no, "and one more thing" ??
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-28, 13:45

sadness

oh well...which tuesday do the new iMac get announced? i pick the 6th

g

developers got a copy of tiger preview?? now tiger isn't coming for almost a year, how much is there to preview?? and if it is almost done enough for a good preview, why the long wait till its release?

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2004-06-28 at 14:58.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 13:58

I was hoping for 'oh wait, one more ...',too.
But with all those new features in Tiger, I'm not disappointed (just hope that 1st half means sometime around Feb.).

...and now we can talk about those new G5 iMacs waiting to be released next week.
jph

but wait, tomorrow is tuesday
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:04

I'm guessing no new iMacs for a while. Closer to the fall. Beginning of August, even late August is an option. But Apple would be stupid to not get those things out the door before back to school time.

Come waste your time with me
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:04

Well, I for one am pissed at the lack of new iMacs. Do we have to wait till MacWorld Paris now? Or MacWorld SF in Jan. 2005? By then it will have been almost a year and a half since the last iMac update. That's pretty bad, even for Apple.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
Well, I for one am pissed at the lack of new iMacs. Do we have to wait till MacWorld Paris now? Or MacWorld SF in Jan. 2005? By then it will have been almost a year and a half since the last iMac update. That's pretty bad, even for Apple.
I remember hearing something about an announcement on July 6. That seems silly though to wait until then and not announce anything today.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrein
I remember hearing something about an announcement on July 6. That seems silly though to wait until then and not announce anything today.
Maybe they thought this is not the right place to introduce a consumer machine. But...if the iMac goes G5, I would expect slightly more than just a silent update. In fact, I would expect a special event of some sort....

jph
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:38

That's what I was thinking too. Introducing a new form factor with a new chip isn't something that we'll wake up to on a Tuesday morning to see on apple.com. That's way to big of a deal to keep so low key.

Come waste your time with me
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-28, 14:40

Well, Think Secret was absolutely right about no iMac G5 at WWDC.

The big question now is whether we'll have to wait a short couple of weeks, or until something like November. I'm still hoping for a headless iMac G5. But I just ordered myself a BTO 12-inch PowerBook (finally!), so new hardware won't matter to me for the next two or three years.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 14:41

By the way, are these displays suitable for wall-mounting? There's this adapter thing at the Apple store...no pics though.

jph
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:41

One way or another, I have to think that it is coming very soon. The need for an iMac update is clear. I can't imagine that they will not deliver.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-28, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
developers got a copy of tiger preview?? now tiger isn't coming for almost a year, how much is there to preview?? and if it is almost done enough for a good preview, why the long wait till its release?
developers act like beta-testers (or perhaps more technically correct: alpha-testers). and they pay a hefty fee in adc membership, so they gotta get something. bug reports from the tech savvy tend to be more useful than when the general public gets it and say things like "internet doesn't work." a geek in the know wouldn't have to be told to send the exact error message and/or error log.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 14:48

Well, very short supply for the iMac, last updated ages ago - all this points to....well, today. But since we know it did not happen during the keynote, what's the next possible date? Boston (not likely)? Paris seems too late though.....
Another thing, if it stays G4, then why didn't they update to 1.5 GHz when the Powerbooks were released?
I might repeat myself but it's confusing to say the least...

jph

[edit: spelling]
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-28, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1971
By the way, are these displays suitable for wall-mounting? There's this adapter thing at the Apple store...no pics though.
Yup. Jobs said so during the keynote. All 3 of the new displays feature an industry-standard VESA mount. VESA mounts are available for all kinds of situations, from wall mounting to multiple-monitor setups.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
Yup. Jobs said so during the keynote. All 3 of the new displays feature an industry-standard VESA mount. VESA mounts are available for all kinds of situations, from wall mounting to multiple-monitor setups.

Escher
Thanks for the info!

Now the 30" Al-monster makes even more sense

jph
MacUsers

2004-06-28, 15:21

Something like this... (the mount)

Beh.. you guys eat too much bandwidth.

Last edited by MacUsers : 2004-06-28 at 15:57.
jph1971

2004-06-28, 15:34

By the way, seems that this round goes to Thinksecret...

jph
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 16:08

Quote:
Well, Think Secret was absolutely right about no iMac G5 at WWDC.

The big question now is whether we'll have to wait a short couple of weeks, or until something like November. I'm still hoping for a headless iMac G5. But I just ordered myself a BTO 12-inch PowerBook (finally!), so new hardware won't matter to me for the next two or three years.

Escher
I'm still holding out hope for a headless machine (at least as an option). It seems especially with the headless possibility and the (still) premium prices on the new monitors, that maybe we might see an i-level line of monitors. These gargantuan monitors seem to be too large to continue as Apple's only monitor offering.

Escher: Nice to see you over here. Are you planning on straddling the fence or coming over to AppleNova completely?

