User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Question about US Election campaign


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question about US Election campaign
Page 60 of 61 First Previous 56 57 58 59 [60] 61  Next Thread Tools
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
 
2017-05-26, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I know that having informed discussions is new for you, Nick, but you cannot simply dismiss evidence if it doesn't fit your narrative. You were using special elections as evidence of the continued prowess of the GOPers, but then when the data shows that your interpretation wasn't correct, you now reject them as noise. It is fun to have an opinion and no facts, but you have a tendency of stretching this to incredulity.
I know what I said and what I meant. There's a reason one of us uses the quote function and the other doesn't. You can't misrepresent words if you quote them.

Another one of these FEDERAL special elections for House, Senate, etc just finished up last night and the Democratic Party couldn't knock off a profoundly flawed candidate who had last minute scandal involving an assault charge.

They console themselves that the "gap" of loss is narrowed but as with all of these special elections, they are pouring in massive amounts of outside money from national donors all to get that first win on which they will anchor their ready-made narrative that Trump is going to cost Republicans Federal control. You can go back for round three or four of implying that I really meant Trump would alter elections for dog catcher if you want. I could care less.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, the democrats need to get back to the basics -- they simply cannot be New Labour and expect to make a difference in people's lives. The thing is: for all the noise from Trump about caring for these folks, his economic plan does nothing for them -- the healthcare plan alone robs them of their insurance more so than any other group -- so the fundamentals here favor a pissed off electorate that is more likely going to self disenfranchize than vote again for any party. This is a slow moving political crisis, and you are sitting here playing T-ball with some stuff you read on the internet.
Well we will see is the point. No one knows yet because his first fiscal year won't even take effect until 2018. I understand that in the model of government giving away goodies, there will be losers. However I think some folks seriously under estimate how good those "goodies" are after years of graft and corruption have drained away so much money with so little to show. Again President Obama borrowed nearly $9 trillion dollars
(perhaps more depending upon the figures you find) and what was shown for it?

When Bush borrowed two thirds as much we could at least note that it was for pointless and endless wars that he lied about to get us in per the narrative of his critics.

What did Obama do with all that money? I mean this as seriously as possible.

So I don't think the impact will be as large as you imagine because there isn't much being delivered for that money. California is a prime example of that where we have among the highest gas taxes in the nation, and they are rising to be tied for highest gas taxes of all so we can have the 48-50th worst ranked road system in the nation depending upon the group doing the ranking.

Claiming that the roads will be bad is an empty threat when they already are bad. Claiming that people will lose medical care when their "insurance" costs them several thousand dollars a year and has deductibles often in the several thousand dollar range before it starts paying out isn't much of a loss. At some point the threat becomes idle and that is why Trump was elected in the first place.

As an example my father works in trucking. He claims he has already seen a massive change in trucking due to immigration enforcement. Likewise there have been articles about increased immigration enforcement noting deportations rising more than 30%. Finally we have articles noting that there are shortages for field work even with that work paying $15 or more dollars per hour.

We shouldn't have record food stamp use and while having labor shortages in areas as varied as picking strawberries or doing tech work. I suspect that when there isn't a labor force undercutting real wages (field to H1B) and likewise no inducement to not work via safety net programs that are given to able-bodied people without children, then many problems will rectify.

All this can happen whether or not there is a wall and I personally don't care for a wall. When the government is so bad, there's lots of low hanging fruit to fix. Allowing ICE to simply do the job they are paid to do becomes a double win. Immigration enforcement goes up as does government productivity. Having an EPA that is less interested in carbon credits and more interested in keeping lead out of pipes is another example of double wins and there are plenty of them out there to try to claim.

If not, well there is always 2020 and again my view is there will be a recession somewhere in there regardless of who is elected.
  quote
Dr. Bobsky
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: A town that Germany forgot.
 
2017-05-26, 19:23

I find your quoting of me to be more reflective of your inability to construct a cohesive argument, but really, whatever floats your sinking ship.* The win in Montana wasn't shocking, 2/3 of votes were committed before the incident (if you actually look at the numbers the final tally was almost unbelievably close for fucking Montana), and it was in fact a close enough election to get Pence and a Trump spawn involved. Sure the GOP held onto the seat, and that's all they need to do. So the Democrats have more work to do. But your argument was not about holding seats (your statement would have had them gaining seats in any event, so you are either obfuscating or are fuzzy about the details when making statements, but I digress), it was about Trump being *good* for the GOP, and that remains an unfounded opinion...

