anyway, wouldn't it just make more sense that Apple release a 1.5 update that gives the same full compatability with FCE as it does with FCP (ie being able to hop between each app seamlessly and see the updated footage)?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-30, 10:27

I thought about that. I guess they could include the standard Motion app in the Express suite, since it's more or less in line (price wise) with the two existing apps)... I wonder though if that would detract from the Pro Suite sales.