Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No iPhone SDK coverage?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-03-06, 13:31

Why don't we have a thread for this already? http://live.phonemag.com/

Looks like activesync/exchange stuff is built-in. Remote self-destruction of iPhone data. Apple's making a move on the enterprise. Watch out RIM.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 13:41

C|Net's News.com also has a live blog of the event. You'll have to manually refresh the page to get the new posts though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-06, 13:42

I guess it's kinda being talked about/followed in that "Am I the only one..." thread in Speculation and Rumors.

You're right...it's weird that no one started a dedicated "event" thread, which only supports my comment yesterday about this being a fairly limited-appeal, focused event (developers and hardcore iPhone/tech junkies), and not your usual Macworld, WWDC or Paris keynote (where thousands of us are piled in here and freaking out over every word out of Jobs' mouth).

I'm understanding basically zero of what's being talked about there so far. I'm just looking at the pictures...

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 13:43

I just want to know what ADC developer level you need to be to get the SDK. It sounds like all ADC (even free) members will have access, but as far as I can tell, no one has come out and said that yet.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-03-06, 13:47

They're demoing Spore right now. Motion sensitive controls. Cool.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 13:49

They're really concentrating on games in this session.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-06, 13:55

Doing a SalesForce demo now.

The iPhone, mark my words, will leap to a whole new level. By this time next year, it'll be the iPod of, um, phones.

All this stuff being talked about today, plus the upcoming 3G model (and whatever other goodies are in store for the v2.0 iPhone).

Gonna be a monster. All the reasons that so many people give for not getting one (well...beyond the price) seem like they will be addressed throughout 2008. Just imagine how many iPhones are going to be sold come autumn (and the holiday shopping season). Holy crap...

I can just imagine the numbers given at the '09 WWDC keynote, 15 months from now.

Still won't have copy/paste...

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-03-06, 13:58

AIM support?

Some nice looking demos - good stuff. Looks like some medical thing is up next (Epocrates).

Super Monkey Ball!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:11

App Store: the 'only'* way to get apps onto the iPhone. Nice that it's OTA, no iTunes required. Apple takes 30% cut of whatever price the dev sets. Free apps have no charge to the dev.

*Unless you get a free ADC acct, download the SDK**, and use that to put them on your phone... just sayin'...

**Assuming you have a Mac. *snap*

D'OH!

The free SDK/tools let you develop on the simulator on your Mac. To get the ability to move the apps to your phone requires joining the iPhone Dev Program for $99. Sneaky bastards.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-06, 14:17

So any dork - me - can download this free SDK today and play around with stuff, using the onscreen iPhone emulator?

Uh-oh.

There's goes my Thursday night.

As for the distribution and SDK stuff, good. The fees and distribution seem reasonable. As for the SDK, it might sell a few more Macs (if you're a PC user with some good ideas for iPhone apps, and you're halfway serious about it all, you can go spend $599-1,099 for a Mac mini or MacBook - or even a refurb model of a more powerful Mac - and just get on with it). You'll be happier in the long run anyway. Apple's doing you a favor...

I'd make the people develop on a Mac for this stuff, sure. Probably a smart move.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-03-06, 14:25

What the hell is iFund?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:27

$100M of venture capital funding available exclusively for iPhone developers.

(I think - could be for all Apple developers, but I think it's iPhone developers.)

It's... a big deal.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-06, 14:29

It's one hundred million dollars...

...for the aid and assistance of underfunded, smaller developers. That's what I'm gathering from the few comments made during the presentation.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
So any dork - me - can download this free SDK today and play around with stuff, using the onscreen iPhone emulator?

Uh-oh.

There's goes my Thursday night.
Official release is late June, beta being released today. No word on what level of ADC member you need to be to get beta SDK (final open to all ADC members).

You'll have to sign up for a free ADC account, but that only takes a few minutes.

