User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 2
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-20, 21:51

The next iPad will probably include a ton of features that will help to make the transition to tablet computing happen more quickly. I suppose that the next iteration of the iPad will include the following features:

•Higher res screen with a smaller sized but high res screen, less expensive iPad and a 9.7 inch display with a bit better resolution.

•32 GB standard HD size, hopefully with an expansion slot.

•A front and rear facing camera.

•Lighter weight.

•1 GB of RAM just to shut up spec tards.

All of this and maybe more...especially because Apple needs to get ON this stuff now instead of later if they intend to keep way ahead of the copy-cats and spin-off products.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-06-20, 22:27

It would be great if you could use it as your only computer... As no need another one to do the setup/sync/updates.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2010-06-20, 22:53

I have this dream of an iPad (or even iPhone) that runs full-fledged OS X when connected to a monitor and keyboard. iOS is just the touch interface when operated on the road.

Get to the office, dock your phone, and you have your full computer. Oh, how awesome that would be.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
•Higher res screen with a smaller sized but high res screen, less expensive iPad and a 9.7 inch display with a bit better resolution.
I think a Retina display is a must-have for Apple now. Should be realistic by next year, I hope??

Quote:
•32 GB standard HD size, hopefully with an expansion slot.
They've never included an expansion slot on anything to date, so I'd be surprised if they started any time soon. An SD card slot might be cool, but mainly for uploading photos without the need for a separate camera connection kit.

Quote:
When has Apple ever done anything for that reason??? They don't even publish specs like this for iDevices.

Quote:
All of this and maybe more...especially because Apple needs to get ON this stuff now instead of later if they intend to keep way ahead of the copy-cats and spin-off products.
I don't think they're overly worried about the competition, more about making their own products as awesome as possible (even if that means leaving stuff out).

The main things I'd like to see in iPad 2 are: (1) 32GB standard, (2) Retina display (3) the ability to use it without a computer to sync to (and a back-up method, e.g. Time Machine). Anything else is a bonus . I haven't got an iPad yet, I'll most likely end up buying an iPad 2 when they're released.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-06-21, 01:38

Retina display iPad sounds like a possibility
32/64/128 GB storage is ideal
Front and Rear cams as well
I see the weight as staying the same for battery life.
1GB of RAM would be really nice
No expansion slots however.Printing is going wifi and cloud storage looms

I'd like 4G support
The ability to run as a Wifi adhoc computer (for easy eyefi uploads)
I'd like a DisplayPort output for HD output
I'd like a faster processor. Multi-core with potentially multi-core GPU
Bluetooth 3.0 and Near Field Communication support

omgwtfbbq
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-21, 01:41

They're not gonna quadruple the RAM.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-21, 01:46

Am I the only one who thinks it would be weird for Apple to introduce a 1024x768 iPad only to introduce a "Retina" version a year later? I suppose they really wanted to get the iPad under $500. (A 9.7" 300dpi display sounds expensive.)

But given how much they're pushing the Retina thing (oh, buzzwords) on the iPhone, and given how they're pushing the iPad as an alternative to print (even moreso than the iPhone) it makes sense.

Retina display, FaceTime camera, capacity doublings and double the RAM (to match the iPhone 4, not exceed it) sounds like a pretty comprehensive update to me. If they did all that, I'd be happy. I think some of you might be setting yourselves up for disappointment, hoping for 4x the RAM and SD slots and all...

But I've been wrong before.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-06-21, 05:28

Think iPhone 4, but bigger.

And to be honest. I think Apple will make us wait a while for the iPad 2.

I'm not getting what the obsession here is with "Retina Display". I think it's a little confusing to people what it actually is. It's basically a step towards Resolution Independence in the OS, and the way they manufacture the screen.

The first of those two things you can expect in iOS, as they are ultimately going to unify the iPad, iPhone and iPod OS.

I don't see the second coming any time soon... 300 odd pixels per inch on an iPad sized display?
They'd need a whole new GPU in the SoC before they even considered that.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-21, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Think iPhone 4, but bigger.

And to be honest. I think Apple will make us wait a while for the iPad 2.
Really? I think the opposite... I think we could see an update, even if minor than what's being discussed here, as early as this fall along with iOS 4.0 for iPad.

At the least I see them adding Facetime before Christmas... the slot for the camera is there, the software is done, and most iPads are used predominantly on WiFi anyway.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 07:45

The iPad is pretty great as is. I'm looking forward to iOS 4. Of course, I would like higher resolution, like everyone else here. (And FWIW, I completely agree with Scratt's comment above.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-21, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Really? I think the opposite... I think we could see an update, even if minor than what's being discussed here, as early as this fall along with iOS 4.0 for iPad.

