User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

omgwtfsafari4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
omgwtfsafari4
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-10, 12:39

Preview, that is. For ADC Online (free) users.

Aside from site-specific browsers and a newer WebKit release, nothing new that I could find. It's nice having a new non-nightly (though still non-release) build of WebKit, since this affects all apps, but otherwise, this isn't very interesting yet. I'm not sure if this version features Squirrelfish; I suppose a benchmark comparison with Safari 3.1 would answer that question (but require an uninstall…).

As for SSBs, it works similarly to Fluid, although it is more integrated. Whenever you want to "create a browser", you just go to the page in question and choose File → Save as Web Application…. This, much like Fluid does, stores (and launches) a new app bundle that will go straight to the site in particular. Interestingly, there's a new /Applications/Safari Web Applications/ folder for this, although you can choose another place as your destination.

The resulting site browser is very (deliberately) constrained; there is, for example, no location bar. The generated icon features the page at an angle, which makes them rather hard to distinguish (unless you happen to have rather unusual background colors), but it's understandable they wouldn't want to use favicons; they're simply too small.

So that's Safari Version 4 Developer Preview. I'm hoping there'll be more fluff to this, for the changes so far really only warrant a 3.5 at best.
rampancy

2008-06-10, 12:49

I guess it's safe to say it's Leopard-only, huh?

Edit: Scratch that, it's for 10.4 and Windows too! w00t!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-10, 12:53

Where abouts is it on the dev site?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-10, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Where abouts is it on the dev site?
Right at all the other downloads. http://connect.apple.com/ → Downloads.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-10, 12:56

Don't worry. Huh, it asked me to update my personal info with a mandatory 'company/org' field.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-06-10, 13:23

I got the same thing. I just put in a random mix of letters.

I"m on it right now. Nothing new that jumps out.
GOLDFRAPP

2008-06-10, 20:54

so far i've noticed that safari 4.0 does not render iweb shadows correctly

safari 3

safari 4
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-06-10, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFRAPP View Post
so far i've noticed that safari 4.0 does not render iweb shadows correctly
For what it's worth, the shadows on your web site look fine in the latest WebKit nightly. So, either there's something especially odd about this build of Safari 4 or it's badly out of sync with the current WebKit development.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
rampancy

2008-06-12, 03:57

For anyone who's up on these things, 1Password's been updated to a new beta version (2.6.5b3) which supports Safari 4.
rasmits
rams it

2008-06-12, 04:38

Safari 4 has a horrible "back button" bug. It hangs randomly when pressing the back button, which is very annoying.
v.noir

2008-06-12, 04:46

I believe it does include squirrelfish. Sites like facebook seem to work much faster for me. There used to be a fair bit of beachballing while Safari thought about things on my 1.5GHz G4, but now things are pretty instant. Safari in general appears more responsive too, launching much faster than 3.1.1 did.

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
chucker

2008-06-12, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Safari 4 has a horrible "back button" bug. It hangs randomly when pressing the back button, which is very annoying.
Haven't encountered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir View Post
I believe it does include squirrelfish. Sites like facebook seem to work much faster for me. There used to be a fair bit of beachballing while Safari thought about things on my 1.5GHz G4, but now things are pretty instant. Safari in general appears more responsive too, launching much faster than 3.1.1 did.
Well, there have been general performance improvements in WebKit, so it's hard to ascertain whether Squirrelfish is already in (though that's probably the case).

As for launch times… yeah, those feel faster to me as well, but that could just be my imagination.