Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

S500 as replacement iSight?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
S500 as replacement iSight?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-06-14, 13:14

Would it be possible for me to use my Canon S500 as a replacement for an iSight? I'm using a Powerbook G4 15" 1.25 Ghz, if this might matter in any way.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-14, 15:04

just connect it the camera via firewire ichat should recognize it i use my samsung that way
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-14, 16:15

unlikely...

if there is no way for you to get live video from your camera when it is connected to your computer then there is really no way for iChat to recognize it...

test it with this and if you can get it to work... you will probably need to use this for iChat to "see" it...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-14, 16:18

from apples ichat page
Quote:
While iChat AV works best with iSight, you can use any FireWire DV camera or FireWire Web cam for video chat.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-18, 02:57

Only problem with using a digital camcorder is that many have an auto power off feature that will hinder your ability to have any sort of a lengthy conversation via AV.

Come waste your time with me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-18, 10:14

And you can probably turn that off (at least, I can turn off the auto power off feature on my Canon digicam).

It would be interesting if you could combine the AV mode of certain digital cameras with that USB webcam driver software to allow you to use a digicam as a webcam, but I doubt it. It's even less likely with a Canon, since Canon is a bunch of idiots who insist on writing their own awful drivers for OS X instead of just making their cameras show up as USB mass storage devices.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-06-18, 13:36

That is my question, the S500 is a digital camera, not a camcorder.. Thanks for an answer guys..
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-06-18, 17:44

Regarding the auto shut off thing - just have a tape you use for iChat... pop it in and actually record while you are chatting. Run out of tape, rewind it, and start again. It only shuts off automatically when it's sitting there doing nothing.