User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (iPod speculation)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (iPod speculation)
Page 2 of 8 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-08-30, 05:22

iPod Shuffle --> 2GB and 4GB
iPod Mini --> 8GB and 12GB (or Mini gets colour screen and Photo capability)
iPod Photo --> Video (100GB)

All for the same prices (except the iPod Video).

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-08-30 at 05:23.

iCarus

2005-08-30, 05:31

So they release the iPod updates at this little gathering and that frees up Paris for new Mac announcements. For example:

The release a new xPod - huge, size of an iBook but half the depth, basically a couple of massive harddrives (lack of optical drive, touchpad, keyboards leaves room for say 4 120GB HDDs), a processor, video card and a Firewire 1600 dock connector that plugs only into the.....

xStation, announced at Paris, even huger, think NeXT Cube but double the dimensions.

Flying High....but not too high....

BowerPook

2005-08-30, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorM
...some sort of Tivo to Go...
...that could really be it - Podcasting system from TV, Made For iEye

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-30, 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerPook
...that could really be it - Podcasting system from TV, Made For iEye

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-08-30, 07:21

Wow. Lotsa "young" posters in this thread. What's that about??

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-30, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarus
So they release the iPod updates at this little gathering and that frees up Paris for new Mac announcements.
Hmm.....it does add to speculation and certainly gives a different slant to Expo. If there is a big announcment for the 7th, presumably that would only happen if there were to be a big announcement at Expo which Jobs didn't want to overshadow. Speculation indeed, we'll have to see.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Wow. Lotsa "young" posters in this thread. What's that about??
Now I was reliably informed you are as young as the woman (man?) you feel.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-08-30 at 07:39.

HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-30, 07:33

Quote:
torifile
No idea, I noticed that not many of the "senior" members of AN haven't posted here to...

BTW, your signature is false advertising!

Last edited by HezMah19 : 2005-08-30 at 07:36.

*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2005-08-30, 08:26

Honestly I think the phone is more likely to be announced on the 7th that at the Paris expo. I just don't think the 'iPhone' will be such a big deal in europe or asia, as it will in the US. It would face much tougher competition in europe, as the cellphone market over here appears to be very different to over the pond in the US.
When the 'iPhone' rumors started, I had a look at products with a similar musical capabilities as well as other features, and the US cellular market seems to be lacking in feature-rich high quality phones, for reasonable prices.

Therefore I think any launches at the Paris expo will not include the iPhone.

namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-08-30, 09:03

torifile. i think it is called the halo effect!

for me i hardly ever participate in forums.. i've been scoping for a new machine and i'm a long time mac user... still have my apple ][+, quadra 660av, 9600, G4 and stock that I got when they were in the toilet!

I'm a believer!

None Such

2005-08-30, 09:07

ugh, how frustrating. My birthday is Sept 4th and my wife is getting me a 60GB ipod. If they announce 5th generation ipods 3 days after I get a 4th gen one I'm gonna be pissed.

¡Damned!

2005-08-30, 09:15

Half of the places reporting this are calling it a "special event", and the other half are calling it a "special music event". Which is it?

If it's the latter I'd lean towards an iPhone thingy. 4GB of flash memory (“1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.”).

If it's the former...it could be damn near anything.

So it goes.

Baron Munchausen

2005-08-30, 09:26

Special music event?

I wonder if it is a Billboard 'smart playlist' you cannot move/copy which has the top chart songs in? What a way to push the current music and tantalise people as it slips from the chart and is no longer available.

Feature request: Can it filter out 'ringtone spin-offs'?

¡Damned!

2005-08-30, 09:33

fwiw, The NY Times reports it will be a cellphone:

Quote:
Apple Computer and Motorola plan to unveil a long-awaited mobile phone and music player next week that will incorporate Apple's iTunes software, a telecommunications industry analyst who has been briefed on the announcement said on Monday.

Roger Entner, a telecommunications analyst with Ovum, a market research firm, said he had been told by an industry executive that the new phone, to be made by Motorola, would be marketed by Cingular Wireless. Mr. Entner said it would include iTunes software, which helps power the iPod.

noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-08-30, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
fwiw, The NY Times reports it will be a cellphone:
Stop trying to add facts - it takes the fun out of speculation!

Greetings

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 09:47

What, you think the NY Times has *facts*?

Feh.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-30, 10:11

Now if I said that, I'd be catching grief...

I'm betting it is a phone. But a little more than "just a phone" (because I just don't see a Motorola cell phone that plays some iTunes deserving of this special event roll-out). I still think it'll have some cool, unexpected Apple mojo under the hood, making it an absolute must-have for Mac users, and geeks in general. What that would be, I have no idea. But surely to goodness, this thing would do more than play some songs? Otherwise...who really cares?

Go poke around Cingular's site and see what's possibly lying around, exposed...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-08-30 at 10:13.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 10:15

It could be a phone like 'scates is suggesting, plus the rumored MVNO?

Gizzer

2005-08-30, 11:06

If it is a phone, that seems like a heck of a lot of effort for not much of a big deal...

