User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 7 of 14 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-04-04, 21:03

Right. Thanks T, I think I have it worked out now.

What a strange beast this MF. Plus, holy shit. UU creation is about as slow as anything. I guess it makes sense since it's so valuable, but still.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-04-05, 23:42

Whelp, it works. Cobble to iron!! It's glacier-like, but whatev. Cobble. To. Iron.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-06, 10:34

So there's a note about a new launcher in addition to the new mod pack.

Which, if any, of those is ready for us to install?

Ta!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-06, 10:54

New launcher is fine... The new pack is not...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-07, 14:09

So I've finished switching to Igneous Extruders instead of block breakers. Here is my new setup:

This is 5 Igneous Extruders that dump into a chest in the middle you can't see. I then have a filter pumping those into two recyclers. Then a filter takes the output of those and pumps them into a chest on the far wall. That chest then pumps to the Mass Fabricator.

I love this set up over the breakers because it's quiet. I don't hear the lava meeting the water like I did with the breaker cobblestone generators.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-07, 18:51

What does it DO??
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-07, 19:24

Well, the stuff in the image makes scraps to feed the Mass Fabricator. This makes making UU-Matter faster than the solar alone. You then use the UU-Matter to make stuff in a crafting table.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2013-04-07, 21:38

Your setup probably makes tons more cobble/scrap than mine, but I'm probably the only person that *loves* that hissing sound when the water meets the lava. Feels kind've industrial, and with my setup I honestly wish there were more machines that made hissing and grinding noises. So fun. I'd plant them everywhere just to have a constant din of "production" - even if all they were producing was noise.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-08, 00:47

Hmm... I just used overclockers, energy storage upgrades, and item tesseracts for a similar setup... no tubes though until i needed to store the scrap somewhere...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-08, 08:39

Thanks T, I actually understand more about the machines now that I've built some. But you guys are worlds ahead of me in the practice of setting them up for top efficiency, and such. I just don't have the drive to build things like y'all though - Bruce's place was insane the last time I walked through it. INSANE. And I understand that it's only gotten wilder?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-04-08, 22:54

It's gotten to the point I have no chance of ever exploring it - my computer overheated the last two times I tried to.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-09, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
It's gotten to the point I have no chance of ever exploring it - my computer overheated the last two times I tried to.
LOL!!

I'm afraid to go back. Dellphi told me he normally gets 200fps and that it dropped to 20fps around Bruce's mad experiment. My laptop would asplode if I went near that place now!

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-09, 01:04

I actually do not know what is causing it... After the tanks are filled, I will investigate some possibilities...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-09, 01:07

Hey I just updated my launcher, but not the mod files, and now I can't seem to get in... it seems to hang on the "Logging in..." screen and then I get the "Connection Lost - End of Stream" screen.... and Minecraft is NOT down.

Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-04-09, 16:59

Bruce, it could just be the sheer number of things running. I put 512 solar panels out connected with some machines on SSP and overheated there, too. Methinks I really just need a new computer.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-09, 17:33

Yes, that's why i will wait until the tanks are full before trying to fix the issue...
Lynn Nexus

2013-04-09, 20:05

FFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk

I accidentally downloaded the update to the mod pack and now I can't get on the server. How do I go back?
delphi

2013-04-09, 20:36

There is a pull down menu in the launch GUI that allows one to select the version. It is in-between the Download Server and Private Packs buttons.

Select 5.1.1 and the program will install that version.

Hope that helps
Lynn Nexus

2013-04-09, 21:34

<3 <3 <3 Thank you Delphi!!!!!!!!!! T_T
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-10, 00:08

Yes, thank you Dellphi - that helped me too!

I finished my glass walk through the soon-to-be-scrubbed Nether!!

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-13, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Yes, that's why i will wait until the tanks are full before trying to fix the issue...
And the verdict is: Not anything actionable.

Optifine makes the FPS drop far worse even with the minimal (and I DO mean minimal) settings than the default minecraft graphics. Intriguingly, Optifine does not seem to have an 'edge' effect, which is certainly expected... by that I mean that you would expect the FPS to increase the less of the room you are seeing as you get closer to the edge of it, but with optifine this does not occur.

There may be some improvements with the next update, but who knows...

If your computer gets toasty near my base, I suggest staying away, there's not much I can do unless I destroy the lava chamber and that's not happening... on a side note the lava chamber is filled and needs some minor aesthetic additions but the glory of it should be apparent...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-13, 18:20

Short Version:
I'm not running Optifine, so maybe I'm okay?

Long Version:
I'm not running Optifine because I thought that I had installed it, but it doesn't seem to working and I don't want to look stupid by asking how to make it work, so maybe I'm okay?

Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-04-14, 01:30

Not a problem, Bruce. I can move what was my planned home, and already chose a spot a little further out in the biome. Wondered if maybe it was an OptiFine issue. The same thing started happening in Technopolis once I had it installed and massive things were being done in town. Of course...that makes me wonder if perhaps OptiFine is the culprit of some of the other mods not working optimally.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-14, 02:50

Well, to be fair, RS, the FPS drop really only occurs directly in the chunks around the room. Near your construction site, it has been ok for me...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-14, 09:58

There is more to it. Just an excerpt from the logs:
Code:
2013-04-14 04:10:31 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:11:32 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:12:33 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:13:34 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:14:35 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:15:37 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:16:38 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:17:39 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:18:40 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:19:42 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:20:43 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:21:44 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:22:45 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:23:46 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:24:47 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:25:48 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:26:49 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:27:50 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:28:51 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:29:52 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:30:53 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:31:54 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:32:55 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:33:56 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:34:57 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:35:58 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:36:59 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:38:00 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:39:00 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:40:01 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:41:02 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:42:03 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:43:04 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:44:05 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:45:06 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:46:07 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:47:08 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:48:09 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? 2013-04-14 04:49:10 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
This isn't all OptiFine. Also, there was no one online during this time frame either.
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-14, 12:26

Uh. We are talking about different things, turtle... My frame rate drops are definitely local and have nothing to do with getting info from the server. My computer is old, and its showing.

As for all of that... well I have no idea -- I turned off my world anchors because I don't need them any longer, so it isn't likely to be chunks around my base unless someone added more of them. In fact, all of my machines are off save one, which reminds me... I need to turn it off.

Is there a way to determine if parts of the world are loaded at the time of these errors?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-14, 12:56

Uh. Don't be an ass billybobsky...

Frame rate dropping would have something to do with what's being rendered and that would have an impact when that chunk is loaded on the server too. They are connected to some degree. To show this in the extreme, lets delete the chunk that your having a frame rate drop and with a pristine chunk see if you're still having a drop in frame rate. I'm guessing you won't be if your chunk is the only loaded chunk.

I can check to see if it shows a chunk that is loaded by updating files on the server. This log though is all that is shown. Not a whole lot to go on sadly. Once a minute though and pretty much all the time.

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-14, 13:40

uh. before i wasn't being an ass, now i will be: turtle, your proposed experiment is a bit daft... actually it is more than a bit daft...

of course a pristine chunk wouldn't give me an fps drop, because my computer wouldn't have anything complex to render. the server isn't rendering the chunks, but perhaps you don't understand that. the only way it would be connected to server performance is if the chunk was getting updated a ton and that those updates were being served back and forth. it isn't. the chunk is not dynamic (ie it is not changing). the poor server performance and the error message associated with it has to be due to chunks that are remaining loaded, and are constantly updating. find those, and you find your culprit.

As for my FPS drop, other's have confirmed it is a local issue related to optifine and the complexity of the graphics rendering (there are many exposed faces and transparent blocks, so it isn't all that surprising), so really, turtle, stop trying to foist the server problems on my little part of the world...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-14, 15:59

While you call it daft, it does in fact illustrate that there are server side parts to the drop in FPS. I do understand how MC works, rest your head on that. If there wasn't an abundance of complex things going on there wouldn't be an issue rendering them as you indicated. Thus my wording of taking it to an extreme to illustrate the point.

The question is where is the line that the server is involved. The fact that there is lag being complained about by everyone I've chatted with and seeing the log entries means there is a whole lot going on. Much more than just your FPS.

The connection is likely based on the number of items for the server and client to track/render. In short, your OptiFine issue and the MC server load issue are not mutually exclusive. They are related to some degree.

It's not BW:

Server load is also fine right now and yet once a minute we are seeing the same error in the logs about server being overloaded. Server load has only had a 15 minute average of +1 for 5 ten minute blocks today. Loading isn't the issue for the server hardware.

Looking at iftop and iotop also show that the server is not being pushed beyond it's limits at all. Not even close for that matter. I thought maybe moving the actual MC "current" folder to the SSD might help but there is no indication that would make a difference at all. This iftop screen cap is for one user on who would likely be in an area with high detail and usage happening. Total out of the box was well under 1Mb.

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-14, 18:01

I am not blaming you or the server for the FPS issue. Rendering complexity here is not the same as blocks or chunks being updated. the FPS issue in the lava chamber (and only in it!) isn't related to chunks changing. it just isn't. this means that the server load from a person standing in my lava chamber and moving their camera around (which is where the fps is an issue), isn't any different than them just standing there moving their camera at some other place on the map. i.e. you've got to look somewhere else for the once a minute spike in load.

perhaps we should just have everyone shut off their machines and see what happens, especially if you cannot figure out which chunk is loaded that seems to be associated with the error...

just to be sure that user was me, and at about that time, I was flying around the world really really quickly... (i love my power armor).

Edit: turtle, because I cannot let a bad thought experiment breathe -- the reason your proposed thought-experiment 'proof' that the FPS issue IS server related does not work (and is quite dumb) is that you have failed to control for the fact that the rendering is being done on two different chunks, thus failing to address your central idea that the server can have an effect on render speed. the better thought experiment would be to consider whether i would have fps issues on a local copy of the map versus a non-local copy. but in that case, neither of us would be able to definitely know what the outcome was going to be -- there is no logical way to come to a conclusion. in fact, thinking about several other alternative experiments (considering bad internet connection, or rapidly changing chunks being sent slower than they were changing) all server related visual defects would be interpreted as lag as opposed to fps drops, so I am not really sure what you were going for here.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-04-14 at 18:20.