[edit]
You also have to sign up as an iPhone developer. It pulled all my ADC info so I didn't have to type it in again. Supposedly I've just been dispatched an email with an SDK download link in it.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:36

Nice... AOL coder traveled to apple and has been working on native AIM app for a couple weeks.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:42

Is the $99 is also required for developers who want to distribute free apps?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:43

AOL coder?? iChat plz...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-03-06, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Is the $99 is also required for developers who want to distribute free apps?
Yes. $99 for free and commercial apps; $299 for in-house ones.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-06, 14:47

Quote:
Ryan Block from Engadget asked: "Will a SIM unlock be considered software that won't be allowed on the AppStore?"
Oh Ryan...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-03-06, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
AOL coder?? iChat plz...
It's an early build, but it seems to look pretty good.

I havent been using an instant messenger much lately, so it's not that big of a deal to me anymore, but this doesn't look bad at all.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-03-06, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
It's an early build, but it seems to look pretty good.
Yes. Considering they wrote this in five days, however, that's a bad sign. They'll spend the next three months adjusting it to AOL standards by adding ads and partnerships all over the place, making the interface confusing and ugly, and making the app crash every now and then out of the blue.

That's when it will be a real, official AIM client.

Right now, it's only a demo.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 14:58

The emphasis on enterprise is interesting. BlackBerry should be nervous, perhaps?

Also, can we anticipate a similar new emphasis in Apple's general computer line? I am not sure that one translates into the other, but I am prepared to be surpised.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes. $99 for free and commercial apps; $299 for in-house ones.
Although the in-house ones aren't really in-house, you just get a super-secret page on the iApp website that only company employees can read. Wonder how fast the sync between company OK list and Apple's site will be?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-06, 15:03

developer.apple.com is dead ... looks like there's quite a bit of interest in the SDK
MCQ
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
The emphasis on enterprise is interesting. BlackBerry should be nervous, perhaps?
Perhaps. They're still reporting very solid BlackBerry subscription numbers though, so it seems to be a rising tide lifts all boats scenario for the time being.

I think Apple should provide an additional option for developers who want to have donationware as model... Apple could still take 30% of the proceeds, but allow users to donate whatever amount they want to the developer.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post

Also, can we anticipate a similar new emphasis in Apple's general computer line? I am not sure that one translates into the other, but I am prepared to be surpised.
Yeah - it's really kind of a stunning bit of migration.

2000: Win dev: "Dev for the Mac? HAH! Niche market, dying, Obj-C sucks, no thanks."
2004: Win dev: "Man, sure wish we could code for the iPod, that market is huge."
2007: Win dev: "iPhone is where it's at, we need an SDK *now*."
2008: Win dev: "Buy a Mac to code for the iPhone? Sure! Hey, this isn't so bad... wow, this is kind of nice... you say this is the same coding environment for the Mac? Hmmm..."
2009: Mac dev: "Yeah, I used to code for Windows..."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-06, 15:10

Exactly. Nice move. Win a few more folks over, users and developers alike. One could become the other (going either way).

A friendly neighborhood mod should roll in the talk in that "Am I the only one..." thread in Speculation & Rumors that began during today's event into this thread, so it's all current (as of today), specific SDK talk here, and then lock the other one, since the event has come and gone. Would keep me from having to bounce between the two, to keep up with what is essentially the same topic and discussion, in two different places.

I'm just sayin'...

Or grant me temporary, "honorary" modulificationosity powers and I'll do it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-03-06 at 15:22.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
developer.apple.com is dead ... looks like there's quite a bit of interest in the SDK
Glad I signed up and got my email before it went down then. At least I think I got my email, can't check on my work machine.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-06, 15:37

Yeah, but you won't be able to download the SDK! It's up again, but having problems. I guess it's a good idea to wait a day or so for the first wave of enthusiasm to die down.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-06, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Yeah, but you won't be able to download the SDK! It's up again, but having problems. I guess it's a good idea to wait a day or so for the first wave of enthusiasm to die down.
Well, I was hoping it wouldn't be on the same server as developer.apple.com. It seems they use other servers for software downloads.

I have a meeting to go to tonight anyway so I wouldn't be trying until a bit later. Have my fingers crossed that they've reallocated bandwidth by then.