User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Magnets & Macs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Magnets & Macs
SabRhund

2007-01-10, 11:54

Not exactly sure where this post should go, so it may need to be moved to the Genius Bar, but this is just a more general question. I searched "magnet" but only found a good bit of stuff about MagSafe.

I've got a 1.67 GHz 15" PowerBook, and a 2nd Gen Black Nano. The laptop bag that I have been using for eternity has magnets in it, but only on the very front, in a pocket specially designed to carry an iPod. Specifically, an iPod video or photo.

I know that my PowerBook has a small magnet for it's latching mechanism, and I know that the speakers are magnets and all that kinds of stuff. But the magnets that keep this flap closed on my laptop bag; are they a hazard to my Nano? And most importantly, are they a hazard to my computer? The magnets are seperated from the computer by 3 additional layers of fabric (the laptop itself is surrounded by fabric, and then there are two pockets in front of the laptop. Then the magnets are on the very front).

One of my other mac friends told me Macs are magnetized, and that external magnets do not effect them ?

In a World without Fences or Walls, Who needs Gates or Windows?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-10, 15:51

The magnets do not hurt anything.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-10, 16:44

Yeah... the magnets in your hard drive are orders of magnitude more powerful than the magnet latch on a messenger bag.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-01-10, 16:52

Orders of magnitudes more close.