Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac OS X 10.4.6 is out!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS X 10.4.6 is out!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
iCraig

2006-04-03, 15:35

Just thought I'd post about it as no one seems to have made a thread yet.

Just downloading it myself and will report the outcome! The update is 45.6Mb here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-03, 15:36

Next time at least add some content such as the update description/details.

Quote:
The 10.4.6 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n303411.

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.
As always, everybody, remember that download sizes will vary.

Quote:
Important: Please read before installing.
  • If you use iSync, you should perform a full sync with your devices before installing this update. Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update includes a later version of iSync with several improvements. For more information and before-you-install steps, see iSync 2.2: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync.
  • With the Mac OS X 10.4.6 system software update, PowerPC-based Macs will restart twice, instead of once, after the initial installation.
  • You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
  • The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
  • If issues occur during installation--for example, Software Update quits unexpectedly, please see this article.
Note the iSync bits, all you mobile phone/PDA people!
Quote:
Improvements

This update offers many improvements, including:

Finder, networking, and logging in
  • 802.1X login authentication configurations created in Internet Connect can now be used at the Mac OS X login window, too.

• Addresses an issue in which, when at the login window, the computer would not shut down automatically at a time specified in Energy Saver Schedule preferences; for more information, see this article. 

• Prevents a potential issue in which Mac OS X might stop responding when trying to log in as a FileVault-protected user if the protected Home image file has been damaged or moved; instead, a "You are unable to log in to the user account (name) at this time." alert message appears.

• Addresses an issue for home directories on AFP servers in which, after failing to burn a disc, an "error -61" alert message would appear when trying to delete the Burn Folder related to the unsuccessful burn.

• If you change your login password at the Login window, you will now be given an opportunity to apply the same change to your default keychain.

• You can now copy folders with files to an SMB-based server instead of only the folder being copied and this alert message appearing: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

• Addresses an issue that could prevent MacBook Pro from printing to wireless printers via AppleTalk.

• Improves iDisk (WebDAV file system) performance. 

• File and folder names that contain colon or forward slash ( "/") characters in the main directory of an iDisk or WebDAV volume no longer cause issues.
  • Resolves potential issues that could occur when using automatic proxy configuration (PAC) files.
Apple applications
  • Resolves an issue in which Mail could unexpectedly quit when lowering the quote level within a reply message.
  • Addresses an issue in which iChat, on an Intel-based Mac with a built-in iSight camera, could sometimes stop displaying video from the iSight camera until the computer was shut down and started up again.
  • Dragging a movie clip into iMovie 6 on an Intel-based Mac will no longer potentially cause some of the iMovie window to turn black.
  • Disk Utility's repair permissions feature will no longer report "We are using special permissions for..." messages.
  • Updates Calculator so that the percentage button ("%") will no longer divide, under certain circumstances, when you expect it to calculate percentage—this could happen in Mac OS X 10.4.3 through 10.4.5.
  • Resolves an issue that could cause Help Viewer to sometimes display a blank window.
  • Addresses some issues that could cause DVD Player to unexpectedly quit when playing a movie disc on an Intel-based Mac.
  • Terminal windows will no longer fail to open when using the /bin/zsh shell.
  • EXIF data is now exported with TIFF images in Aperture.
  • Aperture will no longer unexpectedly quit when exporting a file with keywords that contain twelve or more Cyrillic characters.
  • Resolves potential issues with several iPhoto Automator actions, such as Import Photos into iPhoto.
  • Includes iSync 2.2 which provides support for additional mobile phones. For more information, see iSync 2.2: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync.
Third-party applications
  • Resolves an issue in which Blizzard World of Warcraft character graphics could be distorted on an Intel-based Mac with a built-in graphics processor when vertex shaders are enabled. 

• The Command-H key combination now hides QuarkXPress 6 as expected when it is the front application. 

• Addresses an issue for Aspyr Media's True Crime: The Streets of LA game in which game movies are very dim on Intel-based Macs. 

• Addresses an issue for Microsoft Word 2004 in which Word would display a "Word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open" alert message when autosaving a document to a network-based home directory. 

• Improves character graphics appearance for Aspyr Media's The Sims House Party when running with Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac.
Other
  • Makes Mac OS X aware of United States Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes enacted by the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
  • Clicking an unmounted iDisk icon in the Save As dialog window of an application running with Rosetta no longer causes the application to stop with a spinning cursor.
  • Spotlight is now better able to search the content of older Microsoft Word documents.
  • Addresses an issue in which some third-party applications might stop responding or unexpectedly quit when running on an Intel-based Mac if you disconnect or connect a display while the computer is on.
  • Addresses potential vnode reference count mismatches that could lead to a kernel panic.
  • Addresses USB audio issues for PowerPC Macs; for example, latency is improved.
  • Addresses several AppleScript issues, including: Preservation of property values in Script Menu, a potential Bonjour issue with "choose remote application", an invisible "choose application" dialog issue, and improved compatibility with Dashboard widgets and applications.

• Includes recent Apple security updates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-03, 15:39

Well blow me. I only ran Software Update 40 minutes ago. 45.3mb for me. Bizarrely small difference...

Now for the dorky part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.4.6
The 10.4.6 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates
*prepares for assplosion*
rasmits
rams it

2006-04-03, 15:55

Please, for the love of god, please tell me Mail and iChat hide at startup. Because if they don't... I don't want to think about it.
hotch

2006-04-03, 16:03

108MB for intel
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 16:16

My download (using software update) already failed twice, with a network error around 100 MB down the download (for a total of 165 MB listed by Software Update) Frustrating...
Anybody else having this experience?

