User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 22 of 31 First Previous 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-01, 13:08

I know. It is amazing how far we have come that they can even design it to operate that way. Thanks for sharing PKIDelirium!
Quagmire
meh

2020-07-02, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
They lost a couple flown-several-times-already boosters on Starlink missions earlier in the year, but Starlink was a trajectory they weren't fully used to, and other factors played into both. One of them lost the center engine from some alcohol used in the between-flight cleaning process had been left in part of the system, and without the center engine you can't steer correctly or fire the landing burn. It burned up during entry. The other one had rough seas in the landing area and self-aborted to hit the ocean so the droneship wouldn't be damaged.

By default, the grid fins keep them on a trajectory to deliberately miss the droneship or ground pad until the landing burn starts, so if there's a problem, they just hit the ocean. When the landing burn starts (or fails to start for whatever reason), that's when the booster's guidance computer commits to either correct that and target the pad/ship, or abort into the drink.
As perfectly seen with CRS-16 launch and B1050 taking a bath due to the grid fin malfunction.

Scott Manley explains it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1nyPIvLjI

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-21, 12:27

And another one. At 23:20 is the best video of the 1st stage recovery landing that I've seen so far. Very well done.

I watched a video somewhere about the timing required for that landing burn. It literally has to be *exact*, because without the fuel and payload, that single Raptor engine will send the first stage right back into the sky unless it shuts down exactly as the landing legs touch down. Any longer and the thing re-launches!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-21, 21:49

The fact that these landings on drone ships have become routine still blows my mind.

I remember the first few where it missed, or fell over, etc... and it was so close, yet seemed so far away.

Now? It's basically guarantee that these things are being recovered (when possible)

What a crazy and great time to be back into the space race.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-22, 11:19

No doubt. It will get to the point where a failure will be ?!?

They're getting really good at this.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-07-23, 04:12

There were two failed droneship landings earlier this year, both on Starlink launches. One was the one I used before to describe the safety trajectory for booster landings, which lost the center engine late in ascent, was unable to carry out the entry burn properly and subsequently disintegrated, and the other was similar to CRS-16's landing abort just off the Cape from the ground LZ, which experienced a problem and automatically steered away from the ship during the landing burn, performing a "soft landing" in the ocean. That one, like CRS-16 remained almost entirely intact but was too far offshore to tow back, so they brought in a ship-mounted crane from the Morehead City port (generally the closest port to the landing areas) to scrap it where it was.

Other than that, I don't even remember when the last droneship landing failure was. Two Falcon Heavy center cores missed but those involved the first two flights ever of Falcon Heavy and it was questionable if they'd be able to land them. The third Falcon Heavy center core landed successfully, but unfortunately the "roomba" robot carried on the drone ship to come out and anchor the booster to the deck hadn't yet been fitted to be compatible with Falcon Heavy, and it fell over in rough seas. They made some limited edition souvenirs for employees out of the landing legs and lower engine/fuel line section that was left on the deck after the rest broke off and fell off the platform.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-23, 10:56

Yeah, there will be mishaps, but they are becoming rare.
Quagmire
meh

2020-08-02, 15:13

And DM-2 has come to a close. Dragon has splashed down, recovered onto Go Navigator, hatch opened, and Bob and Doug have come out of Endeavour.

giggity
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-08-02, 18:26

They had a bunch of Florida Man fishing boats getting up close too. NASA had apparently only requested one CG cutter for the entire landing zone and one CG helicopter to bring the crew back from the recovery ship after the fact.
Quagmire
meh

2020-08-02, 18:44

Quote:
They had a bunch of Florida Man fishing boats getting up close too. NASA had apparently only requested one CG cutter for the entire landing zone and one CG helicopter to bring the crew back from the recovery ship after the fact.
Yep major fail there. But that seems to be the biggest glitch for the whole mission. Just a lack of imagination that wouldn’t happen when they were close to shore.

