AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 17:37

Here's to another great year that I'm full of things to be thankful for! I'm really hoping you all have had a great year and are able to enjoy your holiday weekend!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-11-23, 20:23

Happy end of November holiday. Remember America, nothing in the stores tomorrow is worth getting killed for.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-23, 21:15

Yeah, they're not listening. The very people who need to hear that most, aren't gonna listen/heed the advice, and be the ones getting killed/doing the killing. By tomorrow evening, there will be a few heartbreaking, infuriating stories about crazy behavior over some $11 Amazon Fire Sticks or some nonsense. Every year, it happens. No, I don't understand it either. But, every single year, there are local new stories of gunplay, fistfights, assaults, screaming matches and people generally acting like low-rent, low-information reality show boneheads. Nobody I know/care about does "Black Friday" due to the known moron presence, so I'm just gonna hang around, play guitar, munch on leftovers and take it easy and not play. It's the only winning move.

I had a really nice day. Very low-key, laidback, compared to previous Thanksgiving outings. Went to my Mom's around 1pm for a casual lunch with her, my uncle and cousin. Then down to my Dad and stepmom's in Georgia for a bit more crowded, traditional fare gathering. My dad makes the best turkey. In fact, it's the only one I eat, because of how he seasons/cooks it. It actually tastes like something, vs. bland cardboard, which is every other turkey.

And he makes a great Pina colada(?) cake with coconut and cherries on top that is so good it should be illegal.

In fact, I just got home, pleasantly stuffed, some leftovers from both places to munch on tomorrow and I'm going to feed Jasper some turkey (of course) Fancy Feast and climb into bed in the next 15-20. I hope everyone had a good day.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-11-23 at 21:37.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 21:17

I'm sitting here with Mrs T right now going through our online ordering for BF. No way we are going to hit the stores in the morning. Just not gonna happen. I hated BF before I ever worked retail, then I worked retail and hated it all the more. Panera bagels by my manager did not properly compensate me for having to deal with Office Depot customers who were mad they didn't get that flash drive because we ran out!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-24, 11:49

Well, here we go...right on schedule.

New Jersey mall evacuated after a called-in bomb threat.

Two things:

1. Someone calling in/notifying of a bomb automatically makes me doubt it. A true terrorist/psycho/cretin/troublemaker wouldn't want to give a warning/alert and would rather the thing go off in a crowded mall, doing as much damage/carnage as possible, right? Has any called-in "threat" ever turned out to be legit? I don't know. It's like people who threaten suicide. It's a plea for help (or maybe attention in some cases, especially those doing so via social media). People who are truly serious about it will just do it, without all the attention, fuss and attempts to dissuade them, right? You have to know if you put that out into the world, someone, or several someones - up to and including S.W.A.T. - are gonna come banging on your door soon, and ringing your phone off the hook. Announcing your intentions - bombs in malls, offing yourself, etc. - often means the exact opposite. I'm betting every "successful" suicide was out of nowhere, and friends/family heard about it via third party (law enforcement, etc.) and it was probably a legit shock/surprise to many/most.

2. Do people not know how phones work, and that law enforcement has the ability to track such things and always - ALWAYS - tracks down where the call was made from, landline or otherwise. Even if you did so from some random payphone nowhere close to where you actually live, there are now street cameras in all sorts of places, they can get prints off the phone, or even the quarters inside, etc. Probably DNA you're not even thinking about. What idiot thinks they're going to get away with calling in such a thing in 2023? They'll have this doof in cuffs by sundown, I'm guessing. If not already. But see #1 above. I doubt they'll find a bomb, although I certainly understand why they have to take such things seriously and act on it as though it's true/possible. Because the one time they didn't, and half the joint blew up killing dozens, if not hundreds, of innocent shoppers, heads are gonna roll at the local P.D./FBI offices and city hall, and the city will have it's eyes sued out by surviving family members once word got out that a threat was phone in but ignored/not acted on.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-11-24 at 12:07.
latespecial

2023-12-12, 21:08

A year-end event kicks off. I'm looking forward to discounts from ebay and amazon.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-12, 21:19

Wow, you are late. Get stuck in Toledo?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-12-13, 11:44

Keep your eyes on this guy. They celebrate Thanksgiving a bit late in Toledo.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-13, 12:52

Man, Toledo really takes it on the chin here. What did that fine city ever do to anyone?

At least we're not using Chattanooga for spammer shorthand...

I suspect Drew is somehow involved.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-12-13, 12:55

Drew is involved in everything weird that happens around here.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-12-13, 15:48

He’s using ChatGTP while drunk now, with a different account. Surely.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-12-13, 20:04

Oh Ye of little faith.

The Federal Internet Commission has this posted on its website:

"The term "Toledo" became a code to identify message board spammers due to its random and non-contextual nature. When moderators or systems encountered a flood of spam, using a word like "Toledo" as a placeholder or marker helped differentiate legitimate content from spam, making it easier to filter or remove those unwanted messages without accidentally deleting genuine ones. Its use as a default term grew out of the need for a consistent, neutral identifier in various forums and platforms, and because it is where President Gore was when he invented the Internex, an early precursor to the Internet."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Gore
“In the future, the Internex will revolutionize communication, creating a paper-full society where fax machines will be the cornerstone of interactions, igniting exciting new possibilities for the timber industry.”

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-12-13, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh Ye of little faith.

"The term "Toledo" became a code to identify message board spammers due to its random and non-contextual nature. When moderators or systems encountered a flood of spam, using a word like "Toledo" as a placeholder or marker helped differentiate legitimate content from spam, making it easier to filter or remove those unwanted messages without accidentally deleting genuine ones. Its use as a default term grew out of the need for a consistent, neutral identifier in various forums and platforms, and because it is where President Gore was when he invented the Internex, an early precursor to the Internet."

The AI has scanned this post. The next bot will call it's account, Toledo, just to be safe.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-14, 08:01

Which Toledo: Spanish or American?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-12-14, 08:19

Toledo Ohio, nowhere else is so desolate and trollish.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-14, 08:36

I’m always looking for a random road trip or new place to see. I need to check Ohio off my “states I’ve been to” list. Why not? An ANer prowling the streets of Toledo would be a chuckle. Probably too cold to fool with right now. Maybe in the spring once things warm up and turn green? According to Apple Maps, it’s just a short 7:51 drive from here. I’ve driven farther than that just to see/smell the ocean and have some seafood.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-14, 09:27

I'm not this pedantic, at least I hope not, in that I didn't know this off the top of my head, though I guess I'm weird-bored-random enough to have looked up "Holy Toledo", which according to one theory on the interwebs has to do with the confluence of Islamic, Jewish and Christian places of worship in the Spanish town circa sometime in a history class I didn't pay enough attention in...

If it's really about ambiguous religious claims, could hardly be a better descriptor for spamming a board ...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-14, 09:49

My only knowledge/reference/memory of the phrase is from Klinger on M*A*S*H*. He often used it as an exclamation, the way a pre-schooler/toddler in 2023 would yell "yo, what the fuck?!? on their Instagram/TikTok.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-12-14, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
My only knowledge/reference/memory of the phrase is from Klinger on M*A*S*H*. He often used it as an exclamation, the way a pre-schooler/toddler in 2023 would yell "yo, what the fuck?!? on their Instagram/TikTok.
I was about to say.

The actor who played Klinger was actually from Toledo. All his references to it on the show are real and from his own life.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-14, 11:54

Yeah, I saw that a while ago, reading up on Jamie Farr.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-12-14, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh Ye of little faith.

I think you made that up …

Are you a bot?