User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac Pro
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-08, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Haptatic feedback on the trackpad gets quite annoying at times -- especially when Keynote or similar programs have built in activators for the response; I do not need to feel when my image is aligned with another one and I certainly don't appreciate my finger getting kicked off the trackpad because the application designer wants me to feel a bump.
Haven't had a chance to play with it; my rMBP is 2013 and thus doesn't have it yet.

But I think we have a newer one lying around…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I'm not sure I want to lose the physical keys of a keyboard, but I'd be interested in trying a touch-surface sub-display control for navigation on laptops and desktops.

I'm not criticizing Apple's design choice here, but I would imagine that the trackpad would be a better natural location for it?
I think the idea is that it's close enough to the screen to glance, yet close enough to your hands to touch.
¡Damned!

2018-03-28, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm more excited about the accessories, tbh. An official space-gray wireless extended keyboard? Dark MMouse and Trackpad? Yes, yes and yes please.

Kinda kills the SG Matias Keyboard, but at least they've got the other colors and backlit versions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Those supposedly aren't coming standalone, alas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Well that's just stupid.
Well it took them nearly a year, but the accessories are now available. tbh I'd probably still go with the Matias at that price because backlit, but the mouse and trackpad are tempting.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-03-28, 13:21

People were selling the things for upwards of $350 each on eBay. Lead us to believe they were being swiped from Apple Stores, so we put ours behind glass. Now, that stupid market is out of business.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-03-28, 15:29

I just bought a new Magic Trackpad 2 a week or so ago. I would have fathered has grey since it would go better with my MBP, but I'll be fine with the white/silver one.

I will say the changes from my 1st get trackpad to this one are awesome.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-19, 18:04

Well, so it ends. The iMac Pro is officially discontinued. The stop-gap filled-ish a gap, and now the gap is full of gap-filling other things and no one cares any more.

I actually feel kind of bad for people that bought these things. Not one of the more reliable computers Apple ever made, but certainly one of the most expensive.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-19, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I actually feel kind of bad for people that bought these things. Not one of the more reliable computers Apple ever made, but certainly one of the most expensive.
My impression from people who have one is that they were actually quite happy with them.

(My impression is also that most people who think they need / would benefit from that many cores probably don't need them or have different bottlenecks.)
¡Damned!

2021-03-19, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I actually feel kind of bad for people that bought these things.
Why? It's exactly what was said on the tin – an iMac with Pro-er stuff – and if the specs/price were within an agreeable balance it was bought. Don't feel bad. It's a great machine.

So it goes.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-03-19, 20:17

Outside of the scientific/education community, the iMac Pro was largely a status computer for CEO desks.
I did see one at a media company one time, and it looked out of place amidst all the other iMacs.

If you think of it as a successor to the 20th Anniversary Mac, it likely sold quite well.

I don't know anyone who bought one personally, but I'm reasonably sure its owners were happy with the purchase.

Now it's a collector's item, so many of them will be even more pleased.
khalidshah9345

2021-03-30, 07:43

I would like to purchase the new Mac book. I am planning to buy this from Xcite. My friend was suggesting that it is the best to do Online Shopping in Kuwait What do you think ?

edit: removed your sketch URL. welcome to the site. -alcimedes

Last edited by alcimedes : 2021-04-04 at 18:39.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2021-04-04, 18:40

So the touch bar did suck, the iMac Pro was totally a last ditch bullshit effort, and Apple has given up on the Pro market almost entirely, but kudos for their most recent effort. If we end up with a 3rd stimmy round maybe I'll set my sights on the new Mac Pro. That does look more like my style of pro machine. I love my garbage can and all but the upgradability is meh.

sometimes it's fun to read through super old threads and see how things actually panned out.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-04, 22:02

Whoa! Wait a minute! Who is this Alcimedes character? I'm a bit concerned about spam.

Thanks for the Toledo control, Mr. Al.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-05, 10:47

So are they going to keep the gray keyboard and trackpad with this demise? It seems like an easy yes... but this is Apple.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-05, 10:57

The gray accessories are now sold as stand alone, and they sell reasonably well, so I think they stick around.