Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.14 - Village & Pillage Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.14 - Village & Pillage Update!
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2019-06-24, 08:01

Logged in this morning to take a peek. Heard a bunch of squabbling in my villager area and it turns out it wasn't squabbling at all... the update must've released something inside them because they are all quite, um, amorous right now.

Interestingly, only the few that I hadn't traded with got turned into nitwits. The rest kept their trades/levels.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-24, 08:35

Hahahaha

That is awesome! I'll have to check my slaves villagers and see how they are doing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-24, 13:58

Drat! Just my luck… I upgrade the server to 1.14.2 over the weekend, and today they release 1.14.3.

shakes fist

Well, I think I'll wait until OptiFine has a preview build for 1.14.3 before updating the server again. My creaking old computer struggles to keep up without it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2019-06-24, 14:40

Even with OptiFine (the preview versions anyways) 1.14.2 is a lot more machine intensive than 1.13.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-06-24, 16:12

It sounds like this is how Microsoft kills the Java version...
¡Damned!

2019-06-24, 16:14

For those that want it, there's a bamboo plantation over by all the public farms now. Initially I tried to replace the sugarcane in the automatic farm with bamboo, but the ones that sprouted grew very slowly, and most not at all. I tried tearing down a tree farm in 13topia and planting a field of bamboo, but they only grew to 6 blocks tall... literally all of them. Conclusion: these things are super sensitive to light, and need it not only at the base to grow, but all the way up. So, I just planted a bunch over the kelp farm until I can figure out a good outdoor automated farm for these tall bois.

Note: leave the bottom stem block as you go choppin'

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-25, 19:27

I noticed a lighting bug that makes it like there is a skylight in some spaces that are well hidden from "natural" light.

This is a creeper spawner that I have just to torture them. Notice how bright it is in there? Those four torches in there cannot light the room that much. When sunset comes, the spawner works again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2019-06-27, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Drat! Just my luck… I upgrade the server to 1.14.2 over the weekend, and today they release 1.14.3.

shakes fist

Well, I think I'll wait until OptiFine has a preview build for 1.14.3 before updating the server again. My creaking old computer struggles to keep up without it.
OptiFine for 1.14.3 is finally 100%.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-27, 17:31

Oh man. I’ll have to check that out when I get home later tonight. Maybe it’s upgrade time again already!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-27, 20:08

Stopping the server now for updates.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-27, 20:10

Server is back up! Now running 1.14.3.
¡Damned!

2019-06-27, 20:13

!!!
¡Damned!

2019-07-02, 19:02

I gotta say Brad, these new armor icons are delightful. So.. video game. Very nice.

I haven't ventured too far out of my base yet since the transition. Supposedly the barrels are no-lag storage versus the chests which are super-lag (and lag is rough out at 'topia) so I've been tearing out my beautiful, massive storage areas and throwing all of the chest contents into shulker boxes. Then putting those in barrels. Near 2000 chests, if not more. Condensed into, comparatively, shoeboxes.

It's saddening, kinda. Before, I was like an Egyptian king with all my loot stacked to the high ceilings in rows and rows and rows. Now, I'm like, a hoarder.

I guess technically I was all along, but still.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-02, 19:31

No, not you!

*gasp*

Good thing I don't have that problem!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-03, 13:19

Where is the best location from which to download Optifine 1.14?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-03, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Where is the best location from which to download Optifine 1.14?
Always https://optifine.net/downloads

Never anywhere else.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-03, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I gotta say Brad, these new armor icons are delightful. So.. video game. Very nice.

Quote:
I haven't ventured too far out of my base yet since the transition. Supposedly the barrels are no-lag storage versus the chests which are super-lag (and lag is rough out at 'topia) so I've been tearing out my beautiful, massive storage areas and throwing all of the chest contents into shulker boxes. Then putting those in barrels. Near 2000 chests, if not more. Condensed into, comparatively, shoeboxes.
Hmm! I never thought about checking chest for performance effects.

I do know that item frames are a surprisingly massive performance killer. If you have any map-covered walls or lots of chest-identification frames about, you would do well to trim the excess and use them sparingly. You know how we used to have that giant world map under the Cashout Cove space needle? After the previous last update (a year ago? longer?) that lost us all saved maps, recently I finally went back into that room and popped off all 200-something empty item frames, and my frame rate when walking around in that area more than doubled.

It didn't matter whether they had items, maps, or nothing in them. Just being present was enough to tank performance.

Sadly, Mojang has had this bug open for as many years as item frames have been around, and it just keeps sliding: MC-1138 Item frames cause lag / huge FPS drops when rendered

There are a few other things I've been meaning to test offline with our world to find performance bottlenecks, but that's the only one I've pretty much confirmed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-03, 17:02

But...but... those maps are so cool.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-03, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
But...but... those maps are so cool.
I know.

edit: But as always, things in moderation. A few item frames for local maps or garnishing touches are fine. A big map-wall or a basement full of chests each with their own item frame identifier, though, are like anchors dragging the MC render pipeline it to the floor.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-03, 17:25

Quote:
Always https://optifine.net/downloads

Never anywhere else.
Yeah, that's why I asked. Nothing like a good dose of Mac Keeper Saver Remover® to remind you.
¡Damned!

