User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook (early '08) - External TV (Monitor) Questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook (early '08) - External TV (Monitor) Questions
iMac430

2009-04-25, 22:29

Hello everyone, I have two quick questions about using an external display with a (Feb. 2008) White MacBook with a GMA X3100 integrated graphics card, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 10.5.6 and all other software updates.

1. My flat panel TV broke, so I am going to by buying a 19" or 22" in a month or two. I know the MacBook's native resolution is 1280x800. I have read this on Apple's website for the tech specs of this MacBook: Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors. My question: What is the best way of getting the highest resolution that this TV will support (VGA connection), I know if I just plug it in, it will only use 1280x800 (even if the TV supports a higher resolution, unless I close the MacBook and use a moues and keyboard. I watch Hulu and YouTube where the fans kick in. I heard that I can actually open the MacBook and the MB's screen will stay off, and I will get the TV's full resolution, is this the best way to do this? Is there a faster/better way of getting just the TV's full resolution? (I do not want to use both screens (extended desktop) or mirror, just the tv alone).

2. SInce the X3100 graphics card is not that powerful to begin with, does the performance degrade even more when using a resolution like 1440x900 or even higher? Will the OS X animations and stuff still be silky smooth or will things slow down dramatically because the X3100 has to output that much higher of a resolution instead of the MB's 1280x800?

Thank you so much!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-25, 22:56

The short answer is it will be degraded slightly, but for normal use I doubt you'll be concerned by it, or notice it that much.

We have a PPC Mac Mini which we use on an HD TV as a pseudo AppleTV and the only thing we notice is that 720p videos tend to tear slightly, or have a small lag when the screen content is very dynamic in movies... 1080p forget it! The CPU is not powerful enough!

Standard definition and DVDs etc. are fine.

I would expect that your MacBook will be fine overall.
I have used my wife's MacBook which had the GMA 950 in it on our TV and it was quite a lot happier with higher definition stuff.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-04-26, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac430 View Post
I know if I just plug it in, it will only use 1280x800 (even if the TV supports a higher resolution, unless I close the MacBook and use a moues and keyboard.
Or you could turn off video mirroring and use the TV as a second monitor.
iMac430

2009-04-26, 12:27

@Dave - I guess that is what I am trying to ask. I know in System Preferences under Displays, I can set the TV to mirror my MacBook or use it as an extended destop. Is there a way to just use the TV (have the MacBook screen turned off)? I only want to use the TV as a main monitor while at home, and then when I go places, use the MacBook like normal. The only way I know how to do this is to shut the MacBook (sleep mode) and then use an external mouse & keyboard to wake the MB (while its closed) and then I will get the TV to use its native resolution (The whole purpose is to not use 1280x800 on the TV, but a higher resolution). I don't want to leave the MB closed to due possible? heat issues and stuff, so I read online that I can just open the lid of the machine and the MacBook screen will still remain off.

Is there a better way to do this? (TV as my only monitor (not mirror or extended) and the TV's full resolution?

Thanks.