I'm not sure about in the US but in Europe pretty much every phone produced in the last 12 months (give or take) now plays MP3's. For Apple to imply they have a groundbreaking idea I would hope it's not just another one of these. Even Apple couldn't add too much value added Apple-y goodness to something so basic.

My hopes would therefore be on an all-new video iPod. That in itself would be great news - what would be the clincher is a final announcement that although the new spanky video iPod has a lovely large screen ideally suited to Video, they will also be releasing an iPod Updater that makes all iPod Photo's/current Colour screened iPods play video too. Just on a smaller screen. That would be cool (& I remember reading on these forums months ago that the chip in current colour screened iPods is capable of video).

The only bad vibe I get from this is that Mortorola did say they'd make the iPhone announcement some time in September... I hope it's at Paris as a side note...

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer
The only bad vibe I get from this is that Mortorola did say they'd make the iPhone announcement some time in September... I hope it's at Paris as a side note...

Nooooooooooooooooo,

We need Paris for those PPC products that are still in the pipeline. Ya no, the really great ones.

mjteix

2005-08-30, 11:50

Motorola is doing his thing in NY at the same time Apple is doing his in SF.
It's the phone.
Maybe Ed Zander will call Steve J. and they will listen to songs on their iTunes phone during the announcement.

It will also be a flash-based 4GB iPod mini (from the samsung announcement). $199
Shuffles? 1 and 2GB $99-149
and how about a 8GB color-screen mini (HD based) $249?

iTunes 5

iPod video? not sure it is yet the right time.

mjteix

2005-08-30, 11:57

Quote:
We need Paris for those PPC products that are still in the pipeline.
True, I can wait to see the new 7448 PowerBooks (all three!) and the new dual-core PowerMacs (from the "dual" 2.0 to the "quad" 2.5)

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 12:00

Wait, what if when you make a phone call to your S.O. or not so S.O. you can play a song on your phone and the other person can hear it as clear as can be. Now that I have not heard of yet unless you count holding the mouth piece to the speaker of your stereo.

Mile 1

Wrao
Yarp

2005-08-30, 12:03

I'd like to think it's something more fantastical than a video iPod. I mean, competing players have video functionality, meaning, if it is a video iPod, apple would have to be coupling that with something radical that'd make their video player more desirable than everyone else's video player.

So, I dunno, it probably is a video iPod, I just hope there is some twist that makes it really really neat.

On a side note, what's with the iTunes phone being cingular only? I'm literally a month away from renewing my verizon plan and getting a bitching new phone grr.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-08-30 at 12:07.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-30, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Wait, what if when you make a phone call to your S.O. or not so S.O. you can play a song on your phone and the other person can hear it as clear as can be.
Sounds gimmicky. How often would such a feature actually be used? I can think of no times that I (nor anyone I know) would do that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-30, 12:15

If you were perhaps John Cusack, OR you found yourself starring in a John Hughes movie from about 1988, I could imagine that being a useful, cool feature. Otherwise...

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Sounds gimmicky. How often would such a feature actually be used? I can think of no times that I (or anyone I know) would do that.
Gimmicky? Yes it is, but so are so many things in life. As a teenager in the early eighties, I did put the phone up to the speakers of my stereo so I could share a new song with a friend and so did many of my friends.

Mile 1

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 12:30

Brad, you haven't heard about ringbacks, have you?

It's a custom song snippet that the person who *calls* you hears instead of the normal ringing, *and* you can set it up per person who calls.

It's $2 a pop at Verizon, and it's one of their hottest things.

*I* think it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-30, 12:31

Ohmigosh...how funny. I made my "John Hughes movie from 1988" comment, just as oldmacfan wrote about his "speaker sharing" from back in the day (which I did too, of course).

Back before the Internet and these new-fangled music gadgets, a fella had to work with what was available to him! And if popping in your new Men at Work cassette and putting the (corded) phone near the speaker so your buddy or girlfriend could hear "Overkill", then, by gosh, that's what you did!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-30, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
With any luck at all, it'll be either a Green Day or Ashlee Simpson Special Edition iPod. And I, for one, can't WAIT!
Care to bet a glass of sour milk on it? I am betting on the Boys 2 Men Limited edition in 5 fruity flavors!

iPod mini Flash based in 4GB and 6GB configurations (based on difficulty of getting minis in ANY color or size, and rumors)

20GB iPod to dissappear and be replaced with 40GB in new 5th Gen case design (based on wild-ass speculation)

80GB iPod video in 1st Gen case design w/larger screen (touch screen?) (based on additional wild-ass speculation and inability to aquire 60GB iPods)

my 2 cents!

And welcome to all the newbies!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Ohmigosh...how funny. I made my "John Hughes movie from 1988" comment, just as oldmacfan wrote about his "speaker sharing" from back in the day (which I did too, of course).

Back before the Internet and these new-fangled music gadgets, a fella had to work with what was available to him! And if popping in your new Men at Work cassette and putting the (corded) phone near the speaker so your buddy or girlfriend could hear "Overkill", then, by gosh, that's what you did!

I am glad I am not the only one who did this for the chicks