Unfortunately, your perspective on how the economy works is somewhat limited. You are solely concerned about wages and not about productivity or the absolute need for the economy to grow. I know, I know -- in your view the economy is a zero sum game, but that is only the case when it isn't growing, but unfortunately for you the US isn't Japan of the last two decades. Labor shortages in farm labor doesn't rectify labor excess in non-agrarian regions or populations. Contrary to your evident belief, not everyone can pick crops for 10 hours/day, and not all unemployed people live where crops are picked. Anecdotes from your father don't count as facts (particularly not in a field where people may be making the rational choice to leave while the leaving is good given reports of automated delivery trucks being rolled out). Your economic view lacks the sophistication of understanding time, geography, migration trends, welfare limitations, etc. But you are not close to being an economist (nor a political philosopher if we are being honest here), and for that we should all be thankful.

I do find it pathetic that you believe that California's roads are somehow reflective of the fact that as you say the increased debt incurred by Obama led to nothing -- worse I find it laughable that you believe California's roads are 'bad'; have you ever driven in the South East or cities on the East Coast (and what does any of this have to do with Obama's budget)? You must really be daft if that is how you want to phrase your argument. Why not look at where the debt came from and figure out what the US got from it: the numbers are there for the analysis and your feelings about this have shit all to do with reality. Nor do the feelings of Trump's supporters. Reality has a way of rolling over people who do not perceive it accurately, and that describes everyone who voted for Trump and everyone who thinks he's doing a-ok.

Honestly, though, Nick. I am more interested in trying to help you argue better. This isn't fun when you are unable to express your thoughts in a consistent fashion and lean on logical fallacies (as you honestly always have).



*[truth be told, this is a forum, we are involved in a simple back and forth with few other participants, your posts are permanently there to refer back to, there is zero need to quote -- unless, of course, you cannot construct an argument and instead have to rely on line by line rehashings. We've been over this before, at a younger age I got pissed at you for arbitrarily breaking my arguments into pieces, but I discovered that you are incapable of debating wholistically and incapable of self-critical reflection on the imperfections in the small arguments you make or the 'data' you introduce. You enjoy these back and forths because it makes you feel like you have a supported opinion -- you don't care what anyone else says to you about how poorly your argument fares when held to the light of truth and logic. I frankly enjoy them because I get to laugh at you, and point out how stupid some Americans can be in this age of Trump to my friends here in Europe. So as disingenuous as I am with these arguments with you, because my heart isn't really in them, I really wish my sparing partner was smarter and better equipped. Ah well.]

Last edited by Dr. Bobsky : 2017-05-27 at 03:38.
  quote
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
 
2017-06-08, 15:11

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/o...ught.html?_r=0

Look a unicorn and a pretty pony!

A few key passages....

Quote:
A consistent theme is that the focus on white defections from the Democratic Party masks an even more threatening trend: declining turnout among key elements of the so-called Rising American Electorate — minority, young and single voters. Turnout among African-Americans, for example, fell by 7 points, from 66.6 percent in 2012 to 59.6 percent in 2016.
Quote:
Priorities also studied Obama-to-Trump voters. Estimates of the number of such voters range from 6.7 to 9.2 million, far more than enough to provide Trump his Electoral College victory. The counties that switched from Obama to Trump were heavily concentrated in the Midwest and other Rust Belt states.
Quote:
The Democrats don’t have a “white working-class problem.” They have a “working-class problem,” which progressives have been reluctant to address honestly or boldly. The fact is that Democrats have lost support with all working-class voters across the electorate, including the Rising American Electorate of minorities, unmarried women, and millennials. This decline contributed mightily to the Democrats’ losses in the states and Congress and to the election of Donald Trump.
Quote:
Past supporters

pulled back because of the Democrats’ seeming embrace of multinational trade agreements that have cost American jobs. The Democrats have moved from seeking to manage and champion the nation’s growing immigrant diversity to seeming to champion immigrant rights over American citizens’. Instinctively and not surprisingly, the Democrats embraced the liberal values of America’s dynamic and best-educated metropolitan areas, seeming not to respect the values or economic stress of older voters in small-town and rural America. Finally, the Democrats also missed the economic stress and social problems in the cities themselves and in working-class suburbs.
Quote:
Or, as I have written elsewhere, Democrats cannot simply argue in favor of redistributive government on economic matters because defecting whites are deeply hostile to a government they see as coercive on matters of race.

