Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Browser Compatibility

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Browser Compatibility
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 14:19

I was having problems with my cable modem service early this morning, and again around noon today, Chicago time. So I went to my ISP's website to see if they had any maintenance scheduled for my area. They did last night, but not today, so reason number one to call and yell.

But than reason number two came up, and it really made my blood boil. I attempted to login to a customer care and online account management sections of their website and I was told I needed Internet Explorer to log in. I flipped, they already got quite the indignant e mail, and will be receiving a call from me later today. The fact that the only browser the support is the most uncompliant, virus prone, and slowest one out there is absolutely ridiculous.

I know I'm just going to get a response from them along the lines of, "most of our customers use IE...blah blah blah." I've always been impressed with the company, but the customer service is subpar at best. I guess the point of all this is, tell me some stories like this, so I know I'm not the only one. If you don't wanna, at least make fun of me so I'll have something to laugh at.

Come waste your time with me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-11, 14:27

Oh, they just SAY that you need Internet Explorer. You probably don't actually need it, they just don't want to have to help anyone who's using anything other than a PC running WinXP w/ Internet Explorer. If they tell you it won't work because you're using a different browser, yell at them.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 14:29

They did tell me that. Well, indirectly at least. I tried to log into the website and it told me that I needed to upgrade to IE. I haven't called yet, but if my service doesn't improve with in the hour I'm going to call. I'm just letting myself cool off a little before I go off on someone about non standard browsers and stuff like that.

Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-08-11, 14:35

I am so closed to moving my office onto Firefox instead of IE. (I'm sick of the security holes.) It would be a non-issue if it weren't for crappy web designers that only design and test to IE. An ISP should be able to afford to test more than just IE on their site.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 14:40

EXACLY! The fact that they only officially support one browser is absolutely stupid. I just hate that the world is so resistant to moving to anything but IE. I can't stand it anymore. And the worst part is when something isn't compliant with IE people just lay down and die. Than they run back to IE. Fight for it people, or you'll be stuck using that sorry sack of crap of a browser for the rest of your lives.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-11, 15:31

Send them to some of the links on this page and ask again why they *require* Internet Explorer.

http://brad.project-think.com/warning.html

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 16:15

Thanks a lot for the link Brad, I'll be sure to pass that along to them.