User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Does Yahoo! still offer free push email for the iPhone? Does anyone else?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does Yahoo! still offer free push email for the iPhone? Does anyone else?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-15, 05:53

^^^

I'm getting an iPhone later today. (I'm as surprised as anyone!) I liked the G1 because it essentially had free MobileMe (as long as you stayed within Google's ecosystem, of course), and I'm looking for something comparable on the iPhone. I know when the iPhone was first announced, Apple announced that they had worked with Yahoo! to offer free push email to iPhone users. Have they continued to do so, now that Apple is pushing their MobileMe service? Is anyone else offering free push email? I think push Gmail is free only for G1 users, but I'm not supersure. I can't find anything on Apple's site that mentions anything other than MobileMe...

Thanks for any replies.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
stratotom

2009-03-15, 05:56

Looks like it's still running.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/iphone/mail
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-03-15, 09:34

Yep it is still working on mine!! Although i have it set of fetch hourly (to save battery) but it is still an option on the phone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-15, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I'm getting an iPhone later today. (I'm as surprised as anyone!)

No kidding. I thought you were looking at/considering everything but the iPhone!

Well, congrats. And enjoy!

Which model? 8GB black or did you splurge so you could get the white one? That's the one I want (although there's no telling what the thing will look like come this summer, and the next major revision).
Partial
Stallion

2009-03-15, 11:42

So, Push email just hits your phone immediately after hitting some server, right? As opposed to traditional email readers, which traditionally poll a server at a set interval of time?

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-15, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
So, Push email just hits your phone immediately after hitting some server, right? As opposed to traditional email readers, which traditionally poll a server at a set interval of time?
Yes. The traditional model is for the client to repeatedly connect to the server and ask for changes (poll). Push instead works either by the client maintaining a steady connection or by the server being able to connect directly to the client (this isn't typically possible in an Internet setup), and the server then directly sending information to the client without the client having to ask for it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-15, 12:16

Then is push better or worse for battery life/performance? Sorry for such a dumb question, but I recently got my MobileMe stuff all working/pushing/syncing (bookmarks, contacts, etc. from my iMac, iPhone and signing on to MobileMe at a remote computer).

So how does all this affect my iPhone battery?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-03-15, 12:48

I suppose it depend on how often you get mail. Pull you'd normally check every X minutes.

Push it hits your phone when it hits the server. If you get more messages (time wise) than what the pull option is set to, then pull would save battery life. (ie. do you get new email every 15 min. around the clock or more? if so, pull would be better)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2009-03-15, 13:04

I find that fetching your email uses a lot less battery than push. OK i only fetch it once an hour, but i would imagine a constant connection to your phone would drain the battery quicker than the phone checking once in a while??
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-15, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I find that fetching your email uses a lot less battery than push. OK i only fetch it once an hour, but i would imagine a constant connection to your phone would drain the battery quicker than the phone checking once in a while??
That's because you don't understand push. Its not a constant connection. The server takes note of where your phone was and only pushes out a message to that location once it arrives at the server.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-16, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

No kidding. I thought you were looking at/considering everything but the iPhone!

Well, congrats. And enjoy!

Which model? 8GB black or did you splurge so you could get the white one? That's the one I want (although there's no telling what the thing will look like come this summer, and the next major revision).
Oh come now. I didn't have anything against the iPhone; I just prefer a physical keyboard.

Anyhoo, I didn't get one today. We signed up for AT&T at Wal-Mart because they had free activation, but the person there, while very polite , had not been trained on activating iPhones yet. I'm going back on Tuesday to get one, because a different person will be there.

I'm actually sort of okay with waiting a few days, because A) there's that iPhone 3.0 dealio on Tuesday, so there's a chance (however small) of a price drop or capacity bump or something, and B) I need to decide which iPhone model to get! Before they only had the 8GB but now they have the 16GB one, in both colors. I'm a little worried about 8GB being sort of small (like, how "big" are apps? Games?), and I do sort of want the white iPhone. It's more unique. But it's also $100 more, which is like, $1,000 in college money.

But I am getting pretty excited for my iPhone, in any case. I watched that half-hour "guided tour" on Apple.com and was practically drooling the whole time (even though I already knew most of it).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
veryamusing

2009-03-16, 07:02

What about a refurb white iPhone 16 GB from AT&T for $199? (Link)
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2009-03-16, 08:37

I would go for the 16Gb version. i know it is more money but with music, videos and apps you will soon use all that up. I have only about 200Mb of apps, which is two screens worth on the phone, so they aren't that big. But its music and videos that suck up all the memory.
Justin

2009-03-16, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
That's because you don't understand push. Its not a constant connection. The server takes note of where your phone was and only pushes out a message to that location once it arrives at the server.
Yeah, the phone/server send "heartbeats" every once in a while to check the connection, but most of the time it's just an open connection that isn't being used. I would say most of the time push would use less battery unless you get new emails every few mins. The difference is that when you poll you are using battery even if there are no new emails.

One other problem is if you only have EDGE connection. If this is true every time you get a call you lose your data connection and the phone / server push connection will have to be reestablished every time you get a call. Also, if you have spotty data connection in general the phone / server push connection would need to be reset a lot which would make more sense to just set to poll.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-03-16, 08:41

Agreed. I couldn't imagine having 8gb right now now. 32gb would really hit the spot for the iphone.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-03-16, 10:10

Unlike the above answers, I'm happy with 8GB It depends on how much music and apps and video you want. I carry no video and only my bus/train/sleep playlists, which amount to not very much. I have like 20 playlists on there, max. I use less than half of my iPhone's space; I could easily survive on a 4GB if they still offered 'em.

Now, if you want to carry videos, or lots of music, you'll want 16GB. But if you're only gonna have a few playlists at a time plus apps, 8GB is fine.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-16, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh come now. I didn't have anything against the iPhone; I just prefer a physical keyboard.
I never said you had anything against the iPhone. You just simply never brought it up, or talked about it much at all. That's why it was shocking you went with one, that's all.

Yeah, watching that guided tour video is what got me "thinking in iPhone", prior to my purchase. It made me sit down and really tighten up my bookmarks, iCal entries and Address Book. I'm glad I did because it was worth the bit of front-end work/organizing to have such a helpful, useful phone now, with contact info, calendars, sensible, organized bookmarks, etc. spanning across my iMac, iPhone and whenever I log into MobileMe at a friend's computer.

You watch those videos and you hit the ground running when you get your hands on the actual product.

Those are all I ever really do in terms of learning iMovie and iPhoto. I watch the guided tour videos, and whatever video tutorials. The rest is me experimenting or exploring, but I've got the basics down really well from the videos, so I'm exploring from a set, solid jump-off point.

Get the refurb white one for $199! If I can get a white 32GB model this summer, that's the one I'll do. I've yet to see a white one out in the world. I see the first-gen models (like mine) and the black ones, only.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-18, 23:58

So I got one.

OMG why didn't you guys tell me about this sooner!

Just kidding...I'm glad that I waited for the iPhone 3G, because the 3G is superfast and the GPS is really good. And it's like $400 cheaper. But still...now that I actually have it, I can't believe I held out this long.

I'm glad I didn't sign a contract with T-Mobile. I would probably like the G1 almost as much, but still.

I have an iPhone.

Holy shit.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-03-19, 00:03

haha.

I remember I had that reaction when I got my first iPhone. I'm on my third now and I still get that excited when I get a new one.

Good luck with it. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.