Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Car Alarms

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Alarms
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-05-26, 07:58

I moved into an apartment about two to three weeks ago and ever since I've moved in, someone's car alarm has gone off at least once a day. It's the same one and it's one of those alarms that has about 12 different noises, along with the horn constantly honking with it. Luckily, whoever owns the car is pretty good about getting it shut off after one cycle of the sounds, but it's still annoying, especially at 2am or early in the morning (I still consider 2am to be part of the night, not morning). There doesn't seem to be any reason for it to go off, unless the car is possessed or the person who owns the car just sets it off for fun.

I'm just curious though how often car alarms actually prevent theft. Whenever I hear one go off, I don't think "Oh no, someone's car is being broken into." Is there really a point to car alarms or are we too used to them going off for non-theft releated reasons? Also, would it be a crime for me to find this particular car and destroy it?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-26, 08:33

I totally understand, and agree 100%. It's to the point now that when I hear a car alarm, it doesn't make me want to look, call the police, investigate further, etc.

I've become so used to them and they always seem to be false alarms. When I lived in Carlsbad (northern San Diego county), I was a few hundred yards from a train track that ran the Amtrak and Coaster commuter trains. BUT, at night, huge, long freight trains would come through and I suppose the vibration from it would always seem to set off one or two alarms in the apartments surrounding me.

I'm talking 3am and so forth.

I was walking through Target parking lot last weekend and one of those alarms go off and I didn't even turn to look. Funny, because a decade ago I wouldn't immediately turned around, looked for shady activity and looking for a payphone to call the police.

I specifically requested a car WITHOUT one (in fact, making them call another dealer and drive one in from Riverside that didn't have one installed) when I bought my most recent Saturn in 2001.

I think those hidden Lo-jack things are probably a better solution. Directly gets the cops involved, the car can actually be found, etc. People are so into themselves and their world (and not always in a bad way, either), that I think alarms are just wastes of time. Sadly, I'd pretty much have to see someone on the hood of a car, wearing a black ski mask and bashing the windshield in with a baseball bat before I'd do something and get involved.

I hear alarms now and just go "thanks, cat...". OR, get mad at the thoughtless clod of a neighbor who doesn't turn the alarm off after 2-3 minutes.
dmz

2004-05-26, 16:34

That's really wierd, the alarm on somebody's car just went off across the street, I glanced at the monitor and saw this thread.

woooooooooooooooo!!!