Edit: three times, again with the same network error.. Sigh.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/

Last edited by julesstoop : 2006-04-03 at 16:35.
johnny5w

2006-04-03, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Please, for the love of god, please tell me Mail and iChat hide at startup. Because if they don't... I don't want to think about it.
I can't speak on iChat, but Mail does not hide at startup. Still.
iCraig

2006-04-03, 16:42

Failed install and buggered up my eMac here, back on 10.4.0 after I exhausted my possibilities.
hotch

2006-04-03, 16:46

it seems to be working well on my macbook... at least so far!
yawn

2006-04-03, 16:47

Update on my 12" Powerbook G4 worked fine. And I'd even tend to say that there are some slight speed improvements. Applications (especially Safari) open and load a bit fast than before.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-03, 16:55

Still no Samsung support in iSync.

Grrr.
VERSACE

2006-04-03, 17:04

Has iWeb been updated?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-03, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERSACE
Has iWeb been updated?
There's no mention of iWeb in that long, detailed list of changes, is there?

Besides, iWeb is part of iLife and relevant updates would more likely be included in iLife updates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2006-04-03, 17:34

Bah. Why am I always away from computer( either driving or playing games) when these updates happen! Grrrrr . Need to regain my Update king title! But, anyway downloading now!

giggity
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 17:46

Ran update a bit ago. Per those instructions it rebooted, then rebooted again after a couple minutes on the gray loading screen, then booted up fine.

It sent my screen brightness down to the first blip though.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-04-03, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn
Update on my 12" Powerbook G4 worked fine. And I'd even tend to say that there are some slight speed improvements. Applications (especially Safari) open and load a bit fast than before.
really? sweet I have a 12" updating now.
halo1982

2006-04-03, 18:06

Quote:

What do you think?
Both open at startup and don't hide, of course.
Gaffer74

Send a message via MSN to Gaffer74  
2006-04-03, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium
Ran update a bit ago. Per those instructions it rebooted, then rebooted again after a couple minutes on the gray loading screen, then booted up fine.
Same here. I also seem to notice a slight speed improvement with most apps, especially Safari
zsummers
Avast!

2006-04-03, 18:35

Hmmm. Tried to install on my iMac G5 (for identification: 2Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, pre-built-in iSight). It was 45.3 Mb for me (we share a bond, Bryson). After download, an alert popped up and told me the installation failed, and that if I wanted to try again I could try to open it from my trash. I tried to run software update again but it didn't work. Then I shut down the machine. Ever since, it boots to the gray screen with an Apple on it, and, after a minute or so, kicks on all the fans on high. I've left it running for about 20-30 minutes a few times, with no luck.

I didn't use iSync or third party system software modifications on the system--unless something like Mail Appetizer counts. I installed a Gig of memory from Crucial, but that was two or three system updates ago.

I can't get it working. I'm going to re-install 10.4.0 and see what happens. Anyone else (besides iCraig) having problems? Any thoughts? I'm going to hold off installing on my 3 year old PowerBook (867 MHz, 640 SDRAM) until I'm sure it won't die too. This thing is a workhorse, and I can't have it taken down now.
iCraig

2006-04-03, 18:37

Right finally updated to 10.4.6 now, after alot of fiddling and reverting back to 10.4.0.

It seems just the same as 10.4.5 to me, no difference at all to be honest.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-03, 18:45

I bet most of you reporting speed improvements are only seeing those because you finally restarted your computers .
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2006-04-03, 18:53

One thing of note, Mail reverted to the default crappy toolbar buttons. I had to re-apply Mail Stamps, but it was relatively painless otherwise.
JK47

2006-04-03, 19:19

Agreed, Safari is definitely snappier. Also, I just restarted my computer last week and I don't remember such a significance performance bump in Safari after the restart.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-03, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers
Hmmm. Tried to install on my iMac G5 (for identification: 2Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, pre-built-in iSight). It was 45.3 Mb for me (we share a bond, Bryson). After download, an alert popped up and told me the installation failed, and that if I wanted to try again I could try to open it from my trash. I tried to run software update again but it didn't work. Then I shut down the machine.
That's the mistake. Don't shut it down, download the installer from the Apple website and try it with that. If such an update fails, it can leave your system in a pretty b0rked state (or it b0rks it when booting up).

I don't think there's much you can do now, other than perhaps try to run a disk utility from the OS X DVD. It would be cool to be able to run OS X from a live DVD to run an upgrade script on a partition. But I don't think that's possible.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-04-03, 19:43

Anyone know why my Bluetooth is off and can't be turned on?
rasmits
rams it

2006-04-03, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5w
I can't speak on iChat, but Mail does not hide at startup. Still.
Incompetence. I seriously can't believe this.
doutee

Send a message via AIM to doutee Send a message via MSN to doutee  
2006-04-03, 20:02

One problem I have encountered is with isync 2.2. My razr vc3 won't allow the syncing of my calendar anymore. I read on there that it does not allow it with verison phones but I am threw alltel and I never had any problems before this update. Any suggestions why or should I try to contact them?
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-04-03, 20:05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Anyone know why my Bluetooth is off and can't be turned on?
Incompetence.
There, that's better.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-04-03, 20:05

It's 65.8mb here on an up-to-date on a PB G4 1.67 (late 2005).

Edit: Installed without any problems.

Last edited by dviant : 2006-04-03 at 20:29.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-03, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47
Agreed, Safari is definitely snappier. Also, I just restarted my computer last week and I don't remember such a significance performance bump in Safari after the restart.
For what it's worth:

Safari with 10.4.5:
2.0.3 (417.8)

Safari with 10.4.6:
2.0.3 (417.9.2)

It's a very minor update. Tomorrow Hyatt will probably post about any relevant changes. I suspect the performance boost you guys are feeling may be more related to having a fresh reboot than any under-the-hood optimizations with Safari.