User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Last G4 to support native OS9 (no OSX required)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Last G4 to support native OS9 (no OSX required)?
Niner

2006-04-16, 15:26

Hi;
I currently have a Beige G3 400 and I want to upgrade to (I think) a Sawtooth G4 466 AGP Digital Audio machine. My only hesitation is whether or not OSX is manditory on this machine. Presently I don't want to have to mess around with anything related to OSX nor dual booting and using "classic". If this machine _does_ require OSX, which was the last G4 that didn't.

Thanks for your help.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-16, 15:42

Hi Niner,

Welcome to AppleNova.

That machine was originally released in January 2001 and had OS 9. Therefore, you don't have to worry about the dual boot scenario that came up in the later models.

Cheers.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-04-16, 15:46

Beige G3's toped out at 333Mhz so I assume you have a upgrade card in there. That AGP machine can run OS 9, but I wouldn't expect a noticeable speed-boost over your Beige. I know you don't want to hassle with it, but OS X is much faster on that machine (it was a pain to set up ) and OS 9 can be emulated at nearly the same speed.

Unless you use Protools in OS 9.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Niner

2006-04-16, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
Hi Niner,

Welcome to AppleNova.

That machine was originally released in January 2001 and had OS 9. Therefore, you don't have to worry about the dual boot scenario that came up in the later models.

Cheers.
Thanks cynical_rock -- for the welcome and the info.

Roger
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-16, 15:53

I would be very interested to know why you don't want to "mess around with anything related to OS X". I'm not going to try and convince you, I would just like to know.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-16, 16:00

I'm pretty sure the last machines that could boot OS 9 natively were one of the MDD PM's, way after the machine you have.

And I'm also wondering what's up with OS X. It's much nicer than OS 9 even on slower hardware, and I've used plenty of both recently.
Niner

2006-04-16, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Beige G3's toped out at 333Mhz so I assume you have a upgrade card in there. That AGP machine can run OS 9, but I wouldn't expect a noticeable speed-boost over your Beige. I know you don't want to hassle with it, but OS X is much faster on that machine (it was a pain to set up ) and OS 9 can be emulated at nearly the same speed.

Unless you use Protools in OS 9.
Hi Ebby;

I dropped in a 400mhz CPU from OtherWorld. I'm not expecting much of speed boost, just an incremental upgrade. Most of all, I need a large capacity (4gig)
DVD SuperDrive for backup purposes. I tried a SuperDrive in my Beige and can't get it to work without hanging. USB and Firewire will be nice too, though I'll loose my ADB and Serial connections. I hope I can get my 12/600 LaserWriter to work via Ethernet or something. I do have some OS9 Audio apps in mind too. I can;t afford a complete OSX upgrade, all apps, and I hate classic conflicts and OSX generally, I'm getting too old to learn another frigging OS, can't afford the _time_ I once spent on such things, Mac and PC.

Thanks
Roger
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-04-16, 16:15

I know what you mean!

The most common source of hanging when adding a DVD drive is incorrect jumper settings. That is what gets me 90% of the time I have problems. USB and Firewire are worthy reasons to upgrade. I forgot I added a USB2/Firewire card to my Beige G3 so I can use new technology. Drivers for apple printers are usually installed with the operating system and unless the extensions are removed, I don't see major problems other than setting up ethernet addresses if you are not using DHCP.

As for the rest, Yea, OS X and OS 9 are two different beasts. There may be similarities between the two so you have an advantage whenever you choose to learn OS X, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Niner

2006-04-16, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
I would be very interested to know why you don't want to "mess around with anything related to OS X". I'm not going to try and convince you, I would just like to know.
Hi ghoti;
in a phrase, life's too short ;-) I've already wasted too much of it (my life) on computers for the last 15 years. I have real work to do that requires all my old apps, Adobe Framemaker and Illustrator in particular. Adobe has no plans for an OSX native version of FrameMaker. The new versions of Illustrator are also junk as far as I'm concerned (mixing vector and bitmap in one). Maybe Apple has finally fixed the font problems and conflicts between OSX and Classic, but it was a nightmare under the first iterations of OSX, no Multiple Master fonts either, or no new creations of them at least, no printing suppoort at all in first versions and then you had to pay full cover price for the "upgrades" too (don't get me started). In general I feel Apple forgot it's core user base, publishing and graphic arts amoung them, when they moved to OSX. I get the impression that notion won't fly well here so please let's not turn this into a long discussion/argumant of such things (folks, all).
Thanks
Roger
Niner

2006-04-16, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
I know what you mean!

The most common source of hanging when adding a DVD drive is incorrect jumper settings. That is what gets me 90% of the time I have problems. USB and Firewire are worthy reasons to upgrade. I forgot I added a USB2/Firewire card to my Beige G3 so I can use new technology. Drivers for apple printers are usually installed with the operating system and unless the extensions are removed, I don't see major problems other than setting up ethernet addresses if you are not using DHCP.

As for the rest, Yea, OS X and OS 9 are two different beasts. There may be similarities between the two so you have an advantage whenever you choose to learn OS X, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
thanks for the commiseration and the info. And ya, the old "if it ain't broke" adage is the operative for me.

Thanks
Roger
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-04-16, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner
Hi ghoti;
in a phrase, life's too short ;-) I've already wasted too much of it (my life) on computers for the last 15 years. I have real work to do that requires all my old apps, Adobe Framemaker and Illustrator in particular. Adobe has no plans for an OSX native version of FrameMaker. The new versions of Illustrator are also junk as far as I'm concerned (mixing vector and bitmap in one). Maybe Apple has finally fixed the font problems and conflicts between OSX and Classic, but it was a nightmare under the first iterations of OSX, no Multiple Master fonts either, or no new creations of them at least, no printing suppoort at all in first versions and then you had to pay full cover price for the "upgrades" too (don't get me started). In general I feel Apple forgot it's core user base, publishing and graphic arts amoung them, when they moved to OSX. I get the impression that notion won't fly well here so please let's not turn this into a long discussion/argumant of such things (folks, all).
Thanks
Roger
why not just try os x? With os X you can run your old apps with classic. Trust me you will love OS X. It's really a Big step up from OS 9. And It's as easy if not easier to use than OS 9.


Niner

2006-04-16, 17:03

I have tried it, windowsrookie, starting with the first two public betas, and I _don't_ love it ;')
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-16, 17:33

Actually, I don't like os x all that much either.

I have this nasty tendency of saving things to desktop because I haven't figured out a good way of getting access to the documents folder without unnecessarily going through the file system (I don't like staring at folders even in list view)... I want my nested menus... I want them now...