User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2017
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-05-09, 14:06

Keynote announced. Not a surprise, since Apple always has one at WWDC.

I predict our service department will whine that OS 10.13 doesn't have whatchamadoohikkies.

Something tells me Siri will be front and center. People seem to want to talk to their things a lot more these days.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-05-09, 15:29

My brief wishlist for iOS 11:
  • Location Manager. Be more contextually aware — I may want different notification, network, security, etc. settings depending on whether I'm home or at work.
  • Default apps. Still.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-05-09, 20:44

I'm actually looking forward to this one. I have no plans to buy new gear, but they haven't presented anything to me yet either.

I am looking forward to the new software upgrades and innovation there. Sure I expect more to be tweaking rather than revolutionary but still.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 08:20

Only a few more hours and we get to see what's Apple's going to pull out of their hat. I do hope there are some really awesome products and innovation. If they move away from "thin" being the requirement I'm sure they will be fantastic.

Seeing the next OS will be awesome as well.

At least, I hope it will be an awesome event. I'm going to be able to watch the whole thing again this time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-05, 08:45

This is the most I've been looking forward to a WWDC in a few years.

Definitely interested in changes to the iPad OS and how that all works.

Strangely, I'm very interested in the rumored Siri Speaker as well. Who knows if it will actually happen though.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-06-05, 10:03

Once more for the record: All consumers ever wanted was a 13" MacBook Air with a Retina screen.

Will Apple finally listen and reintroduce a modern 13" MacBook for the masses?
¡Damned!

2017-06-05, 10:23

I'm waiting for an iMac update so I expect to be disappointed today, but oddly I'm pretty excited about the new OSs – especially about the idea of some sort of accessible file management in iOS. Not that I even have an idea of how I'd utilize it, but it just feels like an important step. *shrug*

Hardware-wise I am prepared to be less than dazzled. I hope I'm wrong.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-05, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Once more for the record: All consumers ever wanted was a 13" MacBook Air with a Retina screen.

Will Apple finally listen and reintroduce a modern 13" MacBook for the masses?
This has already happened. The MacBook is the true replacement. It's everything the MacBook Air should have become.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-06-05, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
This has already happened. The MacBook is the true replacement. It's everything the MacBook Air should have become.
Nah. Maybe it's just me (wouldn't be the first time) but the 12" is too small to type comfortably, the screen is gorgeous, but feels cramped.
The keyboard needs to be tweaked like the Pros were, and it needs more than one port. In other words, a 13" MacBook Air with a Retina display.

Of course, Apple may just think users should pony up for the 13" Pro.
But there's a whole lot of choice on the PC side these days, and the back-to-school market's going to be fierce. Give the people what they want!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 11:21

The only reason Apple didn't have less ports on the Airs originally is they didn't think they could get away with it like they did the the current MBPs. It was geared to be a stripped down and light weight wireless only computer. That is what the MacBook is now.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-06-05, 11:24

I can't wait to see this keynote. I get to watch it live for work purposes. I'm gonna be hanging out on Twitter chatting - we had a group DM last time and it was fun!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
arteggio

2017-06-05, 11:44

From the MacRumors live stream:

Quote:
Dave Lee of the BBC says media have been told to expect the keynote to run longer than two hours.
Hopefully it'll be an eventful day at WWDC. =)

I'm eying the new OSs, maybe a MacBook update, and whatever this Siri Speaker will be. And hopefully some new and unexpected things.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 12:05

I'm actually hoping for a really good iMac update now that I finally need one. More than two hours.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 22:27

Should I be surprised no one mention HomePod yet? No, I didn't think so.

At that price point it matches the HiFi from 10 years ago. This one apparently sounds much better, but I haven't heard on in real life yet.

Siri inside is not a shock, though the fact that the guts come from an iPhone means it is doing some real computing to make it's magic happen. Either than or they had a large stock of chips laying around they needed something to do with.

I like the fact that they acknowledge the privacy factor, they are the first company to put out a statement about the privacy thought for an assistant like this. I'm still not sure I want a device like this in my home, but if I were, the stance Apple has means I'm more likely to do it.

The details were a little fuzzy, but if this will play my iTunes in the Cloud library without me needing my phone or Mac playing to it then I'm also interested. Wondering how it works for when I do want my phone to be the source, or at least the control.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-06-05, 23:04

It seems that the thing only works with Apple Music, so it may not be much more than a radio with some Siri crap. In other words, if it won't work with my local iTunes library, it's just a paper weight, and I will have a very hard time selling it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-06-06, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm still not sure I want a device like this in my home, but if I were, the stance Apple has means I'm more likely to do it.
Does the HomePod have an OFF switch? Or do you have to unplug it to ensure privacy?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-06, 08:21

It's apparently not listening to anything unless you say "Hey Siri" which I'm sure can be proven very easily with some network tests.

I'm all in on Apple Music and I've been wanting a smart speaker that can work with HomeKit for a while. I'm definitely going to be ordering this later this year. If ti works, great. If not, it's just another product that didn't fit my needs. Oh well.

I'm expecting it be be good though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-06, 08:31

If it's Apple then I'm sure there is no off button. Of course, you would be able to put it on a switch controlled outlet. I've yet to see a full round of pictures of it. Only the front and a partial profile where you can see a cord coming out of the back. Having it on a switch doesn't seem like an all bad idea though.

I'm sure there will be network tests done and they should be able to clearly that it's communicating, but everything should be encrypted so it's not likely we'll know what it's communicating. We might see traffic but don't know if it's Siri or a playlist update.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-06, 09:19

I woulda bought it at $249. At $349, I'm… hesitant. Maybe I should just get some AirPlay speaker.

What's latency like anyway? Can you watch a video on your iPad and have the sound come from the speaker, or is the delay awkward?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-06, 14:01

They did mention that it could play sound from an Apple TV.

I wonder if I could get two of these and pair them up with my Apple TV and get nice stereo sound out of it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-06, 21:45

In the video for the keynote they did show them using two at one point and commended about them working together. I'm sure it would sound better than one.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-19, 12:50

iOS 11 is now available. I've been using it for a while on my iPad and love it. Shame I had to give up some of my favorite 32bit apps though.

¡Damned!

2017-09-19, 12:57

Do you know if it forces you to upgrade to iTunes 12.7? I'm not sure that I want to go the phone-only route yet when it comes to organizing/updating apps. That's going to take some getting used to.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-19, 13:01

Yeah I did. I don't mind. I thought I would mind but I don't. Where it will be a problem down the line is if the app I no longer available in the store and you really want to load it again. That was what I had to do for a few apps that aren't there now. There might be a way to "side load" valid apps but I doubt it.

Edit: I just realized I never actually answered your question and I misread it. I don't know if it's required. I'm going to guess that it is though. It wasn't during beta I can say that much.

Last edited by turtle : 2017-09-19 at 13:56.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-19, 13:55

WatchOS 4 is available too. You have to do iOS 11 on your phone first though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-25, 12:49

macOS High Sierra is now available in the MAS.