AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Stopping Mail.app sent items

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stopping Mail.app sent items
solstace

2006-11-17, 12:59

Greetings all!

Here's my situation:

I have two macs, effectively mirrored. One's a G4 17" iMac, the other is a 15" MBP (Rev 1). Both are running 10.4.8, and the idea is that one sits as a desktop machine at home, while the laptop gets used everywhere else, or for times when I need extra processing power for media editing. Now, syncing documents is easy. Syncing received e-mails from a pop server (or three) is easy. Done those.

Here's my problemette:

I have three POP accounts, and need to be able to access items sent from all such accounts from both machines. Now, I realise I could create my own "sent items" mailboxes on each, and then by turning off the auto-saving of sent items and bcc'ing myself into each message sent and applying some natty rules, I can achieve this effect.

So: what if I want to keep things nice and clear by using the existing Sent folders? I can do this by BCC'ing myself into everything I send, then a filter on each machine then sorts incoming copied items to the appropriate sent items boxes. The problem now is that I end up with duplicate messages. I get the impression that telling Mail to delete sent items on each quit of Mail would also delete the messages that have been filtered into these boxes, rather than just deleting copies that were sent from that machine...

Anyone got any neater solutions?

Being reasonably tech-savvy I can cope with either duplicate messages or having two sets of Sent folders. Thing is, I want to be able to demo "neat" things to other users who have yet to be converted to our current "Apple-centric, peer-to-peer, no single point of failure" network and IT strategy and something as simple as this would be a really nice selling point!

Last edited by solstace : 2006-11-17 at 13:01. Reason: Clarification
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-11-17, 15:26

get IMAP accounts.
GladToBeHere

2006-11-17, 18:26

Can Automator help here?