User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Travel bag/case will for the MacBook Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Travel bag/case will for the MacBook Pro?
AlexN

2006-02-21, 08:47

Hi all,

Apple is going to ship my MacBook Pro real soon, hopefully I will receive it this Friday or next Monday. I'm wondering which travel bag/case will fit my MacBook Pro? I've searched the apple store, none of them are specifically made for the new MacBook Pro.

To those who have purchased it, which bag/case will you get?

Thanks.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-21, 08:56

Any case made for the 15" PowerBook will fit the MacBook Pro.

There won't ever be a case made "specifically" for a laptop based on a certain processor. Size is the only thing that matters here.
Matvei

2006-02-21, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi

There won't ever be a case made "specifically" for a laptop based on a certain processor. Size is the only thing that matters here.
Err... the Macbook is not the samesize as the 15inch Powerbook. It certainly will not fit in all cases made for powerbooks.

I've found the Booq Vyper M2 model to be ok for a sleeve that fits into another bag of your choice (big enough of course).
lectro

2006-02-21, 10:30

I have a new Crumpler that I really like so far, but I think that a bag/case is about 40% features/quality and 60% 'personality' - as in how well it goes with yours. I could probably get away with wearing the bag with a suit and I could also get away with wearing it to the skate park, but it's not exactly perfect for either of those. Which is perfect for me. So the question is, are you looking for something that's more street, business casual, or avant garde?

As far as functionality goes, some of the Crumpler bags have a 'third leg' strap that you can use to make the bag more stable if you're going to be biking or bording with it. Unfortunately, it comes with no instructions so the strap was a bit of a puzzle at first.
lectro

2006-02-21, 10:36

BTW - not to be a ninny, but there are several threads like this in Purchasing Advice, including a post with a pic of this awesome bag that you should buy right now:
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-02-21, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
To those who have purchased it, which bag/case will you get?
this one: http://www.be-ez.com/prod_bagclassic.html
mine has shipped today
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-21, 10:43

The MacBook Pro is indeed a smidge wider and slightly taller (front to back) than the 15" PowerBook G4 (and a hair thinner too). So depending on how tight and snug a particular 15" PowerBook case/sleeve was, it might not fit the MacBook Pro well.

I imagine all the usual suspects to be coming out with MacBook-specific bags soon enough. It's more money for them, and they can market a whole new line made just for this new Mac.

15" PowerBook G4: 13.7" x 9.5" x 1.1
MacBook Pro: 14.1" x 9.6" x 1"

Not much, sure (except for the width...almost half an inch). But some company will jump on it, and include pockets or pouches for the new size power supply as well (it's larger than the previous PowerBook power supply...it's more the size of an AirPort Express now).
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-21, 14:25

power supply is bigger than the airport express ... about the same width but it is longer by about 3/4"

Last edited by intlplby : 2006-02-21 at 15:53.
lectro

2006-02-21, 17:31

Maybe if you're all good I'll post pictures of my MacBook inside of my Crumpler Horseman bag tomorrow.
AlexN

2006-02-22, 01:48

Okay, I should have probably said that I don't want a backpack. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm looking for a soft suitcase-style case. (don't know what it's called, but not the backpack bags)

Anyone?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-02-22, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschke
this one: http://www.be-ez.com/prod_bagclassic.html
mine has shipped today
Total rip off of Crumpler bags. Mine is exactly like that, with a little more trim - otherwise exactly the same. Hehe.

Although I like some of their sleeves - nice tip overall. Thanks!

Also, I hate to hijack this thing but does anyone know of a good place to buy leather messenger bags? I would really like a nice classy one for school...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2006-02-22 at 02:00.
Matvei

2006-02-22, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Total rip off of Crumpler bags. Mine is exactly like that, with a little more trim - otherwise exactly the same. Hehe.

Although I like some of their sleeves - nice tip overall. Thanks!

Also, I hate to hijack this thing but does anyone know of a good place to buy leather messenger bags? I would really like a nice classy one for school...
Marware Milano on their website...
blakedes@shaw.ca

2006-02-24, 12:17

I received my 15" 2GHz macbook yesteday and the store did not have an exact fit for it in case sizes yet. Older cases it seems are just a weeny bit small. Tom Bihn is offering a couple of choices online now:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0330
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-24, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectro
Maybe if you're all good I'll post pictures of my MacBook inside of my Crumpler Horseman bag tomorrow.
I guess we weren't good...he said the above on Tuesday.
halo1982

2006-02-24, 13:32

Has anyone tried the InCase yet? I love the 12" InCase iCondom, it would be great if the 15" fit the MBP too.
admactanium

2006-02-27, 20:43

one of my incase sleeves that i had for my ti and al books does not fit my brother's mbp. it's just too narrow.
peter_l

2006-02-27, 22:49

I'd love to find one of those hard cases that were either titanium or aluminum that were made for the TiBooks, those are really cool...
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-02-27, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi

We tried out the 15-inch incase bag today at the Apple... really really really tight fit on the MBP
Zorn

2006-02-28, 00:16

I can't recommoned this case highly enough. It's sleek like the Macbook, and offers good protection, along with enough space for your accessories. I got quite a few compliments / questions about where to get it when I took my computer to the genius bar today.
caoimhin

2006-02-28, 00:20

This is the only one I've been able to find so far specifically made for the MBP.

http://www.thepouch.com/apple-macbook-pro.html

I'm looking for a nice slim case that I can carry or use as a backpack and will resist rain. It rains a lot where I live.