Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

WWDC '05 POST- AFTER- APRÉ- keynote discussion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WWDC '05 POST- AFTER- APRÉ- keynote discussion
Page 2 of 8 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
firlgriend

2005-06-06, 13:30

i'm disappointed too. So no new hardware? No new toys AT ALL?
JonnyT

apple has the cash in its coffers to ride out the storm (so it is all the ipod's fault). it not now, then when?
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  

As a fan, I don't like this. My Macs have always held a special place b/c they were completely different.

As a "programmer" I guess it's good, Intel is porting all their development tools for the MacOS. Plus the Intel-box isn't a bad price, I'd need to know more specs though. Looks like Apple is subsidizing them large.

But this completely f's up all my schedules, planning, and budgets... I'm going to spend weeks just re-working things now.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

Steve is gunning for Bill and I thought OS X Dev was going to "slow down" after Tiger was released. Did he not say 10.5 in 2007?
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 

Well it's official, and I still think it's a bunch of crap! When did the marketing department take over at Apple? I feel dirty...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-06, 13:31

kretarta, remember it's about the OS and not the processors. Personally, I couldn't care less except for the fact that the current line of computers look to be on the slow march to the gas chamber.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Well Apple better hope that iPod sales continue to sky rocket or we're in for a painful two years.

Anyone here gonna buy a G5 now? Is anyone really thinking of investing in PPC now that Apple has declared it a dead platform?

I'm sure my opinion will change after I've gotten my dosage of RDF, but Mac sales are going to dry up real quick.
Probably the same people that wouldn't buy a Rev.A iMac G5 because of the 'crippled' video card. Apple has over a hundred retail stores to pimp their wares and to the average consumer, knowing that they are in bed with Intel will only make them feel better about the platform.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-06-06, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
When did the marketing department take over at Apple?
With the Mini. More style than substance.
firlgriend

2005-06-06, 13:33

I'm also disappointed. So that's it, no new hardware? No new toys?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 13:34

How are the various stocks handling this news?
autodata
hustlin

2005-06-06, 13:34

Damn. I need a new powerbook asap. Now I'm either going to have to buy a low-end ibook to hold me over or just, gasp, temporarily depend solely on the pc laptop I'll be getting at the end of the summer.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-06, 13:36

Stocks don't look like they've reacted much.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-06-06, 13:36

What's really amusing right now is the two kinds of handwringing...

OMG Intel SuX, I'm so glad I still have a PPC Mac

and

OMG I can't buy a new Mac for a year because it will be PPC
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-06-06, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
kretarta, remember it's about the OS and not the processors. Personally, I couldn't care less except for the fact that the current line of computers look to be on the slow march to the gas chamber.
It is about the OS, but why spend money on a dead computer lineup?
And, there is no way that I'll be buying the first or second generation of an intel/apple. I will not be used as a product tester.

Another big reason (that belongs in a different thread) is the lack of service. I work for a good size University but when I have a problem with a Mac, Apple is very slow to respond. I just had a 250gb HD go bad and Apple wants me to give them a CC number in order to be shipped a new HD. Um....thats just wrong. Plus, they tell me it could take a few weeks to get the HD. BULLSHIT!!!

We call up Dell and they say, no problem, it will be in the mail tomorrow OR someone will be there within 24 hours to fix it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-06-06, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
As a fan, I don't like this. My Macs have always held a special place b/c they were completely different.
Well, look at it this way: everyone else is going to IBM for its console processors, so when the "beige" PC market shrivels from the heat of these game consoles, Intel will be the alternative!
ironlung

2005-06-06, 13:38

heh i agree FFL. Im glad i switched... my pbook will be fine for me for the next few years until apple works its kinks out..
worktop

2005-06-06, 13:40

I recently replaced my old Mac with an iBook, while waiting for the mythical G5 PowerBook. Looks like that isn't going to happen now, eh?