At the least I see them adding Facetime before Christmas... the slot for the camera is there, the software is done, and most iPads are used predominantly on WiFi anyway.
I agree. What an amazing gift that would be (especially, being used on WiFi, they make it work just like iChat or whatever, so you can use it to talk to anyone...on their iPad, on their iPhone 4 or on their Mac/PC). That's when FaceTime becomes truly useful, and if it winds up on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, over WiFi, that's a lot of people staying in touch with one another in a really nice, intimate way that e-mail and texting can't even begin to touch.

I also think the iPad will be on a shorter update/upgrade cycle than both the Macs and the iPhone.

But it's hard to tell, really, just three or so months in. They've got a bonafide hit on their hand, and I'd hate to imagine them letting it just kinda sit there and stagnate until next March (like they so often do with their Macs. Mac Pros or MacBook Air, anyone? Exactly).

The iPad should've had a damn front-facing camera from the start, so you know that's coming in Rev. B. And it wouldn't surprise me if we saw one between September-November. If they did nothing else but add that, up the RAM to an iPhone-matching 512MB and ship it with iOS 4.0, gazillions of people would still buy it (and thousands of Rev. A iPads would get handed off to happy, appreciative spouses, kids, grandparents, friends, etc.).
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post

Unification of the various iPhone OSs is something I've been predicting since the iPad was rumoured. That's a no brainer. It's what iOS is all about. It's not anything to do with iPad 2, other than the fact that all iDevices will run iOS 'unified' moving forwards.

Are we talking about iPad 2 in this thread, as per the title. Or are we talking about iPad 1 *bumped*?
I don't see FaceTime on the iPad before Christmas. Perhaps one camera. But not two. Paul might get lucky with the one camera being front facing. That seems more likely to me than making the iPad a camera. But not sure if we'll see that before Christmas or not.

If we're talking about iPad 1 *bumped*, then perhaps we might see something.
Not sure what.
Not convinced on front and back facing cameras.
Not convinced on screen resolution increase.

Some OS updates, and some more RAM. iMovie for iPad. Quite likely. But that's a bump. Not iPad 2.

Also consider this :

1. Apple's iPad manufacturing chain is in meltdown right now. They're not even going to be up to full speed before year end.
2. Apple's iPhone manufacturing chain is in something far worse than meltdown. Part of it doesn't even come online until 2011!!

Finally :
You cannot increase the iPad's screen resolution and stay with the Apple A4.
The GPU in the iPad and iPhone 4 is already fill rate limited at the level of the iPhone 3G. 3G is not a typo.

EDIT: Of course we could go totally bat shit crazy and decide that Apple is working on a limited run (separate manufacturing line) iPad Pro (where've I heard a rumour like that before?) which is going do everything, including your laundry, giving great head, and replacing your Mac! But then again...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2010-06-21 at 08:25.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-21, 08:20

doesn't the new Mac mini have an expansion slot?

the iPad can have a nicer screen without it going to retina standards...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-21, 08:21

Quote:
doesn't the new Mac mini have an expansion slot?
Depends on what you mean by that. It has an SD card slot.
¡Damned!

2010-06-21, 08:23

I'd still like to see something in-between the iPad and iPhone in size. Same resolution as the iPhone 4, but more the size of a paperback book. Something I could still read an eBook on, but also something I could surf the web without having to zoom in-and-out of the page.

I know. It won't happen for a while, but that's my ideal device.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-21, 08:26

Yeah, I guess "iPad 2" isn't the same as "iPad Rev. B". Sorry.

I still stand by my "Rev. B" talk above (but I don't think the iPad is destined for a back-facing camera...too big and awkward to try and shoot pictures or video with such a big, flat device, IMO...try to imagine doing so and tell me exactly how you'd hold it and where you hands/fingers would go to operate the onscreen buttons. See what I mean? Not the most elegant, steady approach, is it?). I think it would only ever wind up with a front-facing one for FaceTime/iChat-type usage (where it actually makes sense, as a communication device).

As for iPad 2, a truly "second-generation" model that we won't see until 2011?

I have no idea. I'm not sure that Retina Display really makes sense on something already so large and visible. I think it works on the iPhone because, at 3.5", you're constantly having to zoom in to read smaller stuff. It seems this iPhone 4 screen remedies some of that, making the smaller text much sharper.

But is anyone complaining about "hard to read" text on an iPad? To me, that device seems perfectly-sized for its purposes. I don't know...maybe someday, but I don't think Retina Display was intended for that (or the iMac, the notebooks or standalone displays...we use those differently, with our heads farther away and with much more real estate to comfortably work with). I think Retina Display was devised strictly for the iPhone (and iPod touch)...to improve those two particular platforms, due to their small screens and how text and other items are displayed.

