User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Swift
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-06-03, 13:16

Surprised there isn't already a thread here. First impression of Swift is pretty good. I was talking with a friend of mine and he tipped me that it is very similar to the Rust programming language (even down to the arrow syntax):

http://rust-lang.org

I was always hesitant to dive deep into iOS coding because I just didn't want to spend time learning Objective-C, but Swift looks familiar (and gentle?) enough to me, that I may give it a try. I would imagine I'm not alone.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-03, 13:45

I'm pretty interested too actually. I'm starting to look at the process I need to do to write my own app that is the most basic possible. Then build and expand from there.

Apple already put out an iBook for Swift too. I haven't started looking into it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-06-03, 16:27

I had been attempting to learn obj c on and off over the past two years. I got a macbook pro this year and had actually made some progress learning.

So now i get to toss most of that out the window and start learning swift. I got Yosemite beta and xcode 6 beta downloaded and ready to go when i get home tonight.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-03, 16:30

If it's any consolation, you could be in a better position to learn Swift than many of those developers who have been using Objective-C for a lot longer; you have fewer behaviors to unlearn for the new language because you haven't been using the old one for as long.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-06-03, 18:40

My biggest issue with objective c was the syntax. I learned way too much of my current programming knowledge from writing PHP. All the $'s and ->'s and weak typing of PHP made it tough for me to get into objective c. Didn't help that I still work with a lot of PHP in my job.

I'm hoping the excitement of a new language and the $99 I paid for a developer membership will be enough to motivate me to learn swift quickly.

-Sent from my MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-03, 20:12

So if I really want to get started writing even the most basic App do I need to pay $99 to get access to the Apple tools? I would want to be able to put the app on my phone to play with and test things and such. Is there a "Quick Start" guide to go from nothing to putting an app in the App Store?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-06-03, 20:22

Once they release the final version in the fall, it will be free to download.
Playing with playground right now, working through some of the swift book. Playground crashes a lot.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-03, 20:59

You'll still have to pay for the ability to run code on-device, though; provisioning requires a paid developer account.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-06-03, 22:01

Yes, unless you jailbreak and get creative
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-06-03, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Once they release the final version in the fall, it will be free to download.
Playing with playground right now, working through some of the swift book. Playground crashes a lot.
Crashed when I initially installed it (the first time I created a playground) but has been stable since then. Fun stuff.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-06-04, 14:21

Syntax is just what characters are used to visually represent the concepts of a language. Know the concepts, and you can bounce from syntax to syntax the same way you can read the same words in radically different fonts and still understand them.

Swift is slick. Long-time Obj-C devs that are steeped in the concepts of Obj-C will have little problem making the switch, I think, although they will have to work to leave behind the idioms.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-06-08, 23:57

It actually reminds me a little of Scala without the concurrency abstractions.
wtd

2014-06-10, 01:27

Reminds me a LOT of Ocaml. Conceptually, that is. The syntax is quite different.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-06-10, 11:53

Started playing around with Swift, but I quickly realized that unless you know the Cocoa framework, you won't get very far in iOS development. Waiting for a Swift Cocoa book, I guess.

In the meantime, I'm going to learn Clojure.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-06-10, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd View Post
Reminds me a LOT of Ocaml. Conceptually, that is. The syntax is quite different.
https://twitter.com/bobpoekert/statu...74139039469568

Quote:
Facebook: PHP + OCaml = Hack
Apple: Objective C + OCaml = Swift
Microsoft: C# + OCaml = F#
Sounds about right.