Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Anyone buying a new Mac for Leopard?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone buying a new Mac for Leopard?
MagSafe

2007-02-08, 06:52

Hi everyone

So ... is anyone going to be buying a new Mac when Leopard is released?

When Leopard will be released i'll have had my Mini for around a year, and have been eyeing up the various Mac models for a while now to see what the best configuration to get is.

I figure rather than wait till Macworld '08 I might as well splash out on a new computer when Leopard (and hopefully iLife) come out. As well as saving money on them I also won't need to get another 1TB external HDD as i'll be getting a 750GB drive in whatever Mac I purchase and will just use the external one I have now instead for Time Machine. After selling my Mac Mini money-wise it should be worth it and make sense to buy a new computer rather than spend £150-£200 on Leopard & iLife.

Is anyone doing the same, if so what Mac are you going for?

I was pricing up the iMac and Mac Pro configurations and its going to work out cheaper to get a Mac Pro, which I can then upgrade in later years

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-02-08, 06:58

Leapord isn't like Vista. It isn't going to really require a better computer to run better than Tiger. It'll likely perform most functions better. That was the impression I was under anyway.

But if you need a new OS to make you feel less guilty about forking out for a Mac Pro, sure you need it.
MagSafe

2007-02-08, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Leapord isn't like Vista. It isn't going to really require a better computer to run better than Tiger. It'll likely perform most functions better. That was the impression I was under anyway.
Yeah ... I know

I said i was planning on getting a new computer anyway, my Mac Mini was fine at the time when I bought it but nowadays a faster system to replace it is much needed

What i was saying was; instead of purchasing Leopard & iLife only to get them for free in 6 months time it makes sense to purchase a new computer sooner, rather than later.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 07:33

If you're getting a Mac Pro, wait until WWDC. They should get upgraded then, which will drive down prices of current refurbs. Then you could go for the upgraded model or get a refurb and save even more money.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
MagSafe

2007-02-08, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
If you're getting a Mac Pro, wait until WWDC. They should get upgraded then, which will drive down prices of current refurbs. Then you could go for the upgraded model or get a refurb and save even more money.
Yeah, good idea

I won't be getting one until late June anyway, so i'll be waiting patiently for that then

By the way, in terms of upgradability ... what kind of hardware will I be able to put into it? and where can i get it from? (if its only Apple hardware)

Shades of Blue

2007-02-08, 08:01

I've been eyeing the laptops (probably just a MacBook, but we'll see what's been upgraded to what when the time comes), but since I don't need one in any sort of hurry, I'll be waiting until Leopard before I start seriously considering one.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 11:14

Leopard is tempting me to look at upgrading from my iBook G4 (Original purchase date: March 2005) in a few months. Been a very good computer for me, even with me putting a full desktop-level load on it, complete with video encoding and all that, but its getting closer to time for an upgrade.

Might go with a new Mini and a good LCD, or maybe an iMac. I'd really like to just keep this one for laptop use and have a real desktop.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Leopard is tempting me to look at upgrading from my iBook G4 (Original purchase date: March 2005) in a few months. Been a very good computer for me, even with me putting a full desktop-level load on it, complete with video encoding and all that, but its getting closer to time for an upgrade.

Might go with a new Mini and a good LCD, or maybe an iMac. I'd really like to just keep this one for laptop use and have a real desktop.
PKI, if you don't already have a monitor, the iMac is the better buy. That gets you a Super Drive, more RAM (except the base model), a bigger hard drive, and a great screen.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 12:02

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't have a monitor currently, so a Mini could get pretty pricey, plus after using a laptop as my main computer since 2001, I really like having an all-in-one.
Electric Monk

2007-02-08, 13:17

If they come out with a subnotebook replacement for my 12" PB then yes. Otherwise I'll keep plugging along on my beloved PowerBook.

C'mon Apple. Appeal to students, businesspeople, and Asia: Make a damn subnotebook, or at least a 12" PB replacement (no, the BlackBook is not a replacement. I don't care about your arguments about that).
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-02-08, 15:54

I wish I were buying a new Mac, but it looks like my 1 GHz 12" PB will keep going for another year, at least. I'll probably just install a RAM upgrade for Leopard.
noleli2

2007-02-08, 23:05

My plan is to wait until Leopard (or maybe even WWDC) to get an MBP. My TiBook 800 (that I bought in August of 2002 *gasp* ) is finally starting to show its age.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-02-08, 23:27

Nope, will just be upgrading my sweet 24" iMac
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2007-02-09, 05:39

My original plan was to wait until Christmas and possibly get something around that time, but the release of Leopard makes everything that bit more tempting. If a 12" MBP was released I would find it very hard not to buy one straight away. Until then I think my Cube and iBook should handle Leopard fine.
MagSafe

2007-02-11, 17:09

I don't suppose anyone knows if I'll get Leopard on a refurbished Mac if I order one shortly after the release?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-11, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
I don't suppose anyone knows if I'll get Leopard on a refurbished Mac if I order one shortly after the release?
I doubt it. Though it would be cool!
MagSafe

2007-02-11, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I doubt it. Though it would be cool!
I'm guessing they won't, odds are they'll ship it with the original restore discs ... which is a shame

If anyone bought one after the release of Tiger, could you let me know please?

Thanks

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-11, 17:49

On a refurb? I wouldn't count on it.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2007-02-12, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

ditto to everything you wrote (except I already have a good LCD [Dell 2007WFP] used with my iBook right now and I purchased the iBook in August 2005).

Oh, and I'm also waiting for a Core 2 Duo, Superdrive and 1GB RAM standard on all models of the Mac mini.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2007-02-12, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
OS X for sure has been like that, and from what I've read the Leopard betas have acted as such.

It must be noted, however, that several key Leopard features are still to be announced. Nobody knows what they're going to require.

I typed this message on a white MacBook.