EDIT: Coast Guard: 12 boats is enough to overwhelm us. https://twitter.com/MilesDoran/statu...087424/photo/1

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2020-08-02 at 20:04.
Quagmire
meh

2020-08-05, 13:55

Last year SpaceX got a water tank to fly. This year a grain silo takes flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1HA9LlFNM0
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-05, 15:08

I saw that. Super cool. Looks just funny as hell, but glad they made it happen.

And this while they're launching rockets, like, every twelve seconds!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-08-05, 22:29

And that was with a SINGLE Raptor engine that wasn't attached on the centerline because the engine mount is meant for three, in a tri-config like the Shuttle's main engines were. Just wait until they get to the three-engine high altitude flights...
Quagmire
meh

2020-08-05, 22:37

Quote:
And that was with a SINGLE Raptor engine that wasn't attached on the centerline because the engine mount is meant for three, in a tri-config like the Shuttle's main engines were. Just wait until they get to the three-engine high altitude flights...
I’m looking forward to seeing 31 Raptors going with Super Heavy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-06, 11:42

Quote:
Ah! That explains the off-balance crazy. And I thought they were having stabilization issues.

How awesome is that?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-04, 11:15

SpaceX is such a funny company. I'm watching this video and it's so funny that they have all these random projects just scattered all over the ground. Like, they're building prototype rockets outside with crap littered all over the place. And then they're launching this crazy metal can into the air and the rocket blast is blowing debris all over their projects.

And these are the guys that are having all this success and are gonna send some suckers to Mars.

What.

The.

Hell?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-09-04, 19:41

The launch and testing area is actually a mile or two from the manufacturing area, so the actual fabrication and assembly doesn't get blasted. The only thing being built actively in that area is a new, much beefier launch mount since they're getting ready to start prototype on the Superheavy booster (and also probably tired of having to rebuild the erector-set ones that Starships break on every test, lol)

Meanwhile, on my Mini's bookmarks in Safari, I found this link from 2008 where a lucky dude got the mother of all Space Shuttle behind the scenes tours, LOTS of photos in this thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...lots-pics.html
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-05, 09:48

Quote:
The launch and testing area is actually a mile or two from the manufacturing area, …
Yeah, still! It looks very unsanitary from our viewing angle.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-09, 16:21

This is a great, sped-up video of the launch and landing of a Falcon 9 booster.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-09, 21:00

Man, that is still amazing to watch.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-09-10, 09:20

What are those bits you can see spinning away at around 43s and 50s?
Quagmire
meh

2020-09-10, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
What are those bits you can see spinning away at around 43s and 50s?
Frozen gas from RCS and vent ports.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-09-10, 09:55

Aha. I assume they will eventually sublime away, so not cause a "space junk" issue?
Quagmire
meh

2020-09-10, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Aha. I assume they will eventually sublime away, so not cause a "space junk" issue?
Since the booster wasn’t near orbital velocity, the frozen gas wouldn’t stay up there to be a space junk issue.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-10, 11:00

So, it's rocket poop?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-10, 12:34

I was actually wondering the same thing but forgot to ask.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-16, 23:28

I was struck all emotional-like a few minutes ago while watching the Space-X Dragon capsule dock with the International Space Station.

No, not because this represents a new chapter in enterprise space travel, but because I saw the Baby Yoda doll floating around the cabin.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-17, 02:54

I saw that too.

The way this is.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-17, 10:49

I totally missed that. I read about it, but need to find the video of it so I can see it. I think it is really cool that they manage to do something like this going into space. I mean, it used to be all business.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-17, 11:16

I remember back in the early 80's, those first several space shuttle missions, I'd see footage of them on Good Morning America playing funny songs from Mission Control to wake the astronauts up. I always thought stuff like that was so cool. Everything just went right and I was so into all that (following the launch, missions, watching the landings live on CNN or whatever, etc.).

And then 1986 happened.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-17 at 11:54.