User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2020 MacBook Air update

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2020 MacBook Air update
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-20, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I've seen the videos. What I want to know is if Adobe and the like will have any UI control over this. In other words, will they be able to force the cursor to change into an arrow for instance?
I don't know. Can't find the developer documentation for this. (Yet?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yeah, cores are nice, but only if the app is multi-core aware. Some apps perform a lot better on a faster, single core than on a slower-clocked multi-core.
Right. Maybe he's referring to single-core, but… it's a less than 6% difference. Meanwhile, MKBHD's numbers for the same machine make the Air 7.6% faster in single-core. So we apparently have at least a 12% margin of error… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-20, 11:27

ARM's performance at the low end is there. I have no doubt that the first MacBook Air* with ARM will flat-out slaughter its Intel equivalent. If Apple can pull off the UI and the software support, it will signal the end of the line for their relationship with 3rd party chip suppliers.

The high-end is another matter, but I am absolutely confident that Apple will conquer that dragon, as well—in time.

*If that's what they call it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-20, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
In fact, it's hell yes.

The i5 is 33% faster in single-core and 63% faster in multi-core, despite 45% lower clock.

(I don't agree with Jason's conclusions regarding ARM. Six cores are faster than four. Who knew??)
Awesome to know. Harder than ever to justify the $1,799 (or more) for a Pro if I can just trick out an Air for $1,299. They’re nicer-looking anyway.

Besides, knowing Apple, they'll probably put an i3 in the $1,799 model and keep it at 8GB/128GB anyway.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-20 at 14:45.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-20, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Awesome to know. Harder than ever to justify the $1,799 (or more) for a Pro if I can just trick out an Air for $1,299. They’re nicer-looking anyway.
Yes — the 13-inch Pro used to be a good deal compared to the Air just last week, but this Air upgrade is terrific.

Hopefully, the 13-inch Pro catches up soon. (And, not to be biased, but I really need a new computer soon, and some sweet 16-inch upgrade action would be nice.)

Quote:
Besides, knowing Apple, they'll probably put an i3 in the $1,799 model and keep it at 8GB/128GB anyway.

Again, I'm surprised how little is bad about the base-model Air. The graphics aren't gimped, the storage is OK, and so on. The AIr should probably have Wi-Fi 6, but that's about it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-30, 12:21

I watched quite a few unboxing/setup/testing videos on YouTube last night about the new Air. Hard to find anything bad/negative about it. Everyone doing the videos seemed impressed, which was great. Very minimalist packaging, as expected. Lift off the box lid and there's the MacBook and underneath just a little booklet, stickers, 30W power supply and a cable. I didn't know it came with the TouchID thing until last night. That's nice. And the Space Grey looked really nice, which I had settled on anyway, just for a nice change after 16+ years of various silver/aluminum Macs.

I feel like, after all this time, I do need to give an updated 13" Pro (and possibly an iMac) an honest shot/look, but barring just something truly compelling from them (price drop/bang-for-the-buck goodness), I'm 92% set on this new Air, with the i5 and 16GB upgrades. I figure by June I should know all there is to know and then I'll feel like I can (finally) pull the trigger by mid-summer (you know, assuming we're all still alive and so forth).

I'm noticing that third-party outlets are selling various configurations for well under what Apple is. I see these sales highlighted at AppleInsider and other places from outfits like B&H, Adorama(?), Amazon, etc. So if I can find that i5/16GB model for less than the $1,299 Apple sells it for...I'll be on that like a dog on rice. Or white on a bone. Or something.
chucker

2020-03-30, 13:26

Quote:
I watched quite a few unboxing/setup/testing videos on YouTube last night about the new Air. Hard to find anything bad/negative about it.
There's videos going around complaining about the cooling system, but I think that misses the point. The Air is not a workhorse and has never been advertised as one.

Quote:
And the Space Grey looked really nice, which I had settled on anyway, just for a nice change after 16+ years of various silver/aluminum Macs.
I still hope we see some more creativity again on that front. I miss the colorful iPod nano.

I made it a point to get a green iPhone 11, and while it's not my favorite hue, it's so nice to not have yet another white/silver/black thing. (Likewise, I get first- or third-party Watch bands now and then, just to mix things up. Nothing of the kind for the Mac, though!)

Quote:
I feel like, after all this time, I do need to give an updated 13" Pro (and possibly an iMac) an honest shot/look, but barring just something truly compelling from them (price drop/bang-for-the-buck goodness), I'm 92% set on this new Air, with the i5 and 16GB upgrades. I figure by June I should know all there is to know and then I'll feel like I can (finally) pull the trigger by mid-summer (you know, assuming we're all still alive and so forth).
Yeah, I think we'll see some kind of update on the 13-inch (or 14) Pro in Q2. Almost certainly a storage bump, since the Air got it. And no more butterfly keyboard.

Price drop, though, I don't know. Maybe?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-30, 13:54

I doubt there will be a price drop. The base 13" Pro remains the same, but with updated processor and 256GB base storage. The upper-end Pro becomes a 14". And, yeah, if it doesn't come with 16GB standard, Apple is a buffoon!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-06, 10:09

I didn't think this warranted its own separate thread (if I'm wrong, do your mod magic to make it so), but since we're already kinda talking about it here, I just saw at MacRumors where that Prosser guy is now saying the 13" Pro is likely coming by next month.

Makes sense, as having the 16" Pro and the new revved-up Airs just makes the current 13" Pros look a bit less-than and out-of-step. Surprised it took this long (and, no...I'm not gonna attribute it to that bastard virus).

The new keyboard, new processors, etc. All expected. No mention of the base RAM, so that will be interesting to see what, if anything, Apple does on that front, at least for the higher-end variants). They might restructure/simplify the lineup as well? That new Air being so robust - and able to be BTO'd to Even More Robustier™ levels - might mean the new 13" (14"?) Pro occupies that $1,799+ area with a more "no compromise", Pro-level specs out-of-the-box (and the need for a neutered/down-spec'd 13" Pro in that $1,299-1,499 range is no longer needed)?

Who knows...they'll probably introduce about six variants, starting at $1,199 (i3 dual-core, etc.), etc. for no apparent reason.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-06 at 10:20.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-06, 13:22

I think it needs to happen prior to WWDC. I think there are some huge software announcements coming.

But, in the words of TMQ, "All predictions wrong or your money back!"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-06, 13:39

I agree, seeing how WWDC as we know it is pretty much a bust-out this go-around. They may as well spend April and May just releasing cool stuff. The iMac, as well, is due (384 days since last update, according to MacRumors Buying Guide).

So, in the coming weeks/months: 13/14" MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone SE sequel, those tag things(?), maybe a new HomePod (I read the other day Apple was blowing current models out to employees for $150).
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-04-11, 17:39

Damn, didn't even notice Macbook Air's had been updated.

Welp, went ahead and pulled the trigger on one with the $100 CPU upgrade and 16GB RAM, also went with Rose Gold because all I've ever had are white or silver Apple products. This should fee like quite the upgrade from my nearly 8 year old 11" Macbook Air, pretty excited! I will say my current laptop has been quite the trooper, still works fine, more or less, just a little slow--it even survived a pint of water dumped all over it a few years ago.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-11, 18:26

Those are the two upgrades I’d be getting as well.

Please get back with us whennn n you get it and have used it for a while. I’d love to hear some real-life opinions on it. Thanks!