For decades, the perception that an intrusive federal government promotes policies favoring African-Americans and other minorities at the expense of whites has driven anti-government animosity.
Quote:
The two scholars provide data showing that

among white people without college degrees who voted for Trump, nearly 60 percent were in the top half of the income distribution

and that

white non-Hispanic voters without college degrees making below the median household income made up only 25 percent of Trump voters.
What I've been trying to put across here is that people thought the "rust belt" could not go vote Republican. They needed that federal help and being down and out meant that they would vote Democratic to bring that help.

I'm saying this because one of these big blue states is going to turn at some point. I live in one of them and so I can tell you what I've observed and what is happening. The threats of loss ring hollow because while the money was spent, the promised outcomes never arrived. Obama borrowed nearly $9 trillion supposedly to fix the country from the Bush wars and recession. That recovery never happened for those states and large swathes of the country.

In California we have the CSU and UC system. Instead of free tuition, the costs have doubled. Then we discover that nearly a fifth of the available slots are going to out of state and foreign students. You find out Janet Napolitano has a $175 million slush fund while students pay more. The roads are terrible. The taxes are high and the threat is that if you vote for someone other than a San Francisco/Northern California elite politician supported by tech and entertainment money then evil Republicans are going to make your life worse.

People realize at some point they can't make it worse. You don't have health care. You have a mandate to purchase terrible health plans. You don't have good roads or excellent state parks or fantastic government amenities for you kids. You have crumbling schools and roads while watching H1B visa holders take the jobs you were promised would be there if you got them through college in a STEM field.

This "hollowing out" isn't hard for me to see. It's like watching cable TV crumble or ESPN go from revenue generator to revenue anchor around the neck of Disney.

I can be crazy, delusional, argue poorly or mocked in whatever manner some prefer. I don't care about that.

I see what I see and I know what I know and right now the major blue pockets are all around media centers. Chicago, New York, Los Angeles and some secondary markets are blue/pretty purple as well (San Francisco, Denver, Boston, etc.) The media is crumbling. Their ability to influence is waning and changes coming will be very large.

In some ways it won't matter. Student loan debt is at over a trillion dollars owed to the Federal Government and it is the only debt you cannot discharge via a bankruptcy. Let's see how many of these young debt slaves become lifelong Democratic voters as an example. That doesn't mean Republicans have the answer either but status quo isn't going to fix it and doubling down on the bad solutions isn't going to fix it. Change needs to happen.
  quote
Dave
Ninja Editor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, TX
 
2017-06-09, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
In some ways it won't matter. Student loan debt is at over a trillion dollars owed to the Federal Government and it is the only debt you cannot discharge via a bankruptcy. Let's see how many of these young debt slaves become lifelong Democratic voters as an example. That doesn't mean Republicans have the answer either but status quo isn't going to fix it and doubling down on the bad solutions isn't going to fix it. Change needs to happen.
Until our political system stops rewarding "defensive" voting, those are the only two realistic options. It'll be interesting to see what breaks first.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-07-27, 18:13

So who would've thought that Donald Trump would turn the government of The Unites States of America into a sickening reality TV show after only 6 months in office? Not me, even as unhinged and idiotic as I thought he was, he has exceeded every gross expectation. For example, I will not, as White House Communication Director Anthony Scaramucci teases an upcoming episode, watch White House Chief Strategist Stephen K. Bannon suck his own cock.


These are the people in charge.

So it goes.
  quote
Jason
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
 
2017-07-27, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So who would've thought that Donald Trump would turn the government of The United States of America into a sickening reality TV show after only 6 months in office? Not me, even as unhinged and idiotic as I thought he was, he has exceeded every gross expectation. For example, I will not, as White House Communication Director Anthony Scaramucci teases an upcoming episode, watch White House Chief Strategist Stephen K. Bannon suck his own cock.
Viewing the USA from outside the country, American politics looks like a train wreck. It's just lurching from one embarrassment to the next. At this rate, no-one is going to take the country seriously anymore.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-07-27, 18:35

Because it is, and no-one should.

Today, Senate Republicans drafted (at lunch) a secret bill affecting the lives and health of millions of American citizens. The Republican senators will only vote yes on this bill tonight if they have assurances from the House Republicans that they will not vote yes on it. Because then, it's Trump's scribble away from becoming law. And the law would be terrible for the country. Fucking what.

So it goes.
  quote
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: that interweb thing
 
2017-07-28, 03:28

Saw three interesting bits of video from Washington this week:

1) Massive respect for John McCain.

