get your iPod updates
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-19, 07:42

here

nuff said

g

"when i've got nothing to say, my lips are sealed...say something once, why say it again?"

edit...10 mb download file...42 mb space on HD....large?

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
MacUsers

2004-07-19, 07:57

Or not... looks like there's no update for the 3g's... it's just an updater that can update all the iPods using one updater but it's still 2.2 for the 3g's and 1.1 for the mini's.. it's only 3.0 for the clickwheel pod.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-19, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUsers
Or not... looks like there's no update for the 3g's... it's just an updater that can update all the iPods using one updater but it's still 2.2 for the 3g's and 1.1 for the mini's.. it's only 3.0 for the clickwheel pod.
yep...no updates for me...sadness

guess i will have to buy a new one!

g
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-19, 08:20

Haha! This doesn't surprise me one bit. There's nothing preventing the 3G from being able to shuffle songs on the main menu, other than Apple's marketing division, I guess.

Ah well, it's not unexpected, the same exact thing happened last time. So much for "upgradable firmware" being such a big deal.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-07-19, 09:20

Thats really lame. So I pay close to $450 (got it on sale) for a 40GB music player and they can't see fit to add the same Shuffle to my firmware? BS.

/me flips off Apples iPod marketing division

Shhhh, I can't see!
MacUsers

2004-07-19, 09:36

Ya but who cares... what kind of "feature" is that anyway... go through two more menus and you have the 4G iPod's software.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-07-19, 09:39

Makes a diff when you're driving

But really its the philosophy of the whole thing that rubs me wrong. Apple is letting their marketing division dictate firmware features and snubbing existing iPod owners.

Maybe I just need to drink my coffee this morning, though.

Shhhh, I can't see!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-19, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUsers
Ya but who cares... what kind of "feature" is that anyway... go through two more menus and you have the 4G iPod's software.
Well the other new "feature" of the 4G firmware is MAJOR. The 4G gets 12 hours of battery life out of the same battery as the 3G, simply by conserving energy more efficiently through newer firmware. It's a major ripoff for 3G iPod owners.

I have waited until now to jump on the iPod bandwagon. I am glad I did, because I think the mini's click-wheel is vastly superior to the 3G's four separate buttons. The large and small improvements in the firmware will be nice too. I just feel bad for my brother-in-law (and others) who just bought a 20GB 3G iPod last week.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-19, 10:33

my question is do the minis have the same software, or will they get it?

i have a 15 gig 3g iPod which is great to hold most of my music and for long trips...thinking of getting a mini for bike ride to work and jogging and the gym...

should i just get a 20 gig 4g instead?? i like the mini's weight and armband, but would like iPod 3.0 or similar firmwire....

will wait a bit to see how it all smooths out in the next month

g

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-19, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
The 4G gets 12 hours of battery life out of the same battery as the 3G, simply by conserving energy more efficiently through newer firmware.
Where did you get the information that they both have the exact same internal hardware?
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-19, 17:46

newsweek article:

Longer play. Coast-to-coasters rejoice: the new iPods are rated for 12 hours of rockin' between charges—a 50 percent boost in battery life. This is accomplished, Apple says, not by a heavier battery but diligent conservation of power.

here

g

thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-07-19, 17:57

That doesn't say it's the same battery, however. It simply infers that the battery in it is better managed. Time will tell if it's the same one, or in fact just a similarly weighted one that's different.

Incidentally, I agree on the whole firmware stuff. The real story of the Gen 4 iPods is the interface. They shouldn't lock Gen 3 users out of a shuffle menu on the main screen and any new games, or that kind of thing. I felt utterly ripped off when the Gen 3 offered things like the On the Go playlist that weren't on the Gen 2 (which I have). The real story of the Gen 3 was the size, capacity and dock connector for accessories, not a damned on the go playlist deemed not good enough for those who had made the iPod the succcess it was.

Anyway. Gen 4 here I come… I'll be saying the same when the Gen 5 offers an on-screen QWERTY keyboard for searching for music, I'm sure.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-19, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequicksilver
That doesn't say it's the same battery, however. It simply infers that the battery in it is better managed.
Bingo.

