User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to combine multiple internet connections for maximum speed?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to combine multiple internet connections for maximum speed?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 10:52

I'm not sure this is even possible. I have internet access over my T-Mobile blackberry which gives me about 80kbps. My college has wi-fi, but it's slow too. I might be able to get about 100kbps. When I turn on the BlackBerry connection and connect to the Wi-Fi network, Mac OS X defaults to the BlackBerry connection. Is it possible to put both connections together to use the full 180kbps at once?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-17, 10:56

I don't think so.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-11-17, 10:56

Best you could do is use a several different ones at the same time. You can't just add them together into a single fatter pipe. You just have to multi-task.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-11-17, 11:07

Indeed. We have "bonded" broadband here, that takes two ADSL lines and merges them into one, supposedly larger, connection. But in reality, it just doesn't work very well, and requires dedicated hardware to do at all.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-17, 11:28

You can get a box that takes two ethernet connections on one side and LAN on the other. I don't think that your blackberry has ethernet out though, so...
Can't you get DSL?

Converted 07/2005.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Best you could do is use a several different ones at the same time. You can't just add them together into a single fatter pipe. You just have to multi-task.
How can I switch back and forth between them without closing one? Whenever two are running, I only get access from the BlackBerry. I can do LAN stuff over the Airport, but I get no internet. It would be nice if I could, say, do a download from iTunes over the Airport and web browsing with the BlackBerry at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Can't you get DSL?
In my college dorm room? I doubt the administration would like that. I did look it up, though. FiOS is available, but no DSL. I know the administration would have a problem with having to make all the changes to the telephone system that FiOS requires, as nice as it would be.