Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Filling in PDF forms

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Filling in PDF forms
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-18, 17:56

Great, so one of Tiger's touted new features is its ability to fill in PDF forms. So I filled in this incredibly long form with lots of information I never knew I even had ("list all countries you have entered in the last ten (!!) years" WTF??). But when I wanted to save it so I could print it from the PC, it wouldn't let me. I couldn't even "print" it as a PDF - only PS. So I did that, but then it couldn't convert the resulting file to PDF. Crap. So I filled out the whole crap again on the PC (with some c&p via a shared file).

And then, when I wanted to close Preview, it suddenly asked me if I wanted to save the file! Wonderful, so I said yes and it did save the file with all my info in it. Why couldn't it just let me save the file when I wanted to? Sometimes my love for the Mac can decrease slightly ...
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-05-18, 22:30

Gotta link to the form itself? Maybe there's something freaky about it rather than the Mac's implementation of the form (limits on saving various pieces of information, etc.).
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-19, 03:44

Yep, here's the link. I don't see why they should keep me from saving it - and even if, it wouldn't make sense to be able to save it on exit, then. Well whatever, forms have been handed in and the visa is on its way now
JLL

2005-05-19, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
And then, when I wanted to close Preview, it suddenly asked me if I wanted to save the file! Wonderful, so I said yes and it did save the file with all my info in it. Why couldn't it just let me save the file when I wanted to? Sometimes my love for the Mac can decrease slightly ...
Adobe Reader can't save forms either.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-05-19, 09:27

When I open the form in Adobe Reader 7, I get the warning:

You cannot save data typed in this form
Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records

Sounds like it's a security option in the PDF, not Tiger
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-19, 09:35

reader on windows doesn't allow me to save it, either, yet since it looks like you were able to work around those limitations and save it anyway. If so, it appears that your mac gives you more freedom than you'd have on windows.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-05-19, 10:49

As others have speculated, it's a security option inside the PDF. In Adobe Reader: File -> Document Properties -> Security
"Submitting Forms: Not Allowed"
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-05-19, 11:46

This reminds me of the PDF file security issue with my state (Minnesota) income tax forms earlier this year. I couldn't save them with my info intact, only print them.

Oddly, the federal income tax forms I filled out at the same time did allow me to save my typed-in information.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-20, 03:18

PDFpenPro has the same problem - decribes the file a secure file.
ipaqrat

2005-05-22, 05:42

In certain cases, especailly tax forms, the publisher of the form may well be using a security feature on purpose, but the purpose might not be security at all. It might be a liability issue - they don't want it coming back on them if data submitted is formatted wrong, or calculated incorrectly, or doesn't match current statutes. In many cases there is a regulation that prohibits a government entitiy from competing with a commercial product. Morons and Cowards. Here's your paperless office.