Does that mean when Apple finally starts advertising Macs again (instead of iPods) that we'll have that godawful Intel jingle on it? Argh!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-06, 13:40

Will someone *please* explain to me what this means????

I'm completely confused because I was told that x86 is essentially an outdated architerture designed for a calculator and is being stretched to limits? That PPC are making its way into gaming consoles (presumably a measure of performance under stress?)? That Intel and AMD has hit a wall? That Power chip has been able to do some stuff *better*?

What the fuck is going on now?
autodata
hustlin

2005-06-06, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
it's because some of us won't want to be using a ppc laptop in mid to late 2007 if the new ones have been out for a year at that time.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 13:43

FFL,

There is also the legitimate hang wringing of those who were just about to buy a computer, but have doubts about buying a technology that is just about to be superseded (if not abandoned – I don’t buy all of the assurances), but don’t want to wait a year or two (or three) before buying a new Apple.

Damn. Maybe most folks won’t know or care, but for me, this may be where I part ways with Apple. Maybe I’ll come back in 3-4 years, if they are still a computer company then. Damn.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-06, 13:44

Also, are the X86 chips 64 bit? I thought they were not ... seems like Apple is really making their developers jump through some hoops.

What about the benefits of dual processors and the ability to access up to 8GB of RAM ... will this still hold true for Intel machines?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
TheWart

2005-06-06, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Count me as 'disappointed'. I was fully committed to buying a new iMac in September. I am having substantial doubts now. I am sure that I am not the only buyer who feels that way.

I would be interested in hearing more of anything 'solid' concerning Apple's motivation for this switch. Was it mostly IBM's failure to deliver on G5 updates?

Same here.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-06, 13:46

Chinney - that's pretty bleak ... I'm still plugging away on an old Ti550 - I'm tempted by the Rev B G5 iMac, but now might look for a blow out sale on a dual proc G5 tower. It's all good. No real reason to jump ship.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-06-06, 13:48

Yes, There are 64bit intel chips.

And don't worry, you are not going to have to go and buy a crappy "PC". I am 99% sure that Apple will continue to make great machines. Be honest, if they release a machine in late 2006 / 2007 that is as good build quality as the G5 but with two intel chips (5Ghz ) are you gonna buy it?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-06-06, 13:49

I feel sick... but try to be optimistic.

Steve scared the hell out of me today... but most of the time that means great things for Apple. F*ck SCSI, hello USB... F*ck PowerPC, hello Intel... Hello All the Games for Mac & Windows, Hello Cheaper Machines, Hello faster Notebook, Hello Sony... hello O, HELL.

It's now or never for Apple... so let's take the ride FCS.
TheWart

2005-06-06, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle

And don't worry, you are not going to have to go and buy a crappy "PC". I am 99% sure that Apple will continue to make great machines. Be honest, if they release a machine in late 2006 / 2007 that is as good build quality as the G5 but with two intel chips (5Ghz ) are you gonna buy it?

I am not saying people won't. I think that it is between now and then that there are serious problems. Sure, some of them may be purely pyschological (like buying a "dying" architecture, etc), but they are nonetheless real issues that will bite Apple hard in the pocketbook imo.

It would have been a whole diff ballgame if they had pushed up the timetable a number of months imo.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-06, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle

Sounds good, but I'm still confused because I thought x86 is dead and that Intel/AMD/others were looking for ways to move away from the status quo....

Would it be a "3ghz G5 by next year" fiasco all again?
Dr. Simon Van Gelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Well it's official, and I still think it's a bunch of crap! When did the marketing department take over at Apple? I feel dirty...
When Moto (Freescale) and IBM couldn't or wouldn't deliver on their promises.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
What's really amusing right now is the two kinds of handwringing...

OMG Intel SuX, I'm so glad I still have a PPC Mac

and

Totally.

Is anything TRULY going to change for any of us here? Honestly? I can't see how. Buy what you need now, enjoy it (and enjoy it for years to come), and STFU.

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 13:52

Naw, this is there enjoyment time..