I guess some sort of beefier, bumped A4? Can't imagine the physical design changing much, as it seems about as thin and light as it can go and still feel sturdy.

A lot of it might be in the software? The device itself, apart from the missing front-facing camera, seems really tight and "there".

Maybe the iPad will go much longer (2-3 years between major versions/redesigns), but get yearly (or twice-yearly) "revision updates" in the form of RAM, software and capacity tweaks? Like the Macs do...this new iMac and MacBook design will carry on for at least another two or so years...but in that time, each will get several processor/RAM/hard drive updates and other small, under-the-hood tweaks but using the same body style/design. Apple doesn't redesign the outward appearance of their Macs every year, after all. The iPad might look like the iPad well into 2012-2013? By then, maybe new processors, boards, drives, cameras and other components will be such that an even thinner, flatter iPad could be designed and built? Sometimes these companies have to wait on the tech and manufacturing to "catch up" to their big ideas.

I'm sure Ive has sketched up an iPad as thin as a Ritz cracker...they just can't build it yet.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'd still like to see something in-between the iPad and iPhone in size. Same resolution as the iPhone 4, but more the size of a paperback book. Something I could still read an eBook on, but also something I could surf the web without having to zoom in-and-out of the page.

I know. It won't happen for a while, but that's my ideal device.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Just like I'd buy a 12" MBP, if they'd produce one of those instead of the Air!
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I guess some sort of beefier, bumped A4?
Most likely a Cortex-A9 and this GPU will be the Apple A5.

Then we really will be cooking with gas! But not this year.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Retina display, FaceTime camera, (snip)
Assuming that FaceTime isn't intrinsically linked to the phone protocol, as it appears it may be. I'm not a technical expert on that, so I'll wait for someone who is to give us the run-down on all that when Apple releases the FaceTime specs and everything. But I have a hunch we won't be seeing FaceTime on the iPad anytime soon, if ever. Still, a front-facing camera for iChat etc. would be nice. But at this stage I'm not sure it's a given (as in, you want video chat on your iDevice, you get an iPhone). I guess we'll get a better idea in the coming months, especially when we see whether or not the iPod touch gains a front-facing camera - my guess is not. But I dunno, the iPad would be great for video chat, but I think Apple's investing all their video-chat chips in FaceTime, which seems like it might be phone-only.

I'm rambling

Quote:
I have no idea. I'm not sure that Retina Display really makes sense on something already so large and visible. I think it works on the iPhone because, at 3.5", you're constantly having to zoom in to read smaller stuff. It seems this iPhone 4 screen remedies some of that, making the smaller text much sharper.

But is anyone complaining about "hard to read" text on an iPad? To me, that device seems perfectly-sized for its purposes. I don't know...maybe someday, but I don't think Retina Display was intended for that (or the iMac, the notebooks or standalone displays...we use those differently, with our heads farther away and with much more real estate to comfortably work with). I think Retina Display was devised strictly for the iPhone (and iPod touch)...to improve those two particular platforms, due to their small screens and how text and other items are displayed.
I disagree. Sure, it makes more sense on a device where the small screen requires greater detail. But I think it also makes a lot of sense on any iOS device, where they want it to compare to print. One of the primary uses of an iPad is reading text, whether it's a magazine, iBook, textbook, or of course website. And the whole idea of the Retina display is that it's comparable to print. The text looks extremely sharp and the pixels are laminated right onto the glass. So the experience of reading it is phenomenal. Of course, I've never seen an iPad nor an iPhone 4, but that's what I'm getting from all the talk that's going on, anyway. The iPad screen is really good, but it's still no Retina display. So really, it's just a matter of when it's feasible (technologically and economically) to put it in. Perhaps next year, perhaps the year after. But I think Apple are definitely keen to do it ASAP.

Quote:
Maybe the iPad will go much longer (2-3 years between major versions/redesigns), but get yearly (or twice-yearly) "revision updates" in the form of RAM, software and capacity tweaks? Like the Macs do...this new iMac and MacBook design will carry on for at least another two or so years...but in that time, each will get several processor/RAM/hard drive updates and other small, under-the-hood tweaks but using the same body style/design. Apple doesn't redesign the outward appearance of their Macs every year, after all. The iPad might look like the iPad well into 2012-2013? By then, maybe new processors, boards, drives, cameras and other components will be such that an even thinner, flatter iPad could be designed and built? Sometimes these companies have to wait on the tech and manufacturing to "catch up" to their big ideas.
I think it's going to fall straight into the yearly upgrade cycle of the iPod and iPhone. Keep in mind though that they haven't updated the look of the iPhone every year. The iPhone didn't change visually from 3G to 3GS and, realistically, I expect the iPhone 4 design to last at least 2 years as well (if not more!).
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 09:46

Quote:
Yeah, I guess "iPad 2" isn't the same as "iPad Rev. B". Sorry.

