Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

/b/ hacks Governor Palin's Yahoo! email

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
/b/ hacks Governor Palin's Yahoo! email
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-09-17, 20:42

So, after the recent reports about how Governor Sarah Palin has been using a personal Yahoo! email account for conducting state business, it looks like an Anonymous figured out her email password (an all-lowercase dictionary word, apparently) and grabbed a list of emails and addresses, took a few screenshots, and posted them to wikileaks.org (now being hammered). Except for the email addresses of family members and associates, it looks like nothing of significant value has really been leaked, though.

It's blowing up over the media now. CNN, Yahoo News, Bill O'Reilly... you know, all the important outlets.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2008-09-17, 21:01

Conspiracy theorists will wonder if this is really a GOP op in an effort to get her private emails inadmissible in court.

Others will wonder if all her email from the account has been hijacked and will be eventually released.

Some will wonder what kind of guy uses cryptic Iron Dog Winnar!! as his email addy and license plate.

I will wonder if any of her Halloween photos where she dressed up as Tina Fey are attached.

So it goes.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-09-17, 21:03

Ars is saying that she evidently used the yahoo account for *some* state government business. At the very least this shows how important strong passwords are.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-09-17, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I will wonder if any of her Halloween photos where she dressed up as Tina Fey are attached.
There were two photos from her inbox that were leaked. One was a candid shot of her kids sitting in a park and the other was Bristol (I think) making a silly cross-eyed, tongue-out pose.

No Tina Fey look-a-likes, I'm afraid.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-09-18, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Ars is saying that she evidently used the yahoo account for *some* state government business. At the very least this shows how important strong passwords are.
and serve as a further reminder that state business should be done on state email addresses...

it is a matter of simple transparency in the event of ethical misconduct...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-18, 02:03

Even if it contained nothing relevant to her business as governor, the account would still have been a target for hacking if there was merely a suspicion of foul play. The Ars article actually suggest that there wasn't. Anyways, it's probably too much to hope for that politicians and other people will ever get smarter.

Wonder if the FBI are going to try and catch any of them? Send a couple of /b/tards to Gitmo to the neverending amusement of the remaining million. These guys remind me mostly of Gremlins.

EDIT:
The Register already has a lead on the perpetrator.

Last edited by Mugge : 2008-09-18 at 02:37.