User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 7 of 33 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Foj
Veteran Member

2014-01-06, 10:37

Watched a couple of episodes of the newer Doctor Who series. Now I've gotten a few episodes of the classic series. Going to spend a little time with the 1st Doctor.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-01-06, 21:15

Sherlock episode two did not disappoint.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
zippy
Veteran Member

2014-01-08, 18:11

Anyone Know of a good UK proxy address for watching BBC iPlayer from over on this side of the pond? I'd love to watch the new Sherlock episodes sooner as opposed to later!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2014-02-25, 14:41

So nobody even wants to venture an opinion on Heroes Reborn?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-02-25, 14:47

Heroes? The show with the chick that couldn't die but who in real life loves dolphins so very, very much?

Can't say I watched more than an episode of the original series. So opinion wise ... it will not register a blink on my radar if I even remember it is being made.
¡Damned!

2014-02-25, 14:50

I watched a handful episodes from Season 1. Can't say I'm a fan, but I know there's a lot of people out there excited about it.

Same thing with "24" reborn. I get that it was massively popular for a while, but it never stuck with me as something I'd tune in to religiously.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-02-25, 14:59

If you're not watching House Of Cards you need to close this tab now, go to www.netflix.com and sign up.

Now.

I'll wait.

Good, eh?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-02-25, 14:59

More importantly, how about the awesome-ness of True Detective on HBO?
¡Damned!

2014-02-25, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
The show with the chick that couldn't die but who in real life loves dolphins so very, very much?
More so than her dolphin thing, this is all I can think about when I see her now.

I mean, not to be crass, but how does that even work?

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-02-25, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
More importantly, how about the awesome-ness of True Detective on HBO?
Holy fuck. Best show on teevee right now, bar none.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-02-25, 15:12

Between that and the impending John Oliver show, I might have to crack and pay my TV supplier for the package that include HBO and a load of shitty channels I don't want.
¡Damned!

2014-02-25, 15:18

It's insanely good. When I first heard a few months ago about Harrelson and McConaughey teaming up for a show on HBO I was instantly all in, but it's gone leaps beyond my expectations. McConaughey is a fucking revelation. I'm just bummed that they won't be back for a second season. I don't know how they're ever going to top this duo.

So it goes.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2014-02-25, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
If you're not watching House Of Cards you need to close this tab now, go to www.netflix.com and sign up.

Now.

I'll wait.

Good, eh?
I watched the whole second season in 3 days. I had work those 3 days too. Did nothing else, pretty much. Awesome, awesome show.
Quagmire
meh

2014-02-25, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I'm sorry Ziva's gone too. I liked pretty much everything about her character, *except* for the screenwriters continuing to add in her mis-use of American slang and colloquial expressions. This trait was sort of amusing for a while, but can start to annoy the viewer as time passes and as it crops up repeatedly in too many episodes.

I never liked Gibbs slapping Tony on the back of the head. In fact, the whole military structure of subservience of lesser ranks to their superiors adds an unappealing tone to NCIS. This subservience *isn't* found in NCIS Los Angeles, and the latter program is so much the better for not having people treat each other in an abusive way.

I've always hated the way Tony treated McGee - putting him down, criticizing him, playing dirty tricks on him, just because he's a "probie." Tony *looks* good, but someone who treats others in an abusive way loses his appeal almost completely, and the good looks become meaningless. I don't understand how the people who put this program together thought that giving Tony such an abusive character would somehow be appealing. I think most women would hate such brutality.

McGee never treats others abusively, nor does Abby. It's too bad the writers couldn't manage to let Tony's character grow and change. That would have added so much more depth to this tv drama. And, again, I can't help comparing NCIS to NCIS Los Angeles. So many differences, and none of the military rank-pulling hierarchy that can engender unpleasant maltreatment among the characters.
So you pretty much hate what makes NCIS, NCIS? The head slaps, the Ziva misuse of slang, etc( though this stopped when she became an American citizen and an official NCIS agent), all of McGee's nicknames( McGeek, McSidekick, Elf Lord, etc), etc. The team is about family. Gibbs is the father, McGee/Tony are brothers, Ziva was the daughter/sister figure( yet Tony's love interest. yay incest?), etc. Don't know how Bishop will fit into that family. You can clearly see it by how Gibbs is defensive over his team and by his comment in season 9 by how he isn't lonely because of his kids.

I hate NCIS: LA and I am not sold on the idea of NCIS: NO.

Also, I am not warming up to Bishop so far. Don't hate her, but I don't like her either. Either go to a three man team or get my favorite Israeli back when Cote is finished with the Chilean mine film.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2014-02-25 at 17:06.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-02-25, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
More so than her dolphin thing, this is all I can think about when I see her now.

I mean, not to be crass, but how does that even work?
The average woman's vagina is 4 inches deep. The average man's penis is 5-6 inches long. A penis is almost always going to be too big to completely fit into a vagina, so I wouldn't worry too much about how that works.
¡Damned!

2014-02-25, 16:57

I was talking about dancing together. Jesus, bobsky.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-02-26, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Between that and the impending John Oliver show, I might have to crack and pay my TV supplier for the package that include HBO and a load of shitty channels I don't want.
FYI
Comcast has an interesting deal right now that includes internet, broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) and just HBO for 12 months. I think it was like 39.99 or 49.99.
Anonymous Coward

2014-02-26, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
FYI
Comcast has an interesting deal right now that includes internet, broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) and just HBO for 12 months. I think it was like 39.99 or 49.99.
Today I was quoted $49.99, plus $8.00 per month for modem rental. Supposedly not a limited time offer that goes up to some higher, regular price after a trial period.

(The Comcast signal at my house has been unusable for a couple of weeks so I called to complain, and they reset the cable box. The representative told me of the offer after the troubleshooting session was complete.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2014-02-28, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's insanely good. When I first heard a few months ago about Harrelson and McConaughey teaming up for a show on HBO I was instantly all in, but it's gone leaps beyond my expectations. McConaughey is a fucking revelation. I'm just bummed that they won't be back for a second season. I don't know how they're ever going to top this duo.
Hell yeah. I love this show. It's doing a nice job of easing my still lingering Breaking Bad withdrawals. McConaughey is crazy good.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-02-28, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
FYI
Sadly* I live in the Canadark, so no Comcast for me.

* = I say sadly, but I don't hear great things about Comcast overall...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-11, 17:53

I've just become aware of "Portlandia". But I've been catching up, now that I grasp what's going on (sketches, people playing multiple characters, etc.).

I'm crushing so hard on Carrie Brownstein. Smart, funny, pale skin, big smile, great voice...kinda hitting all my marks, she does.

I love all the types/situations they satirize and ridicule. Some of it, you cackle as you squirm a bit (because I see a lot of my friends and acquaintances represented on this show). I've only been to Portland once, but I recognize every single thing they're skewering!

I'll be watching it and saying to myself "yep, I saw that...".

I think some equally talented/funny folks could do a sister show set in Austin.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-04-11, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've just become aware of "Portlandia". But I've been catching up, now that I grasp what's going on (sketches, people playing multiple characters, etc.).

I'm crushing so hard on Carrie Brownstein. Smart, funny, pale skin, big smile, great voice...kinda hitting all my marks, she does.

I love all the types/situations they satirize and ridicule. Some of it, you cackle as you squirm a bit (because I see a lot of my friends and acquaintances represented on this show). I've only been to Portland once, but I recognize every single thing they're skewering!

I'll be watching it and saying to myself "yep, I saw that...".

I think some equally talented/funny folks could do a sister show set in Austin.
If you haven't seen it, check out the episode that includes "She's Making Jewelry Now" (hilarious in its own right). The girl who plays Carrie Brownstein's sister is her real life sister, and she is insanely hot.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-12, 14:46

I saw that. And yes.

I never thought Fred Armisen was funny on SNL, but he cracks me up here. The timid guy, the artisan movie theater snacks, Spike, etc.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-04-12, 15:23

Yeah, all I can remember Armisen doing on SNL was straight men and that weird Mexican drummer character. SNL seems to have an issue with knowing what to do with some of their cast members, since once they leave they do much better work. And yet they fill air time with some of the most half-assed, unfunny shit imaginable.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
murbot
Hoonigan

2014-06-10, 11:08

Anyone watching Game of Thrones? I started from scratch a few weeks ago and have 1 episode to go before I'm caught up. I am loving it. I don't let my kids watch much (obviously) but my daughter was not thrilled that I shared the very end of episode 8 with her last night.

It's been so nice flying from season to season like this. After tonight's viewing of episode 9 it's all downhill. Another week to the finale, then I am faced with the gruesome prospect of needing TWO YEARS to watch the next two seasons. Not sure how I'll cope.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 11:19

You'll cope by saving your money and getting HBO next year.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-06-10, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Another week to the finale, then I am faced with the gruesome prospect of needing TWO YEARS to watch the next two seasons. Not sure how I'll cope.
Welcome to the hell that GRRM leaves the book readers in.

After the Storm of Swords release in 2000, it took five years to release A Feast for Crows (2005) which only covered half of the characters. This was then followed by another 6 year wait for the other half of the story in the release of A Dance with Dragons in 2011.

The sixth installment The Winds of Winter is not expected to be finished until the end of 2015 at the earliest.

I only watched the first season of the series, as I was too disgusted with the idiocy-ing of the plot and new storylines. Maybe I'll go back and watch the rest in 1020 years once it is over, and the general public hysteria dies down. Kind of like what I did with Lost.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2014-06-10, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Anyone watching Game of Thrones? I started from scratch a few weeks ago and have 1 episode to go before I'm caught up. I am loving it. I don't let my kids watch much (obviously) but my daughter was not thrilled that I shared the very end of episode 8 with her last night.

It's been so nice flying from season to season like this. After tonight's viewing of episode 9 it's all downhill. Another week to the finale, then I am faced with the gruesome prospect of needing TWO YEARS to watch the next two seasons. Not sure how I'll cope.
Hell fucking yes.

The great thing about GoT is, when you're in the doldrums of late summer with no good TV and no good sports, you can go back and rewatch the whole thing. Totally worth it.

Also tits.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-06-10, 21:20

There is a show that just started on AMC called "Halt And Catch Fire" that is pretty good. It's set in the early '80s and is about the start of the PC revolution. If you like Mad Men you'll probably like it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 21:29

AND it's shot here in Atlantarrrr.