Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Buying a new Mac!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying a new Mac!!
as2324

2006-05-21, 18:08

Ok, advice will help...

I need a Mac to maintain an ecommerce web site. Using Office, Photoshop and Dreamweaver to get this done. I have a LARGE iPhoto collection, a well as iTunes. I like the idea of an iMac Intel, but I want a bigger monitor. Maybe one option could be a second 20in display, I can do this, right? Should I wait for the Intel (Power) Mac? Is that wasted money, probably more power than I'll need. But then, what's coming after the Intel iMac? Hmmm..... What to do?
RichieB

2006-05-21, 18:18

20" iMac ($1699) + Extra 20" Display ($799) OR Powermac (1999) + 32" ACD (2499)

Your choice!
as2324

2006-05-21, 18:30

I see your point, but I wouldn't buy a PowerMac now, that's the last to be converted to Intel. That PowerMac will be 1/2 price then.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-21, 18:46

1/2 price? where did you here that? Apple never reduced the price of their other computers.
as2324

2006-05-21, 19:08

I didn't mean 1/2 price literaly, I just mean that's it's already outdated without even being replaced yet.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-21, 19:26

Well if you could give us an idea about your budget it would be easier for us to say which would be the best choice for you. Because, the way you have explained, money doesn't seem to be a problem (or is it?). Otherwise ppl will suggest you combinations which you might not be able to afford.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-21, 19:30

Don't get an Apple display. They're stupidly overpriced and unlike Apple's computers, they don't offer any advantages compared to other brands.

I would definitely hold off buying a Power Mac until an update. They have gone about a year without any changes, so it's about time for something to happen on that front. The Power Mac won't be upgraded right away; it'll probably be a couple more months yet.

Getting an iMac + external display might be a good idea. It's up to you how much display space you want, and you'll also need to determine which iMac to get.

What price range are you looking at? You could get a dual monitor setup with lots of pixels for under $2000, easily, if you just stick with the 17" iMac and get a 20" display from Dell for around $500. Having two identically sized 20" displays, though, would be nice, if you're willing to spend the extra for the 20" iMac.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-05-21, 19:32

If you have the money and youre willing to wait, wait. If you dont have the $5000 for the PowerMac and the large screen, and you need something now, go with the iMac. You'll be pleased either way.
as2324

2006-05-21, 19:35

I'm not too concerned about price, it is for my business as well as home use. My first thought is the iMac 20" w/second 20" display. But... as usual, when buying a computer, if I wait until August, we will probably see some great new upgrades. Possible iMac 23" HD (and new Intel chip)... who knows!!!
Pierre

2006-05-21, 19:42

I doubt that... but we will see some (as Steve Jobs puts it) screaming machines this fall.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-21, 20:01

Yeah, but if you've waited until August and something comes out, you could just wait a few more months and get the next model, which will be even faster!

I mean, it's up to you if you want to wait or not, but sometimes I miss the point of waiting endlessly for new machines to come out. The current iMacs are really awesome and represent good values. I'd say several months with one is worth it, even if it's upgraded in a few months.
Pierre

2006-05-22, 06:13

It will fit your needs now. But if you don't want to buy another machine further down the line (you would like to keep this iMac for a couple years) then get the best thing you can afford.

Pierre Lourens--Macbook 2.0ghz White
MagSafe

2006-05-22, 07:01

I'd just get the standard 20" iMac with an extra gig of ram, I do a lot of the same stuff as you and will planning on getting one of these soon.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-22, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by as2324
'm not too concerned about price, it is for my business as well as home use.
So don't you need portability or you want to buy two, one for home and one for business or you run your business from home? because in that case you can get 2, 20" ACDs and get a mac mini core-duo (I suppose its good enough to run photoshop and Dreamweaver, isn't it?) so you can carry it between home and business.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
as2324

2006-05-22, 08:14

I'm typing on on an iMac G4 right now. This mac is coming to the office and the new one in my home. I'm noticing this G4 struggling with all of these tasks, so it will be fine for basic tasks and maintenance at work. I think I might wait for the next thing, which I know one could do forever, I just have a gut feeling of something special to come.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-22, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by as2324
I just have a gut feeling of something special to come.
well the new powermac would be the special one to comeout this year in apple computers with leopard OS releasing in December (is it December?)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-22, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman009
is it December?
No. Apple has made zero announcements regarding the official release and availability of Mac OS X 10.5.
MagSafe

2006-05-22, 09:07

I wonder if there would be an upgrade to the iMac in August, It'll have been ages since the Intel version was released.

I'll probably be looking to get one of them around that time so here's hoping , although I can't see much else that could be impoved on them ... a price decrease with higher specs would be nice though

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-22, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman009
(is it December?)
Late 2006/early 2007. Nothing more concrete than that.
Boomerangmacuser

2006-05-23, 22:07

I might be in the same boat in a little while, minus the second monitor. I'll need to replace our aging PC desktop by the end of the year. My wife works on the machine all day and some evenings doing web design. It's not exactly CPU intensive stuff but she does use a fair bit or RAM.

My question is: Is an iMac up to the rigours of daily use? Can I hear from some people out there who use an iMac day in, day out and can attest to their being up to the task? I don't need the horsepower of a PowerMac (or it's Intel replacement) but do I need the cooling/ruggedness?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-24, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe
I wonder if there would be an upgrade to the iMac in August, It'll have been ages since the Intel version was released.

I'll probably be looking to get one of them around that time so here's hoping , although I can't see much else that could be impoved on them ... a price decrease with higher specs would be nice though
I too hope that they update the iMac in August! hopefully at a minimum they will put the Core 2 Duo (or whatever it is) into it and maybe some other small things. I also hope they up the HD drives to 500 and 750 or whatever is out at the time!
MagSafe

2006-05-24, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
I too hope that they update the iMac in August! hopefully at a minimum they will put the Core 2 Duo (or whatever it is) into it and maybe some other small things. I also hope they up the HD drives to 500 and 750 or whatever is out at the time!
Yeah, I think by August it wouldn't be a suprise if the iMac's got upgraded a tiny bit, just to keep up with technology and justify their price tag(s).

I'd actually hope for larger hard drive options, the 250GB would be more than enough for me if I was to get one in August, but I'd be planning on keeping it more a good few years and over time an extra 250GB, or even 500GB would come in useful for recording TV/Video onto it, instead of having to fork out for another external hard drive.