His hard earned POW and Veteran's cred took a hit for me with the whole picking insanely unqualified Palin debacle, but returning from Brain Cancer at risk of your life to make a brilliant speech in favour of a return to bipartisanship... Legacy assured... and then the final vote to seal the deal (and perhaps stick it to Trump)... if he popped his clogs tomorrow, I think history would remember him well.


2) Scaramucci, OTOH... geez... could his nose be any further up Trump's ass 💩?

Anyone with access to video/Google can tell when he's being insincere... (hint: lips moving.)
Scaramucci may be Trump's id unleashed (inappropriate language, bullying, paranoia... one id is bad enough... doubling up seems to be a train wreck waiting to happen)
He (and Trump) seem to chronically be confusing Loyalty with Fealty.


3) Bill Browder's briefing to the Judiciary committee

Clear history of the Magnitsky act and Putin's efforts to undo it (in part through the actions of Natalya Veseltnetskaya - linking Trump Jr, Kushner, and Manafort to the chronicle of evil action undertaken in the last decade by Putin's deputised lackeys as the Kleptocracy acts to try and hide their corrupt practices). If you can find his testimony on CSPAN or elsewhere, it's worth a watch. Riveting stuff that would hardly seem out of place in a spy thriller.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2017-07-28, 15:15

Browder's book is well worth reading.

As for the Mooch, SNL needs to cast Ben Stiller to play this guy.

  quote
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-07-31, 17:18

....and he's gone.

(I secretly think he wasn't fired for being vulgar, I think he was fired because he briefly took more of the spotlight than DJ T was getting, and DJ T got jealous.)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
  quote
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: that interweb thing
 
2017-07-31, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
....and he's gone.

(I secretly think he wasn't fired for being vulgar, I think he was fired because he briefly took more of the spotlight than DJ T was getting, and DJ T got jealous.)
Ding Ding Ding!

DJ T id -vs.- Mooch as DJ T id was a contest only having one acceptable winner.

Meanwhile, Trump seems to flip between Twitter and a staff of sycophants competing to serve up "Mirror Mirror on the wall..." validation and tell the Emperor what lovely clothes he has and how big his hands look... 🤦‍♂️

How long Gen. Kelly puts up with Trump ignoring or contradicting him is another matter... but it might get interesting.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
  quote
Dr. Bobsky
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: A town that Germany forgot.
 
2017-08-13, 16:31

The US is certainly winning under Trump. So so tired of all this winning, just as the walking orangeade said I would be.
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2017-08-13, 23:10

For those keeping score at home, Monclova Township (really unsure why the media keeps claiming Maumee - it isn't) was in my high school district. I wish I could say I'm shocked, but there are two different Nazi cells there amongst maybe a thousand people.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-10-30, 12:16

Papadopoulos, the one name you can be sure Trump tweets "Isn't even real. Saw on Sesame Street once. Never met. FAKE NEWS. WHERE IS HILLARY AND OSCAR COLLUSION INVESTIGATION????"

So it goes.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-10-30, 17:44

Um... this is a very real thing btw. Imma start a new thread, since this one is ostensibly past its usefulness.
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2017-11-02, 10:21

Brazile takes aim at Hillary Clinton. This is going to be entertaining.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-11-02, 11:12

Doubtful. It's more an indictment of DWS, which everyone at this point pretty much has heard about and agrees with.

It would have been a more interesting story to hear how she fed questions to Hillary, not that she cried listening to gospel music while telling Bernie what he already knew.

Hopefully you're right and it does get entertaining. Anything to shine a spotlight on election money, donors, and misuse. Maybe JoeBob will realize he's paying for TheDon and his family's legal bills, not for his coal job to come back as promised.

So it goes.
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2017-11-06, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Anything to shine a spotlight on election money, donors, and misuse.
Not according to the mainstream media. And people wonder why nobody with a brain trusts network news anymore.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-11-07, 10:25

Or maybe some people did their research and came to the conclusion that it was a bunch of self-serving, exaggerated hooey. She's out to sell books, after all.

That's not to say the DNC doesn't have massive problems, but the more Brazile speaks the less credible she sounds.

So it goes.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2017-11-07, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
...
but the more [any political figure] speaks the less credible [they] sound(s).
FTFY.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2017-11-10, 21:08

Ya know, I'm 50 years old, and if I was to date again (gods forbid) I'd probably be like "Well, somebody 10 years younger would maybe be OK, at the most 15" because you know, life experience, relatability, that sort of thing. It would just be too much effort to date anyone younger than that, right? The older you get it kind've gets more muddled I guess. Like, when I'm 60 I could maybe see myself dating a 40 year old. That's a huge gap, of course, but a smart chick at 40 knows what the score is.

