AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: The 1.2.3 Mob Trap

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: The 1.2.3 Mob Trap
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-18, 17:44

So 709 and I have been discussing mob traps and have come up with a general spawning floor scheme that is washed of the mobs by piston controlled water flows every so often. In investigating if anyone else had gotten around Jeb's needless interference with mob traps, I stumbled upon a video of a small (21*21 -- like the center of the old BP trap) mob trap built near the top of the sky (spawning area at or below 240 for the moment) that worked incredibly well because you are essentially isolated from mobs spawning in the world below. This may not work so well on a smp server, but it is a quick build and may be worthwhile until the physics is again changed...

IE: I am going to blot the sun out over an area of the map again, but this time you will barely see it.
¡Damned!

2012-03-18, 21:00

I was thinking more about the test design, and felt it would be better to run the mechanics down the center instead of the sides. So, instead of mobs flowing to the center, they'd run off of the edges. Plus it'd be fun to see the redstone shit working as you descended down the ladder. So something like this:

I'll check out the tower trap video too.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-03-18 at 21:10.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-18, 21:45

Where are you thinking? Bear in mind, because of crappy bizarre Minecraft Physics, the shadow will be the exact same size as the building, directly below.

Can we suggest that over water might be a good choice?
¡Damned!

2012-03-18, 21:54

I designated an entry area to the mob trap just E of the future CommEx, and that area is right next to the river, so a tower trap may work there. I watched the video and wasn't super impressed at the drop frequency, but it's worth a test. Why not?

The underground trap idea was to stretch underneath the CommEx (since there's no basement), but if we go above ground I'd still like the mob-cube-head from TN to live above the space I've marked. We could even do a path from the top floor of the CommEx to the top of the head to get to the sky trap if it works.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-03-23, 19:55

So were you able to do your tower trap test yet bobsky? Or waiting until Creative Day?

Just wondering whether we'll be going up or down.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-03-25, 09:19

Well I missed creative day so no go...
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-03-25, 14:16

and so... it is done.. Minisky trap beta 1.0 is complete. It is over by the watery spawn jump next to the desert. when no one else is on the server it works ok. half a stack of gunpowder (a total of 175 drops) in one night... nothing to write home about, but enough to get us started...

b
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-05-26, 03:00

Right... so I don't think that the current trap design is going to be all that efficient for two reasons:

1) even though i have lit up every cave and crevice within eye shot of the collection area the spawn rate is hopelessly anemic which is more than likely caused by spawn being so damn close. perhaps spawn can be relocated from that park?

2) while delphi's clock multiplier is cute, i think we would be better off with a vertical tower of piston pushers which effectively kill immediately. i have built a slice of one on the secret service level (there's a slit in the ceiling of the collection area) from which i have seen a handful of mobs fall but at a very slow rate....
delphi

2012-05-26, 11:00

just let me know if I can help out