Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CarPlay
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-04, 00:37

Hey guys, is everyone asleep?

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Now this, I can get behind. Wide adoption across manufacturers, interface designed by Apple, not the car companies. I'm into this.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-04, 04:03

Apple does the right thing here by allowing you the option of steering wheel activated voice control, the automakers' knobs/buttons and the touchscreen.

I also think the touch interface is the weakest link in CarPlay. It assumes you'd operate a dash mounted touchscreen like you would a tablet when you have divided attention in a car. Fine for a passenger I guess.

I also thought it was interesting that this isn't a standalone solution. As the name suggests it's basically AirPlay mirroring with a key subset of iPhone functionality. It actually makes a lot of sense and brings us one step closer to just having all in-car settings profiled to different drivers when an iPhone is detected.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-04, 06:16

Interesting that Ford is listed, when they just dumped MS in favor of QNX (from RIM of all people) for their Sync system...
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-04, 06:53

It doesn't completely replace an OEM infotainment system. It's literally iPhone mirroring with a bit of reformatting. See the Volvo demo video for more detail. Almost all modern cars have some form of iPhone integration, so this is a natural extension of that.

I guess Ford SYNC is a little bit stickier since it behaves like Siri already and has been received well by car owners. MyFord Touch, in contrast, is dreadful.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-03-04, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Interesting that Ford is listed, when they just dumped MS in favor of QNX (from RIM of all people) for their Sync system...
My Jeep has a QNX-based system. I have to say, it's miles better than any other in car system I've ever used, including the new ones from Audi and BMW. My only complaints are the quality of the touchscreen/responsiveness. The interface itself is fine. Granted, I control all media playback directly from my iPhone over Bluetooth, so I actually haven't looked at how it manages media. But the other features are good (for a car).

That said, I'm looking forward to letting apple design the interface I see and use. It'll have to wait for a while until my next car but if this works like it should, it'll be a driving factor in my decision.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-04, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That said, I'm looking forward to letting apple design the interface I see and use. It'll have to wait for a while until my next car but if this works like it should, it'll be a driving factor in my decision.
Apple isn't playing that game...this is going to be available as an option in practically every car in the next couple of years. It looks like Apple is taking to a different strategy than Google and others. Rather than forcing iOS down car buyers' throats, the idea is to sell more iPhones. CarPlay is a very nice added value in that regard.

I'm just surprised it took this long for Apple to jump into the arena. IIRC, AN posters were predicting this stuff back in 2007.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-04, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It doesn't completely replace an OEM infotainment system. It's literally iPhone mirroring with a bit of reformatting. See the Volvo demo video for more detail. Almost all modern cars have some form of iPhone integration, so this is a natural extension of that.

I guess Ford SYNC is a little bit stickier since it behaves like Siri already and has been received well by car owners. MyFord Touch, in contrast, is dreadful.
Good point. This is to sell iPhones, not OEM licenses.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-04, 14:29

In point of fact, when the OP was written I was happily asleep.

I am not sure this is much more than meh on the apple meh-o-meter.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-04, 14:49

I refuse to pay $800-5000 for a terrible navigation/infotainment bundle. Right now I have an iPad mini mounted on a ProClip acting as my nav and music source.

So while it's meh to you, I can't wait for CarPlay to proliferate.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-04, 14:58

While I have indirectly profited at one point from the iP* product line of Apple, I have not owned one since the original shuffle, which I quickly sold.

I know I am not a typical Apple user these days, but I cannot see there actual advantage to them for this. Yes it is a feature for its users but virtually no one is going to buy a new car for an iP* product or an iP* product to have it work with a car they already own. Maybe if the car manufacturers bundled an iP* with car purchases? But that's like selling a car with a Walkman and probably as damaging to the iP* brand as it would have been for Walkman...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-04, 15:15

iP* is the most irritating abbreviation I've read this week. Congratulations!

I think you're very much not the target market Bobsky, as you say. I, on the other hand, see this as equivalent to them having an option called "Entertainment/Nav System That Actually Doesn't Suck (and gets upgraded every couple of years)" which I think I would definitely consider paying for. I guess it just depends on how much it's going to be.

Of course no-one is going to buy an iPhone to go with the car, or a car to go with an iPhone. But a lot of people already have both and use both every day. They might well get the option next time they renew their car.

I'd be interested to see what the fallback position is if you don't have your phone on you, though.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-04, 16:57

My WAG is that this is an auxiliary system.

The in-car infotainment bundle is there.

If you have an iP* (actually just an iPh*5* (ha! more annoying!)) then you can use the CarPlay system instead.

Win/win.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-04, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
iP* is the most irritating abbreviation I've read this week. Congratulations!
Thanks!

I think we agree on the point...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-04, 21:12

Something about the asterisk makes me stop dead in the sentence each time, like hitting a pothole.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-03-04, 22:40

I've been waiting for this but I think it looks awful. Apple's user interface is poorly thought out, cumbersome, and limited for this usage. And Siri simply blows. Siri works too slow and inconsistent and everything I have seen in the promo and review videos shows that constant attention and eye contact is necessary in order to use this interface and Siri.

Also, any time Apple has tried to deliver on a relationship like this where they don't control the hardware it has been short lived, neglected, and ultimately has failed.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-05, 04:21

Huh, Siri needs no eye contact or constant attention. It works just like it does on your handset except you use a steering wheel mounted button instead of the home button. I mean you can use the touchscreen home button to like the demo, but that wasn't necessary.

Priority for safety is voice, knobs, touchscreen...that's not news to anyone.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-05, 17:14

Yay for misleading headlines!