That said, in my mid-30s I did not have any desire to date girls a decade-plus below my age. Teenagers (some barely) just weren't on my radar. Well, unless I just wanted to strip them down and have them touch my hard cock through my tighty-whities. But then I would be a disgusting, gross, creepy immoral person. Or the next Republican Senator from Alabama.

But hey, Mary, Mother of God and Grace, was a teen and Joseph was an older dude, and they made baby Jesus. <-- actual, real defense. wtf

Thank gods for Marshall Space Flight Center and addabox, otherwise I'd write the whole fucking state off as a loss.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-11-10 at 21:23.
  quote
addabox
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: oaktown
 
2017-11-11, 12:36

I dunno man, if they vote him in we may need to write it off, the good graces of NASA and myself notwithstanding.

I mean, I'm seeing people say that they'd vote for him even if it's all true, because liberals are worse.

So that's where we're at. The rightwing outrage machine has made of liberals such a black hole of evil that the target demographic would vote for a pedophile over one of "them." Openly and proudly. I wonder what else they'd be willing to tolerate? Serial killer?

OTOH there's been a fascinating discussion of why Moore's behavior hasn't been met with more outrage in certain quarters: the homeschooling "quiverfull" wing of evangelical Christianity openly advocates for marrying girls off as young as 13, since that allows the safe passage of the sacred vessel of womenhood from paternal custody to spousal custody without a chance for the devil to get in there and fuck shit up. In their parlance, girls are like "apple trees" which the farmer (dad) has a duty and obligation to care for until the apples are beginning to "ripen", at which point he may distribute said apples to anyone he deems worthy or needful. Can't let those apples just hang there on the tree, and of course all the apples don't ripen at once so get while the getting is good.

All of which is entirely nauseating, but within these closed communities girls have no agency whatsoever beyond being groomed for wifely duties, so apparently as long as everybody is godly it's all good.

Hey, remember the Duck Dynasty patriarch? He figures 15 is a good age for a wife. Same dude who's buds with the extremely godly Mike Huckabee, among other right wing figures. You have to figure there's at least tacit aproval of this shit across the evangelical community. Should be interesting to see if Moore's troubles provoke an outing of the whole rotten system. They'll all cry religious freedom and persecution of "christians", of course.

I feel like we're living through some genuine transformation. The constant drumbeat of revelation re sexual harassment, abuse and rape from now dozens of public figures, the panoply of people elected last Tuesday (including the trans women who outsed the guy who wrote the bathroom bill, in one of the sweetest moments of karmic justice I've seen in a while), now the Moore thing... like the lid is coming off.

And it cuts both ways-- elements of the right that are frankly medieval in their outlook are obliged to stand up be counted, to drop the carefully coded language and yell "damn right women are cunts and chattel, damn right niggers are violent and stupid, damn right democracy is useless to us and damn right give us our authoritarin white theocracy right now." Like the jig is up and there's no more point in equivocating.

Despite Trump's election and continuing support from what looks to be about 30% of the country, I don't think we're necessarily that. Trump won because the dems didn't give their constituencies enough to vote for, whereas he gave his the kind of blood and thunder, take no prisoners nonsense that stirs the belly while it dulls the mind. This talk of "working class white people" who apparently are to be considered the only true Americans is beside the point. The majority of Americans who voted for Clinton aren't some kind of occupying army, they're Americans as well. Normal Americans. And it is, in fact, racist to frame all of this as if the long suffering people of the heartland, plucked from a Grant Wood painting, have somehow an exclusive claim to grievance and authenticity. I mean, look at how the "opioid epidemic" (white) has been framed compared to "drug addicts" (black) if you doubt that white supremacy is alive and well. The former, a medical crisis that has tragically afflicted normal Americans, especially those self-same "working class whites", requiring compassion and investment. The latter, a manifest expression of low character and criminality, requring arrest and imprisonment.

But change is afoot. The dems are getting better candidates. They too, are moved to speak more clearly as to their values, here in these vexed times. And just like overt racism or sexism or authoritarianism may drive certain voters to the polls, a candidate that's willing to stand up and be counted for unapologeticly progressive values is going to tap a perhaps heretofore undervalued constituancy. And the savage, brutal nature of the current Republican party is definitely pushing those candidates to run. Of the 15 seats the Dems flipped in the Virginia election, 11 were woman. Kind of instructive.

