User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 11 of 33 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  Next Last Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-12-12, 16:30

Could watch it on ABC's website
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-14, 18:10

Disney Channel was running a Star Wars: Rebels marathon earlier today. I sat and watched 2-3 of them. A great look (set five years before the events of 1977's Star Wars, so they really show off that familiar, cool design and look throughout...Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, stormtroopers, etc.).

Tone-wise, it's a typical modern, kid/youth-oriented show, with all the snappy, ironic dialogue, youngsters being little wise-asses, people talking in modern (Earth, 2014) slang/idioms, everyone's being all breezy and snappy (even during moments of fear or tension, which is one of my least-favorite things to see in a movie or TV show), etc. Basically, all those "tween" type shows you see on Disney and Nickelodeon, but set in the Star Wars universe.

I watched about as much as I could take. It wasn't bad (I enjoyed them more than Attack of the Clones, if that tells you anything), but I'm just the wrong demographic...a good 30-35 years beyond what they'd probably prefer). It's one of those shows that I could put on mute and supply my own plots/dialogue to the really snazzy visuals and animation.

I was reading that some of the designs and characters were based on some early, pre-1977 Ralph McQuarrie sketches/designs for Artoo, Chewbacca, etc. that didn't make it to the movies (and that some of the vehicles and other things were designed by some of the guys who worked on the prequels, but the designs didn't make it in those, so they got dusted off and re-worked to fit in here.

It's for kids, for sure, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Not enough to watch the entire run, but 2-3 episodes were fine.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-12-14 at 19:02.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2014-12-14, 23:20

The first question you ask when watching Rebels is: "Why is Aladdin training to become a Jedi?"

Seriously. They even call him a "street rat" in the premiere episode.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-14, 23:36

Ohmigosh, thats true...that's who he reminded me of!

The young girl was wearing a Mandalorian helmet at several points.

I was kinda lost throughout, but after about two episodes I could roughly figure out what was what/who was who.

I saw an episode where Threepio and Artoo guest-starred (along with Senator Bail Organa, aka Jimmy Smits from the prequels).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-16, 18:57

As a huge Jeopardy! fan/watcher (and hopeful contestant), this just really bugs me.

For the actual show in question, it's it's on YouTube in its entirety. You can scrub to the 17:20 segment to see how this played out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-12-16 at 19:36. Reason: Removed editorializing/ranting...make up your own damn mind :)
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-01-03, 05:33

Just saw the third season of Sherlock last night. It really takes the term insufferable genius to all new heights, but unlike other insufferable geniuses I really like this one. This Sherlock is just completely incapable of playing second fiddle, not even at Watson's wedding, and sometimes there is very little difference between Sherlock and the villains. Usually I would count that as a negative, but Benedict Cumberbatch manages to pull it off by being a huge drama queen.

The mysteries themselves appear to be unsolvable by the viewer so one should just focus on the drama.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
It is particularly funny how Sherlock keeps driving Watson from one emotional extreme to the other. At the opening of the third episode (in this season) he's so affected by it all that he walks into a heroin den and casually dispatches a knife wielding drug addict with a dry remark about how he is used to a higher class of criminals.
¡Damned!

2015-01-06, 11:38

A friendly reminder that Marvel's Agent Carter premiers tonight.

I'm excited for this series, tbh. Beginnings of SHIELD, 40's outfits and scenery, Tony's father and a badass Hayley Atwell.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-01-06, 11:59

She is so pretty in that 40's styling. I thought it was already showing (I kinda fell out of the loop with AoS a while back). If I'm around, I may put it on and see what's what. She was one of my favorite parts of that first Captain America movie.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2015-01-07, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
A friendly reminder that Marvel's Agent Carter premiers tonight.

I'm excited for this series, tbh. Beginnings of SHIELD, 40's outfits and scenery, Tony's father and a badass Hayley Atwell.
I don't have cable and the official ABC site wants me to have an account with one of several major ISPs to see it before the week passes. (This was a continual annoyance with me for AoS.) My house of students got around it by calling our parents until someone coughed up their password, but still. Let me watch yooooou.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-01-07, 07:41

It's reasons like this that cause people to still pirate things.

ABC is an OTA channel. You should be able to stream their shows online without any cable subscription.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-01-07, 10:20

shrug. AoS hit Netflix pretty fast, I expect this will be the same.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-01-14, 22:37

Anyone tried The Americans from FX? Amazon's got it on Prime as well. I just finished the pilot and it shows promise. The main characters are both the heroes and the antagonists. You end up rooting for them and their opposition.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-01-15, 09:11

I watched the first episode and fell asleep haflway through the second. Never went back to it.

