Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Smoking cessation meters

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Smoking cessation meters
Mac Adam

2005-12-12, 08:05

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a smoking cessation meter for OS X- the type that records time elapsed, cigarettes not smoked etc., etc.

It won't make or break my attempt at stopping the evil weed, but some motivation would sure help

Thanks

Matt

If anyone has anything to say (positive or otherwise) about their experience of quitting smoking I'd really like to hear about it too! Thanks again.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-12, 08:09

Never seen one but good luck with the attempt.

You could simply post every day / week to let us know how it's going.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-12-12, 08:12

InactionMan is the guy you need to talk to.

This is his profile picture, for instance:
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 08:36

Don't know anything about non smoking widgets, but I can recommend this book, which turns the battle against quitting smoking on its head and is in my mind very clever (and entirely sincere).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...884987-1249553

Everyday is a good day to stop smoking. Another tip. Drink a lot of water, eat a lot of oranges/mandarinas/clementines, and excercise like it's going out of style (cycle, jog, weights, pushups situps pull ups, swim).

Have fun.
¡Damned!

2005-12-12, 09:37

Wow. I may have to pick that book up. Couldn't hurt.

Lately I'm more than making up for our beloved InactionMan's quitting.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 09:51

I still haven't cleaned out that ashtray. It's got the butts from the last two cigs I smoked. Great ashtray.

I've never heard of any software to help quit, seems kind of goonie. I have seen a bunch of website that encourage people to track how many cigs they haven't smoked, how much they've saved and how many extra days they'll get to be alive since quitting.

That shit is gay.

It doesn't help to think about smoking all the time when you're trying to quit. Go buy the patch, stick it on and just stop smoking. If you have a really bad nic-fit, take the patch off, have a cig then put the patch back on.

And don't wait for a good time to quit. It's never a good time to quit because smoking is the single greatest habit in the world. No one wants to quit.

And reading about this smoker's only disease really helped.*

*Well, not only smokers, but about 95% of all cases are from moderate to heavy smokers.

:smokey: :smokey: :smokey:
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-12-12, 15:59

Ewww... shit.

Edit: I don't smoke, but that book referenced above might be really good for anyone that does and wants to give up. Its got an average Customer Rating at Amazon UK of 5 stars—out of 350 reviews. I've read 3 pages of them, in which only 2 ratings were below 5 stars and only 1 person didn't manage to quit. Impressive.

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-12-12 at 16:10.
Mac Adam

2005-12-12, 20:19

Thanks guys, I guess there isn't then! Not a big problem though.

InactionMan,

We all have our own way of quitting I guess, in the same way we all have different 'triggers' that make us crave a smoke. Personally I'd find keeping track of how many cigarettes I hadn't smoked and how much money I hadn't wasted motivational, at least in the short term.

Then again I don't see the point in trying to get off cigarettes while continuing to feed myself nicotine via patches- nictotine is the addictive element after all. This to me is 'gay'. Each to their own though hey.

Whatever though, best of luck with your quit. How long has it been now? And do you feel free of them yet???!

FWIW this website:

www.whyquit.com

is without doubt the best smoking cessation resource on the planet IMO :-)

Last edited by Mac Adam : 2005-12-12 at 20:27.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-12-13, 00:13

I didn't quit because I was concerned about my addiction to Nicotine, I quit because it was having an extremely negative effect on my health. If I could, I would still smoke. The simple fact is that cigarettes are awesome. Smoking is awesome. It's just bad for you. Very bad.

I went to that site, and there some good links there but overall I'm a bit nauseated by the hand-holding, group hug one-day-at-a-time nonsense.

Anyway, this isn't 3rd Party Application discussion.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-12-13, 16:14

hmmm, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
excercise like it's going out of style (cycle, jog, weights, pushups situps pull ups, swim).
and
Quote:
Have fun.
don't seem to go together.
Ashka
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Send a message via AIM to Ashka  
2005-12-13, 16:40

I quit a few months ago with the help of this site:
been smoking for 40+ years
http://www.whyquit.com/
No darn excuses allowed :-) Hope it's the right trigger for you.
Mac Adam

2005-12-13, 17:42

Good stuff Ashka :-)
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-14, 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
hmmm, this:

and

don't seem to go together.
I don't find situps and pushups fun (AT ALL), but I do enjoy loading up the Shuffle with tunes and hitting the trails that meander through the rolling vinyards and drooling over this bike (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6VE2.html) (which I hope to snag in the Spring).

I love smokes as much as InactionMan, but I love running and riding too. I've balanced them my whole life, but as I approach the midpoint in that adventure, one of them has to go.