User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Yahoo Mail Beta - have to switch browser :(

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yahoo Mail Beta - have to switch browser :(
soma

2007-02-20, 13:11

I have had to set up a yahoo account, partly so I can use flickr (which I rather like) but also as I require another web based mail (don't want to get my hands sticky with .mac and would really like to wait until I get office for mac...that has outlook right?).
Soooo....Yahoo Beta does not 'work' on safari (I have read the political threads on the subject ) and I need one that does (I left the original yahoo mail years back as I hated the look of it's interface).
Can anyone recommend a 'part time' browser in which I can access Yahoo Mail (and I've got used to Safari over the past few months so don't really want to fully switch)?
Camino crops up as a possible choice, as does Firefox....any pointers folks?
Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-20, 13:15

As far as I can tell, only Gecko- or Trident-based browsers will do at this point, so for Mac OS X, you're pretty much stuck with Camino or Firefox as your only choices (well, and Flock, Seamonkey, and other such mediocrities).
soma

2007-02-20, 13:21

^^ Are they all pretty much mediocre then (including Camino?).
Just tried Camino (with Yahoo mail beta) and that advised that Camino may not be supported/work properly
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-20, 13:27

No, I don't mind Camino at all. Firefox is alright. I just don't care for the various other XUL browsers such as Flock and Seamonkey.

Your safest bet is certainly Firefox, but a recent version of Camino should do.
xlostlove777

2007-02-20, 13:28

I used Yahoo Mail beta on Safari and while I think at first it gave me a warning it worked fine, and I thought you could still use the "old" non-beta version.
chucker

2007-02-20, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlostlove777 View Post
I used Yahoo Mail beta on Safari
I'm curious how, actually. Appending "sysreq=ignore" doesn't seem to be good enough.
soma

2007-02-20, 13:54

Quote:
I used Yahoo Mail beta on Safari and while I think at first it gave me a warning it worked fine, and I thought you could still use the "old" non-beta version.
Yes you can, but it looks ropey and was one of the reasons I stuck with hotmail all those years back....It seems ok (yahoo beta) but a few images/graphics don't appear in Camino...I'll try the same on Firefox, but I'm hoping the politics are sorted out and I can continue to use Safari.
Cheers all.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-02-20, 13:56

Gmail!
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-20, 13:58

I'm so pleased Flickr made me sign up for a Yahoo! ID, if this is the sort of thing they do.
soma

2007-02-20, 14:04

I know...I know...but they already had my info from a few years back and Flickr stands out from the rest of these photo hosting sites. But I needed a new mail address anyhow...
I have a Gmail account somewhere, but not keen on that either (despite the size of the storage).
BenP

2007-02-20, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma View Post
I have had to set up a yahoo account, partly so I can use flickr (which I rather like) but also as I require another web based mail (don't want to get my hands sticky with .mac and would really like to wait until I get office for mac...that has outlook right?).
Soooo....Yahoo Beta does not 'work' on safari (I have read the political threads on the subject ) and I need one that does (I left the original yahoo mail years back as I hated the look of it's interface).
Can anyone recommend a 'part time' browser in which I can access Yahoo Mail (and I've got used to Safari over the past few months so don't really want to fully switch)?
Thanks.
Just FYI... Office for Mac does not include Outlook. It does include Entourage, which I believe is similar (I haven't used Outlook).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-02-20, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma View Post
Thanks.
If you're waiting for Office for Mac for Entourage (Mac equivalent of Outlook), why not use Mail.app?
HappyJack

2007-02-20, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Gmail!
Gotta love the Gmail. Good web interface.