Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Sister got refurb iPhone 3G for $49

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sister got refurb iPhone 3G for $49
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-01, 16:47

Just got back from setting it up, and activated (was given an 866 number to call, once I realized I couldn't see any "activate" options in the iTunes iPhone section like I did on my original model two years ago).

She's on a Vista-based PC, but I set her contacts to sync over from Windows Mail (works perfectly), and will do the same with her music and photos. Downloaded Facebook, Fandango and the Weather Channel apps. Showed her the basics, gave her the links to the iPhone section at Apple.com (videos and guided tours), gave her a few handy tips, etc.

When I left, she had the thing turned sideways and was posting to her Facebook page...

Another family member inching ever closer to Macdom. Got my Mom and Dad on Macs completely, and I'm willing to bet this iPhone will push my sister and her husband over to a Mac mini or iMac within 3-6 months.

She loves it. All the things I/we take for granted as "veteran" iPhone owners, it was fun watching her eyes light up at all the neat things it does (and how it goes about them). Much the way we all did at that January 2007 Macworld keynote where Steve first unveiled the thing...

There's something borderline magic about holding one in your hand the first time, and realizing all that it does (and so well, and easily). I'd forgotten some of that, and it was cool to see it again today.

We had to do a little housecleaning on her contacts (duplicates, inconsistencies, etc.), but now it's a very clean, and useful, contact list. All her friends and family, plus local business she calls with any sort of regularity. No more scribbles on Post-Its or gum wrappers, or using "recent calls" as your "address book", etc.

I think I'm actually pretty good at this stuff...setting newbies up with their first Mac or iPhone (or iPod), demoing basic (or cool) features, presenting the gear in a positive, exciting light, making people closest to me realize tech doesn't have to be "scary" or intimidating at all.

Ex? Mac.
Best friend? Mac.
Mom? Mac.
Dad? Mac.
Sister? iPhone
Childhood friend? Mac.
Former father-in-law? Mac.
Former brother-in-law (and employee of Microsoft)? iPhone (I'd like to think I was partially responsible for that)
Co-worker? Mac.

This is just within the past couple of years, and all because of me.

Pending? A great aunt, two uncles, my former in-laws and a neighbor.

Apple needs to slice me a check or something...I've sold more shit for them in 3-4 years than all the people at CompUSA combined.

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-10-01, 17:16

That is an awesome deal!
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-10-01, 17:55

Um... we need to hear more about this deal.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-01, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Um... we need to hear more about this deal.
It's on wireless.att.com. The 8GB 3G is $49 and the 16GB 3G is $99.

You have to be careful with buying refurbs from AT&T, because sometimes they'll fudge the numbers to make them look better (for example, on the refurb listing for the LG Neon they say the no-contract price is $299, but you can actually buy it from them contract-free for $125 - they just want to make the $99 refurb listing look better). But a $49 iPhone 3G is obviously a deal (it's $50, or 50%, off!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-10-01, 18:25

Does AT&T sell the iPhone refurbs contract-free at any price, though? They didn't in the past, IIRC.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-01, 20:24

I don't know. All I know is that I saw a blurb on MacRumors about a week ago, about $49 refurb iPhone 3G models. I sent it to my sister and some others, and she wound up getting one.

BTW, for those keeping score...I'm still on my first-generation, 4GB model. I'm old school.

At this point, I'm obviously making some sort of statement.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-10-01, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
BTW, for those keeping score...I'm still on my first-generation, 4GB model. I'm old school.

At this point, I'm obviously making some sort of statement.

Indeed. At $49, I'm surprised you're not pulling the trigger on one for yourself.
Of course if it serves your phone needs and but you want faster surfing, you might as well just wait for the tablet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-01, 20:45

Nah...I wouldn't get a 3G model, even for $49. If I'm going to spend the money and make the move, after two-plus years, then it'll be a white 16-32GB 3GS model...

Maybe later, as the holidays near. I've been reasonably "good" this year.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-02, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Does AT&T sell the iPhone refurbs contract-free at any price, though? They didn't in the past, IIRC.
No, any iPhone plan still requires a new two year contract. Even if you get a phone off of eBay, you'd have to sign for two years to run it on AT&T if they have anything to do with it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-10-02, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
No, any iPhone plan still requires a new two year contract. Even if you get a phone off of eBay, you'd have to sign for two years to run it on AT&T if they have anything to do with it.
That's what I thought. It's pretty ridiculous, really. They shouldn't be allowed to force a contract for an unsubsidized phone.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-02, 17:10

It really is sad. You can use and iPhone on the network, but don't get some of the minor perks of being an iPhone line. I use my wife's old 1st Gen iPhone every now and then without a problem. I can't access AT&T iPhone app or something else I can't think of right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-03, 22:50

I've created a monster.

