User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is there a way to retrieve a serial number that was registered with Apple?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is there a way to retrieve a serial number that was registered with Apple?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-01-03, 16:12

So now it's my turn to have my stuff stolen. Somebody entered our apartment while we were away and took three tings: the Wii, the 12" PB, and a cell phone. It took us almost a day to even realize that there had been a burglary, there were basically no signs.

Of course the police is interested in the serial number of the PB, which I don't have written down anywhere. I am quite sure that I registered it with Apple though, but I can't seem to find a way to see the stuff I have registered - only register new stuff. Does anybody know how to retrieve that information? I can log into my Apple account, change my address, etc., but not look up my registered hardware.

Also, if somebody offers you a 12" PB with a German keyboard around Charlotte, NC - let me know.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 16:14

Call Apple's support line. I don't know if they will be able to help you, but there's no reason not to try.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 16:30

Is there anything--a sticker, perhaps--on the box in which your PB came that would help? I'm not at home at the moment, otherwise I'd compare my MBP with the contents of its box to confirm one way or the other.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-01-03, 16:35

Thanks fcgriz, I called them and they were very helpful, but they couldn't find a PowerBook registered under my name. I even dug up my earlier .Mac account, but it looks like I didn't register the PB - though I was sure I did.

LudwigVan, the PB was bought over three years ago, I don't have the box any more. I'm going to look through my receipts, perhaps I can find something there (I also had it repaired once), but I'm not very optimistic (I'm not good at keeping these things).
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 20:00

I just confirmed that there is indeed a serial number on the bottom of my MBP box.

Not the news you wanted to hear, ghoti; I wish you good luck nonetheless.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-04, 02:44

Did you ever get Applecare? If you did, the serial number will be on your Applecare warranty papers.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-01-04, 09:44

I'm not sure when they started doing it, but Apple e-mails receipts of purchases. Maybe you can check your old mail and see if its in there.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-01-04, 13:52

I have emailed the store where I bought it and hope that they will look up the serial number for me. It was bought in Austria, so not at an Apple store, and I don't have an email receipt. I will also look through my receipts on the weekend, though I don't believe I'll find it. I also didn't get AppleCare.

The stupid thing of course is also that the PowerBook does not have Undercover on it, because I never thought it would be stolen from my home (it never leaves the house any more). I'm now making a list of the serial numbers of all my electronics, so I will at least have something.

At least the "exotic" (German) keyboard should make it difficult to sell here in the US. The police officer was very amused when I told him about that.
RobUSVI

2008-01-09, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
At least the "exotic" (German) keyboard should make it difficult to sell here in the US. The police officer was very amused when I told him about that.
I would call up the computer stores in the area that repair Apple laptops and let them know you are missing one with a German keyboard. Somebody is eventually going to bring it in to get the keyboard swapped out.