User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

trouble with 30GB ipod photo

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
trouble with 30GB ipod photo
kaupena

2005-04-11, 11:50

I just got this ipod, and unlike my old one it seems to have a VERY testy pause button. Sometimes I don't even have to touch the button at all, just shift the ipod and the music pauses. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or if I should take it in to have somebody look at it.

Thanks!
thedustin

2005-04-14, 01:34

yeah, just got a 60 and it pauses non-stop while the hold button is on, after it has been in my pocket. It does it after 2 seconds all the way to five minutes. Totally random. Pisses me off.
kaupena

2005-04-15, 09:07

Does anybody know if this is a software issue, or if this is an issue with the click-wheel itself? I'm wondering if I should take mine in to apple for service.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-15, 09:29

I'd definitely recommend having an Apple employee look at that.
kaseyha

2005-04-15, 13:04

Is it possible that the miniplug for your earphones is loose? If the ipod detects, or thinks it detects, that your earphones have become unplugged, it automatically pauses...
SledgeHammer

2005-04-15, 13:23

Really? When was that feature introduced?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-04-15, 13:33

My 4G one does it, so at least since then.
thedustin

2005-04-15, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyha
Is it possible that the miniplug for your earphones is loose? If the ipod detects, or thinks it detects, that your earphones have become unplugged, it automatically pauses...
It's true and the stupidestsstsds thing I have ever heard. It is all over the apple iPod forums and people want it to be user selectable. it is kind of a good idea, but if the iPod is on HOLD, it should do just that, HOLD. Anyway, An update is coming shortly, I'm sure.
macgeek2004

2005-04-15, 20:07

I can see where problems like these are going. It's gonna be the same story as everything. The Newer something is, the less sturdy it is.

My dad has 2 Macintosh SE/30's that have been running non-stop for 15 years. They've been taken to fixers sometimes, but no parts were ever replaced.

The 1st, to 4th Generation iPods, are gonna probably be the sturdiest, longer lasting ipods, and all the newer ones that are coming, are gonna be so complicated that they'll have lots of problems.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-04-15, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
I can see where problems like these are going. It's gonna be the same story as everything. The Newer something is, the less sturdy it is.

My dad has 2 Macintosh SE/30's that have been running non-stop for 15 years. They've been taken to fixers sometimes, but no parts were ever replaced.

The 1st, to 4th Generation iPods, are gonna probably be the sturdiest, longer lasting ipods, and all the newer ones that are coming, are gonna be so complicated that they'll have lots of problems.
Not necessarily. Pretty much every desktop made by Apple has been pretty solid. I've seen original iMacs still running perfectly fine, and my Powerbook seems as though it'll last a long time. Just because something is new doesn't mean it can't be well designed - it only seems so because of all the cheap plastic stuff on the market right now.

Sledgehammer: It's a 4G iPod feature. It seems like a good feature - if you have to unplug your earbuds to untangle the cables or switch headphones, it will pause, which means that you don't miss any music. This problem doesn't seem too good, though.
pv2b

2005-06-14, 11:27

*Bump*.

I can confirm that this bug still exists with new iPod Photos. I bought a new iPod Photo a few days ago, and I've got the exact same pausing issue due to the iPod misdetecting the headphones being unplugged.

There are a lot of threads over at the Apple discussion forums with this exact bug. What really annoys me is that the reseller I bought the iPod from won't accept an exchange for a new iPod, even if the problem was there on the iPod to start with! They want to send it in for repair. There's no way in hell I'm sending a brand new iPod in for repair, I want my money back, or the iPod replaced with a new one. Anyway, I'm never going to shop at that Apple reseller again.

However, the real culprit here isn't a slight imperfection in the headphone jack causing the iPod to pause randomly, it's that the damn firmware in the iPod includes this over-sensitive non-disablable feature. I'm sure a lot of people out there have iPod Photos that are fine now, but will probably develop this same bug in a few months or even a year.

Until Apple releases a new firmware which disables this stupid feature, I'm going to show my disgust at this feature simply by doing this whenever I use my iPod:

It seems to stop the problem occuring with my iPod Photo, and it still is ugly enough to make the point. It also doesn't really impair the operation of the iPod, all the controls are still accessible, except that the middle of the screen is obscured, obviously.

The iPod is apparently marketed for portable and active usage. Headphone contacts do wiggle a little as a natural consequence, that shouldn't cause the iPod to pause!
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-06-15, 00:39

where's the bug? i think this is a feature. lol. i think it's awesome that the iPod pauses when the headphones are disconnected.
shatteringglass

2005-06-15, 01:59

But it can be a total pain in the ass when that feature is overly sensitive, with the iPod thinking that you unplugged your headphones when you clearly did not, causing your iPod to pause unnecessarily.

Did you even read this thread? Pay attention.