2019-07-03, 18:30

Quote:
Hmm! I never thought about checking chest for performance effects.
There was a thread over on reddit where someone tested hoppers vs chests and then expanded into barrels and others. I have no reason to doubt it, and the drop in FPS is pretty stark.

Item frames though... I know they're bad for me, I do, but I just. can't. give. them. up.

Thanks for taking down the map wall. I removed the maps thinking that it was enough, but I never considered that the item frames themselves were a problem.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-03, 18:37

Quote:
… I just. can't. give. them. up.
I feel your pain.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-03, 19:52

Quote:
There was a thread over on reddit where someone tested hoppers vs chests and then expanded into barrels and others. I have no reason to doubt it, and the drop in FPS is pretty stark.
Wow! I love a good experiment with obvious and stark results. (Not I want to try the same experiment on my potato computer and report back.) It seems that since barrels are 1:1 capacity with chests, you could just trade them out and performance would be as if they were static stone blocks. Of course, if you want even more, then your shulkers-inside-barrels is one hell of a compact way to go!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-04, 00:11

Did I say I love a good experiment?

I created an empty void world and wrote a few functions to generate a bunch of blocks and entities (and reposition my player consistently each time) to roughly benchmark their effect on performance. I waited a few seconds after each command and then screencapped to get the average frame rate.

21x11x1 stone wall with 0 item frames → 1000+ fps https://i.imgur.com/170sWSw.jpg
21x11x1 stone wall with 241 item frames → 48 fps https://i.imgur.com/WsO30UT.jpg

21x21x31 block of stone1000+ fps https://i.imgur.com/BYLituU.jpg
21x21x31 block of furnace1000+ fps https://i.imgur.com/JjqR1U3.jpg
21x21x31 block of glass pane550 fps https://i.imgur.com/PaRGND3.jpg
21x21x31 block of oak fence410 fps https://i.imgur.com/dPP5w8F.jpg
21x21x31 block of oak fence gate380 fps https://i.imgur.com/oVlfWYn.jpg
21x21x31 block of hopper380 fps https://i.imgur.com/pvlINEt.jpg
21x21x31 block of shulker box6 fps https://i.imgur.com/gHKHur4.jpg
21x21x31 block of chest6 fps https://i.imgur.com/Jht0yTo.jpg

Those last two aren't typos.

I forgot to screencap barrels, but they behaved consistently like other full opaque blocks like stone with 1000+ FPS.

Keep in mind that other than the blocks you see, this world is literally empty with no blocks, no entities, no mobs, the daylight and weather cycles stopped, and my player in spectator mode. As nothing as you can get in Minecraft.

Why the differences? Full opaque blocks that are touching have their touching faces culled before rendering, and that means the only thing the game has to display is their most exterior surfaces. One giant cube of blocks just has its six sides no matter how many blocks are in it. If this same volume were spread out over a landscape with mountains and caves, that would be a totally different story since a much higher surface area of the blocks would be exposed and rendered. That's effectively what you see here with the glass panes and fences; they have many more faces that have to be rendered since they aren't culling all the interior faces.

The shulker box and chest hypothetically should be no more complex to render than fences, but as that Reddit discussion mentions, blocks that animate are handled very differently from blocks that are static. Not sure how exactly that is, but the evidence speaks for itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I couldn't create as many item frames as I could the blocks like chests because they have to be placed individually even programmatically (I spammed out 241 commands for them in my function script) and they have to align with a block (or else they'll pop off in a second), but you can see how the relatively tiny number of item frames crushes FPS compared to an order of magnitude more chests.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-04, 00:48

So, barrels?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-04, 13:21

I, for one, welcome our new barrel overlords.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-04, 14:28

I did a little more offline testing with this newfound knowledge and discovered…

Ken's island resort today: 26 FPS https://i.imgur.com/STl1acq.jpg
Ken's island resort with no item frames: 65 FPS https://i.imgur.com/MkKAGb4.jpg
Ken's island resort with no item frames and chests replaced with barrels: 92 FPS https://i.imgur.com/Hw2vVQZ.jpg

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-04, 14:36

At first I was like, AWESOME!

And then I hung my head as I realized the labor involved.

Well, at least that explains the massive lag I get whenever I look in that direction.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-04, 22:27

A short while ago I updated the resource pack configured on the server. Among other minor tweaks, this should fix the connected textures for glass that broke unexpectedly with the 1.14 update. If you have server textures enabled, you should get the new pack automatically.

¡Damned!

2019-07-05, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
And then I hung my head as I realized the labor involved.
I swear this will be the last time I reorganize storage areas. What a pain.