There really is such a thing as liberal populism, but it isn't predicated on appealing to the lesser nature of working class whites by implying that their woes arise out of "those people" getting all the breaks, or "liberal elites" consipring to humiliate them. It starts by weaning itself off the corporate money that distorts any hope of genuine ecomonic reform, it instists on diversity as a asset, not a power grab, and it alligns the plight of pretty much everybody but the top 10% with concrete legislation to alleviate the insane decoupling of the wealthy few from the ever more burdened many. The Republican Party is already well on its way towards being totally dismantled in favor of an angry, nativist, paranoid minority of aggrieved whites who are literally beyond the reach of argument and who despise the foundational structures of the United States as corrupt and contemptable. They respond only to rhetoric that feeds into the belief that every aspect of a functioning democracy-- the courts, a free media, the electoral system, informed expertise, verifiable truth, the government itself-- is to be swept aside in favor of whatever a bellicose strongman deems to be necessary to "restore order." Incipient fascism, in other words.

But the severity of this crisis means that the Democratic Party can undergo just as sweeping a transformation, one that emphasizes inclusion, economic justice, fact and science based decision making, and an overt championing of our shared values and institutions. That doesn't mean they'll have all the answers or usher in a golden age, but it does mean we might just have a chance yet of wresting our country from the forces that would make of us a banana republic.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
  quote
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of ice and snow
Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2017-11-11, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Ya know, I'm 50 years old, and if I was to date again (gods forbid) I'd probably be like "Well, somebody 10 years younger would maybe be OK, at the most 15" because you know, life experience, relatability, that sort of thing. It would just be too much effort to date anyone younger than that, right? The older you get it kind've gets more muddled I guess. Like, when I'm 60 I could maybe see myself dating a 40 year old. That's a huge gap, of course, but a smart chick at 40 knows what the score is.

That said, in my mid-30s I did not have any desire to date girls a decade-plus below my age. Teenagers (some barely) just weren't on my radar. Well, unless I just wanted to strip them down and have them touch my hard cock through my tighty-whities. But then I would be a disgusting, gross, creepy immoral person. Or the next Republican Senator from Alabama.

But hey, Mary, Mother of God and Grace, was a teen and Joseph was an older dude, and they made baby Jesus. <-- actual, real defense. wtf

Thank gods for Marshall Space Flight Center and addabox, otherwise I'd write the whole fucking state off as a loss.
Never change man.

But as someone that is actually in the mid-thirties age group and actively getting back into dating, your points ring true about the decade plus age gap. It’s just too much to bridge, and I feel so downright creepy when I give it a shot on the rare occasion when one shows interest.

This whole sequence just shows how demonizing ideological divides just blinds people to just plain common sense and hunan decency.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
  quote
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-11-17, 18:27

If you just got done telling their mother you would babysit while the mom went into court, you shouldn't date them.
  quote
Dave
Ninja Editor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, TX
 
2017-11-30, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I dunno man, if they vote him in we may need to write it off, the good graces of NASA and myself notwithstanding.

I mean, I'm seeing people say that they'd vote for him even if it's all true, because liberals are worse.

So that's where we're at. The rightwing outrage machine has made of liberals such a black hole of evil that the target demographic would vote for a pedophile over one of "them."
That's what democrats said about republicans during Bill Clinton's campaign & presidency. I'm not saying it's a particularly good argument, but the only thing "new" about it is that the republicans are finally (and for the worse, IMHO) using the same voting logic as the democrats.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2017-12-01, 11:56

Bill Clinton wasn't a kidfucker. False equivalency.
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2017-12-01, 23:06

And if he was, he would have been ousted. Not celebrated, like the GOP voters are doing with the Alabama Diddler.
  quote
addabox
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: oaktown
 
2017-12-07, 15:13

If it wasn't for false equivalencies I'm not sure the right would have much to talk about.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2018-11-06, 15:10

  quote
lili24
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
 
2018-11-12, 12:14

the secondary tier as quickly as most years, although there is definitely precedent for this. The biggest change that I see is the more public battles between the entire crowd. Audacity Find My iPhone Origin
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 60 of 61 First Previous 56 57 58 59 [60] 61  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama's new campaign ad... PKIDelirium AppleOutsider 19 Yesterday 23:23
Election Day theme kieran Feedback 30 2008-11-06 00:32
How are YOU watching the election? Fahrenheit AppleOutsider 58 2008-11-05 03:45
New Mac ad campaign defaultmike Speculation and Rumors 40 2006-07-13 07:10
The Campaign (the new iMac, not the other one) pscates2.0 General Discussion 51 2004-09-09 21:43


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova