User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Are you allowed to "upgrade" to a lesser version of Adobe CS?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Are you allowed to "upgrade" to a lesser version of Adobe CS?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-27, 16:24

I have the Premium version of the first Adobe Creative Suite (bought it a few years ago).

Anyway, I would like to upgrade to CS2...however, I've NEVER used Acrobat (full version) and GoLive, the two extra components that make the premium edition, well, premium.

All I need/want are the three core apps found in the Standard edition that I make my living with: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop (we use CS2 at work, and I really dig some of the Photoshop and InDesign enhancements).

On Adobe's site the only options they specifically mention for upgrading from CS1 to CS2 are within each category (Standard CS1 > Standard CS2, etc.), OR going, of course, from Standard CS1 to Premium CS2.

Apparently I'm the lone idiot actually looking to go from Premium CS1 to Standard CS2. An upgrade via downgrade, as it were...

Not a huge issue (I'll call 'em if it gets to be too much), but I was just wondering if any of you have been in the same situation and what you were able to work out?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-01-27, 16:33

I don't "own" any CS products, so I don't know for sure.

I'd say call them.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-27, 18:40

I believe the upgrades just require a valid license key. I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't work. Of course you can't find it out until you've agreed to the license to keep the software after you've bought it. Damn shrink-wrap licensing.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-27, 19:36

Here's a theory why this *might* not work. That is not to say it won't, just playing devil's advocate here.

When you upgrade, you trade in your old license to cover the rest between what you pay and what a complete license would cost. So that means you lose your old license - otherwise you could sell your existing license and maybe end up making a profit upgrading, while Adobe is losing business. That doesn't matter for the programs you get a new license for, but since the upgrade presumably only puts new stuff on your computer, you would still have a (illegal) copy of Acrobat on your machine.

The only way to find out is probably to call them. But I can imagine that they won't do it - if not for the reason above, then because they've locked you into the Premium track, and they won't let you out of that easily.

Last edited by ghoti : 2006-01-27 at 19:52.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-27, 19:51

Rats...that's a $500-something upgrade, I believe...

In any case, my next Mac will be one of the Intel-based ones (and unless the new iBook or mini is really something else, I've all but settled on the 17" iMac Core Duo...a "little brother" to the 20" I use at work).

So I guess I won't be making a move until Adobe releases CS2 in a Universal version, huh?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-01-27 at 20:26.
Batman

2006-01-27, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Rats...that's a $500-something upgrade, I believe...

In any case, my next Mac will be one of the Intel-based ones (and unless the new iBook or mini is really something else, I've all but settled on the 17" iMac Core Duo...a "little brother" to the 20" I use at work).

So I guess I won't be making a move until Adobe releases CS2 in a Universal version, huh?
I highly recomend the 17" iMac Core Duo. It's wicked fast
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-27, 21:47

Batman,

I think Pscates has some new 20" iMac, oh just before that built in iSight ones came out and is still smarting from it.

*runs away from Pscates*
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-27, 22:13

Well, it's my work machine so I didn't pay for it. So it's not too bad. It was the Rev. B iMac G5, I suppose (released in April-May of 2005, the model prior to the iSight/Front Row iMacs announced in October).

It, too, is "wicked fast". Been using it full-time for a bit now, and am very, very pleased! I'm really digging that display...so big, so crisp, so bright.

At home I don't normally push around large Photoshop files like I do at work, so I imagine I'd be EXTREMELY happy with a 17" iMac Core Duo...that's quite a bit of machine for only $1,299!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-28, 01:31

I wasn't thinking of money; more about your boss scowling over your shoulder.

Good to know it's useful at your work, tho.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-28, 07:17

Adobe used to be very flexible on upgrades... from ancient versions of their apps into CS1 and from CS to individual updates of single apps or from Premium to Standard (in the case of site licenses and schools who only needed a limited number of seats of one component app).

The standard line from the Adobe reps I know was always "Call Adobe's 1-800 number and ask".

If in doubt, always blame the dweebs in purchasing.
ironlung

2006-01-29, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
At home I don't normally push around large Photoshop files like I do at work, so I imagine I'd be EXTREMELY happy with a 17" iMac Core Duo...that's quite a bit of machine for only $1,299!
1299-125 & no taxes at amazon.com!