AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone: quirky ordering of phone numbers in Contacts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone: quirky ordering of phone numbers in Contacts
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-04, 00:35

Has anyone else noticed the quirky ordering within entries in iPhone's Contacts section? It appears that telephone numbers, and perhaps email addresses, are listed in the order they were added to an AB entry instead of being listed alphabetically (home, work, work fax) or some other rational order.

This isn't the end of the world, but it has resulted in some counterintuitive entries. E.g., I have a lot of fax numbers stored, and about half of the fax numbers show up as the top phone number for the respective contacts. While it's nice to have the fax numbers backed up to iPhone, there's no reason to be dialing a fax number from iPhone and it's a little user-unfriendly.

Another little quirk is that phone number formatting doesn't carry over from AB to Contacts. I typically have numbers formatted as 123.456.7890 but they show up in iPhone as (123) 456-7890. Again, no biggie; just an inconsistency I noticed.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-04, 02:12

Just to clarify my post above, in my Contacts it appears the most recently added phone number is #1, the second-most recently added number is #2, etc. So if you add an AB entry and enter a person's mobile number, work number and work fax number, it will show up in Contacts as:

work fax number
work number
mobile number

... even though this might be the reverse of the likely calling order.