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 16:19

Quote:
I'm still holding out hope for a headless machine (at least as an option). It seems especially with the headless possibility and the (still) premium prices on the new monitors, that maybe we might see an i-level line of monitors. These gargantuan monitors seem to be too large to continue as Apple's only monitor offering.

Escher: Nice to see you over here. Are you planning on straddling the fence or coming over to AppleNova completely?
I agree with you on the monitors, I don't get why we can't have a 17" or 15" for the rest of us. I mean really, who wants to spend $1300 for a second monitor for their PowerBook.

Although two of the twenty inchers will look nice with the Aluminium cased PC (dust collector) I keep in the kids room.

Mile 1
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-28, 18:42

Quote:
I'm straddling the fence right now. But I'm going to drop off the face of the earth again for the next month while I prepare for the bar exam at the end of July. We'll see whether I stick with .COM, AN, both, or none in August. A little bit of both is the most likely outcome.

Escher

ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-06-28, 20:37

Damnit.lol I love it when he says that... I have yet to see the show... *burns down his school*
Mandricard

2004-06-28, 21:12

I am with you all... What a disappointment.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 21:24

Quote:
I'm straddling the fence right now. But I'm going to drop off the face of the earth again for the next month while I prepare for the bar exam at the end of July. We'll see whether I stick with .COM, AN, both, or none in August. A little bit of both is the most likely outcome.

Escher
good Luck on the Bar Exam.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-28, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandricard
I am with you all... What a disappointment.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Mandricard, what a pleasure to see you poke your nose in here! The Swiss in me wants to stay neutral, not pick sides, and be friends with everyone. So I'm splitting my time between AI and AN. But the days of long hours spent debating in Mac fora will probably be over as soon as I can find a serious job later this year and have to rearrange my priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
good Luck on the Bar Exam.
Thanks, oldmacfan. Every little bit helps.

I'll probably drop by again to gloat a bit when my 12-inch PB arrives. And then I'll see everyone again in August.

I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams of headless iMac G5s, everyone.

Escher

sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 02:30

I've got to say that now having watched the keynote I feel much more positive about Tiger, et al. Seeing the demos really helped me see how these technologies might be useful to me (and they definitely will). Spotlight, Automator and the new iChat features really look awesome.

I think Apple may be underestimating the positive power of having these keynotes broadcast w/ video. And crap, they've got a cool new codec to do it with...

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 02:34

Quote:

Escher
Yeah, I dunno about AI either. I do get the increasing feeling that there are mostly immature teenagers on the other side of the screen over there. I'd at least like to discuss all things Apple with immature adults... or maybe the occasional mature teenager.

- Steve Jobs
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-29, 07:18

Quote:
I'd at least like to discuss all things Apple with immature adults... or maybe the occasional mature teenager.
sunrein: That's an interesting way to characterize AI, but it's not completely off the mark (i.e. it's right on). I guess life works that way. You get older, more mature. You grow up and move on. Other, less mature individuals fill the vacuum. Just think how the Internet has eveloved over the last ten years, and compare that how you (or any other individual) has....

Times are a changin', and we are changing with them. Nobody knows what the futrue holds, but the future is in our very own hands. Let's make something good of it, at AI, here, or -- most importantly -- offline.

Escher, nostalgic

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-06-29, 10:19

BTW, the "one more thing" was the 30'' LCD.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-29, 11:23

Do those displays look better from the back, or is it just me? They look awesome from the rear OR from a 3/4 side view. From straight on, they bug me somehow. Like they're on the verge of toppling over?

Yes, Steve did his "one more thing" in the middle of the show this time.

I'm going to be curious to see the system requirements for Tiger. By the time it hits the street (and since it IS Apple we're talking about, I can't help but think "first half of 2005" = "June 30, 2005"), it's probably safe to assume two more products will be sporting G5s (iMac and PowerBook), leaving the iBook and eMac on G4s. Do you think Apple might draw a "no G3" line in the sand with Tiger?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-29, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Do you think Apple might draw a "no G3" line in the sand with Tiger?

No. If they cut off G3 support, they may as well cut off support for all Macs powered by the 7400 processor, since it's basically a G3 with Altivec. Later G4s, in the 7450 series, are a bit different, but there is nothing really separating the G3 from the older G4s. Also, it wouldn't make sense to have it available on 350 MHz G4s, but not on 1 GHz G3s. You can guess which one is faster.

In fact, I think it'll be a long time before they cut off support for older Macs. Jaguar dropped support for pre-G3 hardware, while Panther doesn't support Macs with OldWorld ROMs. Macs with newer ROMs are all similar enough (barring their more trivial specifications, like processor speed and RAM limit) that there's little point in cutting off some of them. I guess they could say "No Tiger on Macs without built-in Firewire," but why? A tray-loading iMac or a clamshell iBook will still run OS X, albeit slowly. But there's no real good cut-off point until you get into the G4-G5 barrier. And Apple won't hit that for years.