I've seen it get excellent reviews though, so I've been meaning to go back and watch it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-01-15, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I watched the first episode and fell asleep haflway through the second. Never went back to it.

I've seen it get excellent reviews though, so I've been meaning to go back and watch it.
Yeah, that was how I felt. I watched the second and didn't bother continuing to the third. The pace feels unnecessarily slow for a show that's supposed to be a spy thriller.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-01-15, 10:55

I've seen a few. I liked them, but feels like the kind of show I'd really have to pay attention to and go all in with, and it just didn't grab me that much.

"Discovered" it because I was flipping around the channels one night and there was Keri Russell wearing nothing but a bra being done from behind by some guy in a hotel. Pretty graphic for basic cable...I didn't realize they showed that much skin/movement/sounds.

"Wow, TV sure has changed...and she ain't Felicity no more!".
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2015-01-19, 18:45

Did anyone watch the new episode of Helix? I'd almost forgotten that show, but it popped up on DVR and I'm trying to decide if I want to reopen that wound.

I also saw the teaser ad for the new episode of The Strain and I'm really hopeful the new season is better. It looks like everything's going to be full blown chaos by that point, so that should be something.
¡Damned!

2015-02-12, 12:58

Man, Agent Carter has been really good… I'm bummed that there's only 2 more episodes to come.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2015-02-12, 22:14

Yeah, it had better get renewed for season 2. I think having a shorter episode count means each one punches harder.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-02-12, 23:12

Have a feeling the season of Agent Carter will culminate with Peggy becoming the new Director of the SSR after it is pretty thoroughly destroyed in its current state, prior to the flashbacks shown during AoS with the Diviner. Loving the way they are depicting the time period - it's done incredibly well. Not so certain they will look to do a second season so much as continued flashbacks (will really depend on the direction they take AoS), but I think part of what we see will be leading up to some other events to come in Civil War. If anything, I just want more Dum Dum Dugan. One of my favorite Marvel characters.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2015-03-24, 01:50

Bumpity bump.

Anyone feeling the love for Walking Dead still? Everything been a little too happy recently and needed a good bout of Trent Reznor to kick of this episode to take the characters to the toilet. Somewhat damaged? Yes, I think so.

Also going back and watching Utopia again - if you have not seen it, do. Quirky; all characters flawed; has a message. You will never look a spoon again in the same light.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-24, 19:15

Omega: yah I'm an episode behind right now, still watching last weeks on Netflix. But the two weeks prior to that were boring as hell. Not sure where they're going with it. I was kind of hoping that this would turn into another Terminus-like freak show except the gang would be wise to it and just take the whole damn town for themselves. But then they gave up their guns (sorry this has to be the the biggest BS plotline element they've had in the series because after Terminus... any chance in HELL they just hand all their guns over?? No f-ing chance. None.) they lost me at that point. Wait and see I guess. Might be shark jumping season. I don't care. I got plenty of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, House of Cards, Game of Thrones to catch up on this year, and some good books.

Meantime, the world waits to see how Scates is going to handle the un-redheadification of the one and only Scully for her reprisal episodes this summer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32035562

...into the light of a dark black night.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-25, 08:05

Things change again. I was going to be more specific but you never know where people are so kept the question more cryptic so not to spoil. Having not read the comics (I assume it is based on a comic series?) I was never sure where the series was headed. I don't think people watch it to see a happy ending, which is where it has been the last few weeks. Glad to see it getting back to its roots where everyone is screwed. I subscribe to the Bill Hicks theory that we are a virus with shoes!

Biggest complaint is that the zombies go from being mindless and a simple stab to the head is enough, and then the contrast where they become ninja stealth warriors that wreck havoc on "the walking dead". They go from clubbing baby seals to taking down the final boss.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-25, 08:13

And Scully - fap fap fap!

I can remember when the X Files first came out. Mulder had a stick up his arse the acting was so bad. I still have the series on video when I don't own a video player. X Files tragic? Present!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-03-25, 16:43

I'm sad that Clarkson has been sacked because I love the show.

I hope that he's learned something from this.

I hope the guys come back with a new show.

Top Gear won't be Top Gear without them.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-25, 21:30

Yah saw something on BBC about that but didn't read it in any detail. Some type of inappropriate comment / harrassment thing I'm guessing? The world has gone soff. Anything that offends anyone gets people shit-canned now. It's normal.

I don't know what he did and it was probably indeed offensive to someone out there and in bad taste, but the whole "I have the right to never be offended by anyone, especially public figures" thing has to get a rest. The world has bigger problems unless it's some kind of blatantly bigoted / hateful shit, in which case I wager you wouldn't be hoping he comes back to some other show (knowing that you're a Quality Capitain of the Realm ™).

Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2015-03-25, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Yah saw something on BBC about that but didn't read it in any detail. Some type of inappropriate comment / harrassment thing I'm guessing? The world has gone soff. Anything that offends anyone gets people shit-canned now. It's normal.

I don't know what he did and it was probably indeed offensive to someone out there and in bad taste, but the whole "I have the right to never be offended by anyone, especially public figures" thing has to get a rest. The world has bigger problems unless it's some kind of blatantly bigoted / hateful shit, in which case I wager you wouldn't be hoping he comes back to some other show (knowing that you're a Quality Capitain of the Realm ™).
He punched one of the producers. Jeremy Clarkson dropped
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-26, 00:40

Top Gear was a great show. When non car people sit and enjoy it you know that they were on a winner. Sadly Clarkson is a loud, obnoxious opinionated prat with a sense of entitlement (which is why he is so funny). I actually prefer Captain Slow as a presenter as he makes a great patsy for Clarkson bombastic nature and for the boyish charm of the Hamster.

Every other variant I saw was a shade on the original and quite frankly painful to watch. Can you imagine a no holds barred version? Would the UK have enough caravans?

¡Damned!

2015-03-26, 20:39

For the last month I've been watching The West Wing from the very beginning and savoring every episode. Some of the finest TV ever and it still holds up remarkably well some decade-ish later. When it was airing back then it was a mission for me to be home to watch it. I don't think I ever missed an episode for the first couple of seasons. Later, things got busier and I missed some here and there, and after a few years I was lucky to catch it at all. By my reckoning I saw most of the first 4 seasons and then petered off, only seeing newer episodes here and there.

And holy mother of god, was that a blessing. I'm half way into Season 5 and I still can't believe this isn't a joke. I keep waiting for something… something to bring it all back to the phenomenal thing that I've been rapt with this month, and hoo boy, it just feels like it's getting worse.

It's bad everything. I don't even want to go into specifics because I'm just heartbroken. It's like picking up a pie from your favorite pizza place and realizing the sauce has changed, and it's not good. It's bad. Then you taste the pepperoni. Is it pepperoni? WTF. Then you realize the black olives are spray-painted cheerios and the green peppers are gummi-worms and your head starts spinning. This can't be real.

Yep, it's real. What the fuck new pizza place, what the fuck.

Like I said, I'm half way through S5, and I really really want to keep holding my nose just to see if some of this mess clears up, but I'm not confident it will. I'm disappointed more than anything. I was having such a nice time.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-03-26, 22:59

Aaron Sorkin, the creative force behind West Wing, left at the end of S4. AFAIK he wrote virtually all of seasons 1-4 himself. S5 was written by committee (obviously) and was a total trainwreck. Things do get better in S6/7 when they get into the election storyline but the show never reaches the same level of quality that Sorkin maintained. The signature walk-and-talk disappears. Characters lose all depth and the jokes are barely funny anymore. (Sorkin was fantastic at dry humor)

All of S5 should just be forgotten from history. The Matrix sequels of television.

Really, the showrunners should've tied up the kidnapping story in S4 and just ended things. Have Bartlett resign for good or whatever and be done with it. Those first four seasons are truly great television.

I rewatch The West Wing every few years. Studio 60, Sorkin's next project, also showed promise. I was disappointed that show didn't do better but clearly he was too interested in the inside baseball that caused him to abandon TWW than he was in producing a new show (the big drama culminated in a battle with the FCC... yeah, he still wanted to write The West Wing)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-26, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
He punched one of the producers. Jeremy Clarkson dropped
Well that's both sad and understandable. Sad in the context of people used to get into fights and afterward let bygones be bygones. Everyone said their I'm sorries, learned their lesson and wore big boy pants so no one had to lose their job. Unless they did it a second time.

However it's understandable in the sense of if you punch someone in a work environment these days (in earnest), you're toast. That pretty much qualifies the guy as an idiot or completely lacking in self discipline.

Quote:
he screamed at a member of his staff for half an hour and then punched him because there was no hot food available
What the fuck? Did he like punch the guy in the face or the chest or what? Ego much? How bad does your judgement and your view of yourself relative to the world have to be, to the point you yell for a half hour and punch someone at work over FOOD issues? Here I was picturing something manly like a big argument over a new style of production or what was on tap for next season / how to cover it.

"No God damnit, we're not going to cover fucking cars with iWatch integration and driverless Google-pods with NSA-Assist ™!"