Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Kenneth Lay ain't going to prison...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kenneth Lay ain't going to prison...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 11:11

...Because he's dead. This was slightly unexpected...
¡Damned!

2006-07-05, 11:15

Let the conspiracy theories begin....

See you in the Mediterranean, Kenny.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 11:20

I've heard he's been under a lot of stress recently.

I suppose it's not nice to talk shit about the dead, but I wonder why he didn't die in prison. Waiting for a sentencing phase? What, to decide if he has a 10 or 200 year sentence? Instead he's in Aspen after bilking billions from ordinary 'Mericans.

I suppose it is normal procedure, but someone please explain the public policy behind letting this guy loose before sentencing. I imagine there are minimums, so can't they just keep someone in on those?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-05, 11:27

Karma doesn't mess around, does it?

I'm not taking glee in his death (he's not a nutball terrorist who was begging for it, after all), but holy smoke...he really wrecked the lives of so many people. And that he seemed to be getting "kid gloved" throughout the entire thing just really angered me. His arrogance (and that of those around him, whose job it was to somehow get him off or escape his punishment) just really torqued me.

It's tough to shed a tear or get too reflective about it, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I'll save that stuff for the employees who were cornholed out of their savings, retirement, future plans, etc. by this jackwad. My sympathy lies with people like that, not high-ranking, "untouchable" corporate turds who screw their employees over and seem to carry on with their lives as though nothing happened or they did nothing wrong.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 11:28

Yeah, he got off easy IMO.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-05, 11:28

I wonder if he committed suicide.

I just have trouble buying that in this day and age he could have such an unexpected cardiac event.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-05, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I thought the very same thing. Who knows.

Quote:
I just have trouble buying that in this day and age he could have such an unexpected cardiac event.
Unfortunately, that's what happened to my stepfather. He was fine, going about his business, enjoying dinner with my Mom. Five minutes later, he's on the living room floor, surrounded by EMTs.

It happens.

The irony and timing in this scenario makes one wonder, of course. But we don't know his genetics and medical history either, so...
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-07-05, 11:39

Quote:

It could have been the upcoming stress that he was going to become someone's bitch shortly.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-07-05, 11:42

Karma, you magnificent whore! Nice one!!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-05, 11:43

I doubt it. Would they have tossed someone like him in with the hardcore types? I was under the impression he'd be in some minimum security type joint? Or was that one of those other shady CEOs? They all run together after a while...

Speaking of karma (as I did above, and now murbot too): a tough time to be a wealthy person or may be yanking around with the law. I saw where Jon Benet Ramsey's mother died a week or so ago. I'll always wonder what knowledge she took with her...

I guess if you've got money or connections, you can drag shit out for years and years. Co-operate, not co-operate, halfway co-operate, etc. If you're one of us, however, you get knocked on the head with a nightstick, Tasered and hauled to jail (and thrown under it) IMMEDIATELY.

"Oh, if I feel like it, I might give up some infor..." **WHACK**

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-05 at 11:49.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I doubt it. Would they have tossed someone like him in with the hardcore types? I was under the impression he'd be in some minimum security type joint? Or was that one of those other shady CEOs? They all run together after a while...
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Space
The most they would do is put us for a few months into a white-collar, minimum-security resort! You know, they have conjugal visits there?

We get caught laundering money, we're not going to white collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to Federal 'Pound me in the Ass' prison!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-07-05, 13:39

I stopped reading when they interviewed his pastor. Anyone else find that Hi-larious.
Yea, he got through.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 15:05

A footnote to the news on the day's event that I found (mildly) interesting: Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Wikipedia.