It could mean that there's different hardware inside that can run with different power consumption than the current model -- something not too different from the PowerTune in the legendary new PPC chips that everyone has been talking about.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-19, 18:58

never tried to say that they had "the exact same internals" nor that newsweek is even right in its reporting....just giving a link to where escher was liking getting his info...i thought the same thing as i read that article...."mmmm, same battery? longer life?? newsweek wrong??"

g

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 19:13

According to Maccentral , there is a higher capacity battery, plus other stuff.

Quote:
The improved battery performance is a function of three overall improvements, according to Joswiak. "The battery has a higher capacity, there have been a number of software improvements, and this is fourth-generation hardware under the hood too," he said.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 19:28

I don't even know why we're discussing this, cause y'all know that within a week there will be some crazy Asian website where some crazy Asian guy has totally destroyed a brand new iPod and photographed all the internals. Just wait and see

Come waste your time with me
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-19, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
never tried to say that they had "the exact same internals" nor that newsweek is even right in its reporting....just giving a link to where escher was liking getting his info...i thought the same thing as i read that article...."mmmm, same battery? longer life?? newsweek wrong??"
Thanks for providing the Newsweek article, thegelding, which is indeed where I got my impression from. Of course, according to what BlueRabbit dug up on MacCentral, it turns out we were both misled. I still think Apple is a bit stingy with the firmware updates for previous generation iPods (or lack thereof).

Now do I get the 20GB or the 40GB (for my wife)? That's the big question.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
bugmenot

2005-02-25, 18:42

NEW 2.3 for 3G iPODS!!! W000 4G features!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-02-25, 18:47

I see a "Photo Import" feature on the 3G's now. I hope Apple makes the camera connector compatible with the 3G's. I'd love to be able to photograph using RAW instead of JPEG.
ASZ993

2005-02-25, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot
NEW 2.3 for 3G iPODS!!! W000 4G features!
But there is no improvement in battery life!

I have been using 2.3 for 3G on my 15GB iPod for a few days now. The menus take time getting used to.

The 3G iPod will still have the 8 hr. battery
rasmits
rams it

2005-02-25, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZ993
But there is no improvement in battery life!

I have been using 2.3 for 3G on my 15GB iPod for a few days now. The menus take time getting used to.

The 3G iPod will still have the 8 hr. battery
I don't think they'll ever instantly give us 50% more battery life with a firmware update...
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-02-25, 22:16

I had a strange battery problem that seems to be fixed. Mine might have been a rare problem though.
macattacks10

2005-02-25, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
I had a strange battery problem that seems to be fixed. Mine might have been a rare problem though.
Interesting you should say that, cause I was starting to have problems that in the middle of a song, it would just turn off, then I could turn it on again, and shortly thereafter, it would do it again. And after about the 3rd time in a row after a couple weeks, it said my battery was low. Then after the upgrade, it hasn't done it yet, so either it was a bug in the software, or they improved the battery life a bit in this update.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-26, 03:09

What I really want is an update to let me listen to the clicker through the headphones, like on the mini and 4G iPod. It might seem like a small issue, but when you're in a library or other quiet place, it's a nice feature.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-26, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
What I really want is an update to let me listen to the clicker through the headphones, like on the mini and 4G iPod. It might seem like a small issue, but when you're in a library or other quiet place, it's a nice feature.
Clicker?! Travesty!

I don't see the option to put "Shuffle" on the Main Menu of a 3G iPod
macattacks10

2005-02-26, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Clicker?! Travesty!

I don't see the option to put "Shuffle" on the Main Menu of a 3G iPod
It's there, you have to turn it on though by going in the Main Menu Settings.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-02-26, 19:21

What really pisses me off is if you have the click sound turned off and you leave your iPod alone for a while; when you turn the iPod back on and it boots up the stupid click sound is back on again. Its just so frustrating.
ALDER259

2005-02-26, 22:20

Yeah, I don't think that was the case with the 3rd gen ipods. That is one thing that gets old, everytime you leave it off for a day.