I still stand by my "Rev. B" talk above (but I don't think the iPad is destined for a back-facing camera...too big and awkward to try and shoot pictures or video with such a big, flat device, IMO...try to imagine doing so and tell me exactly how you'd hold it and where you hands/fingers would go to operate the onscreen buttons. See what I mean? Not the most elegant, steady approach, is it?). I think it would only ever wind up with a front-facing one for FaceTime/iChat-type usage (where it actually makes sense, as a communication device).
Prior to the demos of FaceTime, I would have agreed that the iPad would likely only get a front facing camera. But in the demo, they highlight the ability to switch between cameras so that you can show the person on the other end what's happening around you. Based on that, I'd give a back camera 50/50 odds of making onto a future iPad.

Quote:
As for iPad 2, a truly "second-generation" model that we won't see until 2011?

I think every display should aspire to the highest resolution possible - iOS devices, full laptops, desktops, and even TV screens. Right now, I imagine that cost will be the biggest barrier to that end on larger devices. It will start on the smaller devices - like the iPhone and iPod Touch, and slowly make it's way onto larger devices. That puts the iPad as the next in line. Will it be next year? I kinda doubt it. Besides cost, the iPad would also need more processing capability, though I'm sure they're hard at work on that right now.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-06-21, 12:22

I really don't think there will be a revision to iPad in any way for 2010. It's not like they're having trouble selling them, and it would be highly unprecedented. iPhones and iPods never get updated more than once a year, unless you want to count the original iPhone's mid-cycle capacity bump.

But adding more RAM or a camera mid-cycle? No way.

I predict that we see iPad 2 with double the RAM, retina display, and front-facing camera in April 2011. This is an extremely safe prediction but I'm making it anyway in the face of crazy quad-RAM, dual camera, 128 GB iPad in Fall 2010 predictions.

The real question: will the current iPad stick around for $399 ($349?) once iPad 2 drops?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-21, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I really don't think there will be a revision to iPad in any way for 2010. It's not like they're having trouble selling them, and it would be highly unprecedented. iPhones and iPods never get updated more than once a year, unless you want to count the original iPhone's mid-cycle capacity bump.

But adding more RAM or a camera mid-cycle? No way.
RAM? yes way.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-06-21, 12:32

Quote:
RAM? yes way.
Why? Is there a large group of people not buying iPads because they are not satisfied with the amount of RAM?
chucker

2010-06-21, 12:58

It's clearly selling just fine (understatement of the year), but RAM is something they'll want to bump for the next revision.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-06-21, 12:58

Quote:
(...)

(...)
Quote:
RAM? yes way.

As far as I get it, one of the major upsides with iDevices is that users don't have to worry about things such as RAM.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-06-21, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's clearly selling just fine (understatement of the year), but RAM is something they'll want to bump for the next revision.
Next revision, yes. Which is what I said. But tosh appears to be arguing that there will be a RAM bump sometime in 2010.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 13:05

I think we'll see a 512MB iPad before the end of the year.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-06-21, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I think we'll see a 512MB iPad before the end of the year.
Just because?
chucker

2010-06-21, 13:10

Apple doesn't rush revisions just because there is demand (just look at the Mac mini ). They waited a whole year to add 3G (and little else) to the iPhone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-21, 13:15

Okay, camera, RAM, etc. stuff aside, there is something that I think would be a wonderful feature for the second iPad (or even the current one, via a software update): someone upthread even touched on it, and I was saying it months ago, before the iPad even hit the street:

The ability for the iPad to be a self-contained, self-registering/activating device.

And they'd have to provide an app to configure, set-up and maintain an AirPort network (because I think if you're buying an iPad for your first, and only, computer, you should be able to get an AirPort Express for $49).

Or, better yet, Apple could sell an even more stripped down wall-pluggable AirPort device for as cheap as possible, sans speaker jack and USB port (AirPort Plain...get it? )...just simply provide WiFi, and make it available (and targeted for) iPad buyers who don't already have a computer and home wireless setup. Plug it in, launch an iOS AirPort configuration app, enter some info and boom...you're off and running.

But, yes...an iPad that doesn't require another computer to get up and running. The iPad could/should be aimed at the very people who aren't likely to have a computer already in the house anyway, IMO...

So I'd like to see that happen down the road. I think that would prove to be a very popular decision.

The self-aware iPad.

"I'm my own device. I don't need your damn iMac to be useful...".