She and her family headed out for Florida this morning for their vacation. Guess who got e-mails from the entire 9.5 hour trip?

Is it possible for someone, after only three days, to OD on an iPhone? If so, she's at high risk...

The funny thing is that now my Mom will wind up with one (especially at the $49 refurb price)...stereo.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-03, 22:53

Quote:
I've created a monster.

She and her family headed out for Florida this morning for their vacation. Guess who got e-mails from the entire 9.5 hour trip?

Is it possible for someone, after only three days, to OD on an iPhone? If so, she's at high risk...

The funny thing is that now my Mom will wind up with one (especially at the $49 refurb price)...stereo.
But think about how much snappier it would be, opening all those emails using the 2x faster processor of an iPhone 3G S?

By the way, I have less than 7GB free on my 16GB 3G. And I only have $15 worth of iTunes content on it - the rest of it is free music and podcasts. I don't know how you do it...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-03, 23:02

Just my favorite 175 or so songs, a few favorite photos and judicious app selection.

It's an art, really, owning a 4GB iPhone. Not everyone can pull it off. I've obviously hit on a system.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-03, 23:26

Quote:
It's an art, really, owning a 4GB iPhone. Not everyone can pull it off. I've obviously hit on a system.
Seriously, though, is it in good shape? I think you should replace it and try to keep it tidy...that 4GB iPhone is probably going to be a rarity in a few years time. In fact, it probably already is. It was only on sale for two months, after all, and I'm sure it was less popular than the 8GB model (because if you're dropping five hundred dollars on a phone, what's an extra $99? Not questioning your decision or anything, mind). You might have quite a collectable!

It's kind of like the 20GB PS3 (also $499, compared to a $599 60GB model, also sold for only a few months, &c.), only without that device's maddening limitations. The 20GB PS3 probably won't ever be a collectable. But the very first iPhone, back when it was super-expensive (not $399, like they were later, but $499/$599!) and not very many people had one? Wow.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-04, 00:03

It's a bit scuffed (that silver back is tough to keep clean), and there are three tiny marks at the upper-left of the display...dings in the glass? Not cracked or anything, just permanent "pits" that you can see if the phone has a white or light-colored background. But everything works perfectly.

But I have to say, after setting my sister's up the other day (and spending so much time with her 3G model), these newer models do feel so much better in the hand than the original silver models! That curved back (and the plastic?) is very comfortable and "hold-y". I'd only messed with them in stores for a few minutes, here or there, the past year or so. But Thursday I was able to spend quite a bit of time holding and using it. Mine felt like a Pop-Tart afterwards...sharp and straight-edged.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-04, 00:34

Quote:
It's a bit scuffed (that silver back is tough to keep clean), and there are three tiny marks at the upper-left of the display...dings in the glass? Not cracked or anything, just permanent "pits" that you can see if the phone has a white or light-colored background. But everything works perfectly.

But I have to say, after setting my sister's up the other day (and spending so much time with her 3G model), these newer models do feel so much better in the hand than the original silver models! That curved back (and the plastic?) is very comfortable and "hold-y". I'd only messed with them in stores for a few minutes, here or there, the past year or so. But Thursday I was able to spend quite a bit of time holding and using it. Mine felt like a Pop-Tart afterwards...sharp and straight-edged.

Yeah, and the white plastic is hot. And you'll be coming from an original iPhone! So not only will the shape and design and 3G-ness be new to you, but the camera and faster processor and even faster 3G-ness will be too. It'll be a huge step up!

Seriously, you have to get one this year! Because if you wait until the spring, you might as well wait for the next one, and that's no fun. You're already paying for a phone subsidy, whether you're in contract or not, so unless you're planning on switching carriers, it only makes financial sense to upgrade as soon as you can. It's not like carriers give you a discount if they aren't subsidizing your phone, so take advantage of it! Take what you pay for!

Says the dude who's never finished a two year contract...

I'm not trying to go all Pushy AT&T Person on you, but you know I'm right. I know you're going to be totally blown away with the speed and capacity of the 3G S, and I want to read another "I'm Paul, and I'm totally blown away!" post.

Plus, the sooner you upgrade now, the sooner you can upgrade again. So even if the iPhone 3G S wasn't the best phone ever bar none, you'd want to upgrade to something, so that you wouldn't have to wait if something totally awesome came out in 22 months.

I'm obviously a phonie.