AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Please tell my why NOT to buy a Acer TravelMate 8204WLMi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please tell my why NOT to buy a Acer TravelMate 8204WLMi
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
m4hl3r

2006-01-25, 08:03

Hello.

I've been using Mac for quite some time now, have a iMac, PowerBook and also once had a iBook. But, I'm looking for a new laptop to replace the PowerBook - because it's not really mine .. my dads, long story.

I've been so close to ordering a MacBook Pro 1.83 .. like 10 times. But .. can't go though with it.

1. 4 times faster than the "old" PowerBook .. ? .. I'll believe it when I see it.
2. Battery life ?
3. It's a rev. A - and I personally think there'll appear be quite a few issues.
4. There's not really any software - Photoshop, InDesign etc.

Wouldn't it just be much easier - maybe even better - to go with the Acer 8204WLMi ?

Same price as the 1.83 MacBook Pro - $2499, but it got
1. Faster Core Dou (2.0 over 1.83)
2. More ram installed
3. Webcam is adjustable
4. Carbonfiber lid
5. The list goes on

The way I see it, it's kinda.. superior. I hoped I never say that - but isn't it ?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2324

http://us.acer.com/acerpanam/page4.d...crc=1074370188

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4...crc=2428054185

What's your opinion ?

Please don't see me as a "!"%!#&%(#& for doubting Apple. Normally it's Apple - Mac, that's superior and have the cutting egde technology.
But not this time - sadly - Just not this time.

There's a 3. option, should I just wait for a 15.3" or 17" Merom MacBook Pro ? (Anyone have a clue when that's coming ? I've heard, maybe as soon as mid 2006 - is that inconceivable ?)

Thanks in advance.

M4hl3r.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-25, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4hl3r
1. 4 times faster than the "old" PowerBook .. ? .. I'll believe it when I see it.
That's only the comparison of SPEC results, which are usually highly theoretical. Actual application results will probably not be quite as extreme. Benchmark comparisons must also, no matter what, always, always, always be attached with a big fat 'YMMV' sign.

Quote:
2. Battery life ?
So you prefer unclear battery life over low battery life? 3.5 hours max doesn't sound all that promising.

Quote:
3. It's a rev. A - and I personally think there'll appear be quite a few issues.
Same for the Acer, so that's moot.

Quote:
4. There's not really any software - Photoshop, InDesign etc.
That will change over time. Every passing day, over a dozen of Mac apps gets released as universal binaries.

Quote:
Same price as the 1.83 MacBook Pro - $2499, but it got
1. Faster Core Dou (2.0 over 1.83)
2. More ram installed
Indeed.

Quote:
3. Webcam is adjustable
Be aware that this usually translates to "difficult to find an ideal setting" and/or "frequently needs repair". Such adjustments are prone to problems.

Quote:
4. Carbonfiber lid
Explain to me why you feel this is an advantage over aluminum.

What I see is that it's larger, thicker and heavier, whether slightly so or not. That's a big downside to me.

Quote:
There's a 3. option, should I just wait for a 15.3" or 17" Merom MacBook Pro ? (Anyone have a clue when that's coming ? I've heard, maybe as soon as mid 2006 - is that inconceivable ?)
And why do you have a feeling that that would be cheaper than the Acer offering?

Acer sells products at a cheaper price compared to other companies such as Apple, IBM and Samsung. That doesn't necessarily mean that Acer's quality is worse, although this is definitely the general information that I'm reading and hearing.

Also, you're on a Mac forum, so I'm not sure why you don't even think to mention the fact that you won't, of course, be (legally) able to run Mac OS X on the Acer at all. That alone is worth quite a bit, at least to me.
kaseyha

2006-01-25, 08:16

The reason to use a Mac is the OS, generally speaking there has always been a slight premium paid for the privelege of owning an Apple product. If the OS isn't a consideration and you actually prefer to use Windows then buy the Acer. Although, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would voluntarily start using Windows as thier primary OS after having used OS X. . .
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-25, 08:45

One word: Windows.

Seriously. It's not all about the spec-whoring, it's about how useful and suitable to do the job that computer is. That's why I use a Mac. I spend a fair bit of every work day fixing everyones Windows problems. I can't be arsed to have to fix my own problems with the same kind of frequency.

The OS is the killer spec that trumps all the other stuff.

Plus, Acers are Fugly. (I have a few at work)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-25, 08:48

Yeah, it doesn't occur to me as particularly beautiful, especially next to a MacBook Pro.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-25, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyha
The reason to use a Mac is the OS, generally speaking there has always been a slight premium paid for the privelege of owning an Apple product. If the OS isn't a consideration and you actually prefer to use Windows then buy the Acer. Although, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would voluntarily start using Windows as thier primary OS after having used OS X. . .
Quoted for emphasis.

It's got a plethora of ports, but nothing that would make me choose it over a PB. The 9% processor speed difference isn't enough to raise a flag, although the 2GB memory is definitely nice.

Also, wtf with the curved keyboard?

You'd definitely want to try it first to make sure you like that keyboard, because if you find it uncomfortable...

It's attention to detail like the lighted keyboard and MagSafe. Also, connectors restricted to two sides... don't like when the notebook has ports on all four sides, never made sense to me.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-01-25, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
One word: Windows.
What Bryson said. All the spec-whoring in the world doesn't help you with having to run Windows rather than OS X everyday in life. And if OS X is so much more efficiently written than Windows as is generally held, then a "comparable" Windows machine would have to be faster just to match.
chucker

2006-01-25, 08:54

Not to mention the layout. Yuck. I never quite got that; only Apple seems to be remotely able to create a laptop keyboard layout that makes sense. Other manufacturers just randomly try to place the "stray" keys all over the corners. And worst, there's no standard to it whatsoever.
m4hl3r

2006-01-25, 09:14

Well.. What can I say - other than THANKS

Must admit, I was quite impressed with the spec, carbonfiber lid - that's cool, at least I think so. But then again, Apple is still superior - once again.

You got me on track again. OS X is the way to go. Period.

I'll never doubt OS X over some MS %#"& - not that I ever did. But you get the point. I'll just hang on untill there's a Merom 17" MacBook Pro.

Chucker and everyone else, thanks once again for all the replys.

1 last question, does anyone "know" when a Merom laptop come ? Is it far out in the future, or is it just right around the bend ?

M4hl3r
chucker

2006-01-25, 09:19

Quote:
1 last question, does anyone "know" when a Merom laptop come ? Is it far out in the future, or is it just right around the bend ?
Early summer at best.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-25, 10:30

The way I see it, I'd only go Windows for two reasons:

1. If I want/need Windows to run a certain program (games included)
2. If I need a really, REALLY inexpensive computer

I can't see myself paying lots of money for a Windows machine. I wouldn't be looking for a $2500 Windows notebook to compare to a MacBook Pro... if I had that much to throw around, I'd just get the Mac (unless #1 above applied). If, however, I need a $650 laptop, Macs are out of the question unless I buy used. In that case, I may choose to go with a new Windows laptop rather than a used Mac laptop.
m4hl3r

2006-01-25, 11:24

Well Luca, I don't have $2500 to "throw around" with .. but then again - yes I have, strange.. nvm. I agree with you - and all you others - OS X is MUCH better than Windows - 98, 2000, XP or what ever.

However, I like playing games, and it's rather limited how many games that'll run on OS X.
Designwise the Apple is better - period.
Hardware wise - well, Acer is better - period?
And here comes the splitter, software wise. Apple got OS X, iLife and other great stuff - PS, ID etc. But that will also run on the Acer - better. The Acer, have a lot of games plus the UBs.

Anyway, Chucker convinced me to stay away from MS and take Apple instead. - Did I say thanks ?

So, as said above, I'll just wait for a 17" Merom. But thanks eveyone.
chucker

2006-01-25, 11:26

Well, make sure you donate some to the WinXPOnMac contest if Windows gaming is important to you.
m4hl3r

2006-01-25, 11:32

Well, I'm not quite sure about this guy.. I personally don't think it's going to be a "single person" who makes that happen. Not that I always think the worst of people, but how do I know, he's not just ripping me off ? ..

I think - hope - that the issue will be solved before there's a 17" Merom on the market. Pretty sure. But let's see.
Zorn

2006-01-26, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Well, make sure you donate some to the WinXPOnMac contest if Windows gaming is important to you.
Damn! $6700? Last time I saw that page he only had the original $100 he put up.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-26, 11:47

Topic: Please tell my why NOT to buy a Acer TravelMate 8204WLMi

Reply: No one will like you.

chucker

2006-01-26, 12:05

That, too.
mrkamputee

2006-01-26, 12:53

I'll just chip in. I've had experience with Acer machines, they're horrible, and I'm going to be honest, Acer are what made me into a mac man. Their customer support is crap, the build quality of their laptops is appalling, and most importantly, you're not getting OS X.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-01-26, 13:21

The Merom MBP's will come. Just be patient. Earliest I'd say summer, but the latest I could imagine is Paris. Definitely sometime this year. I'm in the same boat waiting for a 17" however, so I know how you feel.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-26, 13:54

I'd like to note that the Acer comes with a weaker graphics card, so the although it has a slightly faster CPU, the GPU is weaker.

In my experience, the GPU is much more limiting than the CPU.
m4hl3r

2006-01-26, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn
Damn! $6700? Last time I saw that page he only had the original $100 he put up.
That's a lot of cash - lets hope he really is using that money to solve that issue - and not just ripping peoples money
chucker

2006-01-26, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I'd like to note that the Acer comes with a weaker graphics card, so the although it has a slightly faster CPU, the GPU is weaker.

In my experience, the GPU is much more limiting than the CPU.
As far as I can tell, they come with the exact same card?
chucker

2006-01-26, 14:14

Quote:
That's a lot of cash - lets hope he really is using that money to solve that issue - and not just ripping peoples money
He's not solving the issue. He contributed to it himself. Rather, he's hoping someone will take it as a bounty to solve the issue, and if they're successful, they get it.
m4hl3r

2006-01-26, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkamputee
I'll just chip in. I've had experience with Acer machines, they're horrible, and I'm going to be honest, Acer are what made me into a mac man. Their customer support is crap, the build quality of their laptops is appalling, and most importantly, you're not getting OS X.
Thanks MrKamputee, Chucker already convinced me, but now I'm definitely not "going Acer".

And RowDyScot, great to hear I'm not the only one, not jumping on one of those MacBook Pro's. I'm also hoping late summer, but time will show - we just got to keep our hopes high

But .. what should the pricetag for a 17" Merom Apple laptop be .. never mind, I'm not even going there - yet.

Once again, thanks everyone for all the replys.
m4hl3r

2006-01-26, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
As far as I can tell, they come with the exact same card?
The Acer TravelMate 8204WLMi comes with a:

RADEON® X1600 graphics 256MB DDR

The MacBook Pro (1.67 model) comes with a:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

The MacBook Pro (1.83 model) comes with a:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Is there a massive difference between the 256MB GDDR3 memory and the 256MB DDR memory ?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-26, 14:35

Sounds like you're young, which also means you're probably single. (read: not married)

You'll get hit on way more with an Apple laptop than you ever would with an Acer at any coffee shop or Library in the nation. To top it off it tends to be the artsy/hippy chicks, who are a hell of a lot more fun than the stuffy business types.

Think man!

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-26, 15:10

The GPU really isn't more limiting than the CPU. It's only a factor at all in GPU-intensive tasks, and those don't come up too often. Either way, regardless of which one is technically more powerful, the Acer will kill the PowerBook on gaming simply because it's running Windows and there aren't really any games that run as well on Macs as they do on Windows machines.

Other GPU-intensive tasks won't matter. The GPUs are very, very similar. The CPU, of course, is used constantly, and it is more important.
chucker

2006-01-26, 15:17

Quote:
The Acer TravelMate 8204WLMi comes with a:

RADEON® X1600 graphics 256MB DDR

The MacBook Pro (1.67 model) comes with a:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

The MacBook Pro (1.83 model) comes with a:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Is there a massive difference between the 256MB GDDR3 memory and the 256MB DDR memory ?
Oh, that. I'll actually give Acer the benefit of the doubt here. The X1600 probably only takes that kind of RAM (i.e., GDDR3). So that's probably what they mean. It's still "double data rate", so it's still DDR. Apple is just more specific regarding the precise type.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-26, 15:30

That's not what I was talking about. I got mixed up... Nevermind my post ^_^
chucker

2006-01-26, 15:44

Well, either way. The two GPUs are, for all intents and purposes, the same. The RAM might be different speed (but I strongly doubt that), but that's it.

So all in all, the two machines are somewhat comparable in terms of specs. However, it is the little things that distinguish them.