MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 3 of 21 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-15, 21:20

Also, 1.5 should come out next week. Bullet points include:

Weather! Snow, rain, lightning. Expect more mob action during the days... And possibly all your buildings burning down. Woo.

Booster and brake minecart tracks. No more kludges with doors and extra carts. No word on if the laggyness will go away, though, so there still may be disapproval from the server admins.... If not, mass transit, here we come!

Stats and achievements.

So many new toys!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-15, 21:55

New CPU is in! Pics to allow you to be a part of the change.

It was fun!

Burning in now....thought you might like the update though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-15, 22:05

You fool! You forgot to install the speed holes!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-15, 22:06

Almost there, guys! I ran both cores solid for a while, and the temp sensors reported it staying comfortably cool. Looking like a successful install! Turtle is tweaking a couple of BIOS settings now, but we should be back up in just a few more minutes.

Also, thanks again T for taking the time out tonight to do this. I'm sure everyone else will appreciate it too!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-15, 22:14

We are live!

Come one come all and see if you can really stress the server. I'm not going to be on, but have fun while I'm hanging out with my Mom who's visiting.

Thank you again to all who donated! It really is appreciated.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-27, 08:58

FYI, Brad, just on the outside chance you may decide to do some map trimming along with the 1.5 update I figured I'd let you know that I've set up shop at the base of the northern desert for sand mining again.

Stupid rink roof ate all my glass.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-29, 19:02

Server down! I'm making the plastics! upgrading to 1.5!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-29, 19:17

And now we're running server beta 1.5_02!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-29, 20:52

And it rained!!!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-30, 01:39

No rain while I was online earlier
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-08, 19:07

Is it worth investigating an SSD for future expansion? Even a small one would be almost as good as the RAMdisk, without the huge cost and terrifying volability, surely? And a 60GB drive woul be less than $100, with more than enough room for lots of world expansion.

Thoughts?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-08, 20:28

I think it would actually work very well. I can still leave the current drive too meaning the backups can be copied over to it. Really, we could go with anything that is SATA II. I have two drive slots so we might even be able to live with a Seagate hybrid drive. More storage than needed there though. A plain SSD would be better IMO.

Tom's Hardware reviews are favorable for this drive, or here if you wanna support AN. Of course, we'd need to throw in something like this IcyDock too.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-09-08 at 20:48.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-08, 22:06

Is there any chance we could get a sense of what the IO requirements on the ramdisk have been when the server was busy? I am not saying the SSD isn't going to be better than a conventional HD, but I am slightly concerned that the order of magnitude hit in IO speed (processor demands be damned since we've got more than enough of that) of the SSD vs RAMdisk may actually bring us closer to the HD experience of before -- ie an almost unusable shit storm (ah the good old days).
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-08, 22:20

Really, it comes down to random-access timing rather than throughput speed; it's the fact that a HDD drive head is having to jump all over the place to load chunks when you've got people all over the map. Even if an SSD isn't as fast throughput-wise as RAM, you eliminate the drive head as a bottleneck. Of course, you'd want to go with a drive/controller combo that can handle lots of IOPS, and that won't experience degrading performance over time (i.e., go with a SandForce drive).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-08, 22:42

I'll try hooking up iostat or sar some time this weekend. Though, it'll only give useful information if several players are on at the same time, putting proper IO load on the system.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-08, 23:08

You know, weather wands and TNT are a great way get a good IO load going
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 00:18

Wondering, so I'm running a stock MC server on Beast for my family to use the pre-release and had me thinking about if it handles the server better than Lenny does. Sure it's an i7 920 over clocked to 3.3GHz with 6GB of RAM and running on the SSD... but it has the Mac OS has Grand Central Dispatch (Beast is still 10.6). Would that handle Java better across cores? Just wondering because I'll hack up Lenny if it means he can run both cores for the game.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-24, 16:09

Threw in some SSD monies. I like exploring.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-24, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Mac OS has Grand Central Dispatch (Beast is still 10.6). Would that handle Java better across cores?
Nope.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-25, 15:53

What do you guys think about getting something like this to put the Server at SATA III?

Brad, my thought would be leave the boot OS on current drive but run the game off of the SSD completely. Do the backups to the HDD as they currently are. This would minimize file moving and keep the world on the fastest location. Thoughts?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-25, 19:14

WOW! $0.37 off!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-26, 18:59

I bring good tidings of great cheer!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-26, 20:22

So I'm going to have to work with Brad on the exact timing of getting the server running the new drive. While I can get the drive in and move the files over, the scripts are still going to have it load into RAM instead.

On that note, when's the best time to take down the server for everyone? In game Brad and I talked about Sunday night. Everyone good with this?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-27, 16:38

We are up and running on the new SSD! Thank you to all of you who gave. I will post the list later.

Before

After

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-22, 17:54

So see, there's all these bad guys trying to get into my stuff and I'm tired of going through all these log pages and such. My router has to be rebooted once a month or so at the least. I'm kinda ready to move on from this.

So I'm building a router now and will need to put it in place in the near future. This might bring some extended down time during the configuration.

My plan is to build it and do most of the configuration on my bench in a mock network. Then after everything is mapped and ready, replace the router with my new one. This should theoretically make the down time just a short period.

However this might not go as planned and might result in longer than normal outages while it's ironed out and configured. I might just make this happen tomorrow night, but not sure. My plan is to minimize the time the game is missed by all. I really want it done before the newest world drops.

Either way, consider this a warning that it's coming and I'll post before the actual start of work.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-24, 22:34

So, the switch is imminent. Finishing up the port forwarding settings now. Have a few more things to do before I feel it's ready for production. You know, things like blocking China, Russia, Nigeria...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-25, 22:19

So right now Lenny is the only thing on the outside of my new router and all is well. I'm going to pull the plug and make the switch in the very near future. I will be sure no one is online in the game when that time comes.

Brad, port is the same but internal IP is different. Shouldn't be an issue, but just an FYI.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-25, 22:46

No one is on now.....

Switching!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-25, 23:21

*twitch* *twitch*

Everything going OK? When you're back online, I have an updated plugin to install.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-02-25, 23:22

Heh, I was about to post the same thing. Server is showing up as unreachable.