"Apple CarPlay Infotainment System Runs on BlackBerry’s QNX"

Sort of, indeed. Here's what QNX actually said:

Quote:
We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.
So, the more likely scenario is that there is in fact a CarPlay-QNX connector (possibly written by Apple, QNX, or both), which also probably answers Kickaha's question. The "real" CarPlay software, of course, runs on your iOS device; the UI you interact with does not. However, that doesn't have to mean that QNX is the OS CarPlay offers a client for.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-05, 17:27

So QNX is essentially an agent which allows iOS to communicate with the car's hardware?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-05, 21:50

QNX is the OS that runs on the car's hardware, but it arguably isn't the OS that runs the CarPlay software, much like, if you browse AppleNova on a Mac, OS X is the OS you use to interact with AppleNova, but CentOS (Linux) is the OS that powers the website.

Things like controlling CarPlay using your steering wheel buttons are presumably implemented in QNX (and maybe in other OSes for the car, too), if we understand correctly how it works. But things like the back/forward buttons in a Web browser, too, are implemented in OS X.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-06, 01:13

CarPlay is literally a customized AirPlay Mirroring implementation. It's kind of like VNCing into another computer. Physical buttons, touch recognition must go through QNX first. Hitting the "home" button in CarPlay means using the QNX's touchscreen driver, then CarPlay's own HID layer.

Last edited by Eugene : 2014-03-06 at 07:05.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-06, 01:36

I'm curious to know how robust the existing voice control systems are in those vehicles, and how they compare to Siri. (Because Siri needs a massive update)

Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-06, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm curious to know how robust the existing voice control systems are in those vehicles, and how they compare to Siri. (Because Siri needs a massive update)

Ford SYNC, which is regarded to be among the best on the market currently requires specific syntax. You push the button, say "climate" then you have to say "temperature 70 degrees." If you want to change radio stations, then you have to say "radio" then "tune AM 680" or something like that.

Siri would be a massive improvement.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-03-06, 14:19

Couple of data points on the Maps front (which after all is a pretty significant part of any car OS deal):

I was an early defender of Maps, since it seemed to work fine for me (admittedly I live in the Bay Area, where you would expect it to be as good as it gets). But recently I've had two massive fails. In one instance I was already on the freeway when I asked Siri how to get somewhere, and Siri failed to take note of the fact that I was on an elevated highway and began to demand that I TAKE A LEFT. Off the freeway. To my death.

Then I tried asking after the location of a particular lighting supply, Holzmueller. Biggest theatrical lighting place in the Bay Area, and Siri even got the spelling right from my spoken command. But didn't know what it was.

My impression is that is the big shortcoming with the Siri/Maps implementation, that asking after local businesses is woefully dysfunctional. Point to point by address, not so bad (although, really Siri? Through the guardrail and a 100' down?). If Apple can't get that working properly, who cares how well it integrates with your existing hardware in your car. If I can't say "Where is the nearest Walgreens or How do I get to Bob's Burgers?" and get a reasonable response then it's not very useful.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
chucker

2014-03-06, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
CarPlay is literally a customized AirPlay Mirroring implementation. It's kind of like VNCing into another computer. Physical buttons, touch recognition must go through QNX first. Hitting the "home" button in CarPlay means using the QNX's touchscreen driver, then CarPlay's own HID layer.
Yeah, it would appear that way. AirPlay itself is sadly (to my knowledge) unidirectional; I'd love to occasionally use something like Reflector to control my iPhone from my Mac.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-03-06, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
In one instance I was already on the freeway when I asked Siri how to get somewhere, and Siri failed to take note of the fact that I was on an elevated highway and began to demand that I TAKE A LEFT. Off the freeway. To my death.
I agree with your point about the limited usefulness of Siri – I think it’s amazing and futuristic that it works as well as it does, but it’s still not good enough to be generally worth the hassle – but mistaking which road you’re on and consequently giving bad directions is a common sat-nav problem. If there are two roads near enough to each other that the GPS receiver can’t ascertain which one you’re on, the cleverest software in the world can only guess until it has enough clues to figure it out. In the meantime, if it guesses wrong, it’ll merrily tell you all kinds of nonsense based on its thinking you’re on a parallel road.

In France many autoroutes are built alongside older roads, and my Garmin (admittedly five years old) often thinks I’m on the parallel road for kilometres at a time, never mind that I’m doing 130 km/h through junctions and mini roundabouts.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-03-06, 17:56

Yeah, I reckoned that the plunge off the freeway thing was because I was over a surface road running the same course. To be fair, had I asked Siri a route as I was setting out, instead of mid-drive, it probably would have been fine.

Not even knowing what Holzmueller was, however, is not good. Yes, it's a speciality operation, but the biggest of its kind in the area.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-14, 07:02

Gosh.....first off, how has there been no posts in here for 7+ years?

Any updates to CarPlay in iOS15? I still don't understand why they haven't implemented some sort of temperature on the main page or where signal strength is. Drives me insane.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2021-06-14, 09:49

Does CarPlay get access to those sensors?

Either way, seems it's time for CarPlay to get widgets, to surface some more info like that.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-14, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Does CarPlay get access to those sensors?

Either way, seems it's time for CarPlay to get widgets, to surface some more info like that.
CarPlay on my 2021 Subaru has widgets. Not sure if it's customizable though.

Not saying it's useful in any way.

Last edited by Ryan : 2021-06-14 at 11:47.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-14, 16:58

It doesn’t even need access to the censors. Just use the location services and the weather app. I have a weather channel app built into my stock software that’s controlled through SiriusXM