finally new PM "confirmed"

clearing out the 1.6 model

'bout time too

g
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 15:19

Took them long enough, haha.

After a year of the same machines with no updates (the dual 1.8 doesn't count)

Finally!!!!
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 17:23

We are a go for 3 GHz 975-based G5s. Prep the credit cards, men - we're going in.
bborofka

Send a message via AIM to bborofka  
2004-05-28, 22:37

It's interesting (but disappointing) how they're letting the G5's go the way of the G4 iMac. Remember how it went it's first 13 months without any update at all? It didn't even have any price drops either.

Is this Apple's new Desktop strategy?
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-28, 22:45

I really do doubt that it is apples new strategy for desktops. The 970fx update was scracted back in november do to problems( maybe explains the reason for the 1.8 Ghz going dual). So you can't blame apple for that. Neither can you blame it on IBM. At least apple is trying to say I am sorry for the long period between updates with the possiblity of 3.0 Ghz G5's.

giggity
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-30, 00:40

I think it's generally understood that if Apple could have updated the G5s by now, they would have. But the 970 won't clock much higher as it's a 130nm chip and already having heat problems @ 2.0ghz. They needed to go to the 90nm design and had problems with clock speed, heat, ect...

They'll have updates ASAP. It's similar to what happened to the iMac G4 in its 13 month stagnant period, except that was due to Moto's inability to produce a quality chip that was faster than 500mhz
However, those problems seem to be in the past.
<hugs 1.33ghz G4 PB>

Come waste your time with me
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-01, 10:13

more info??

g
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-06-01, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
Let's see. There's apparently never been a "PowerMac7,1"; it isn't documented in /System/Library/Extensions/, anyhow. What gives?

The current G5 lineup (single 1.6 GHz, single / dual 1.8 GHz, dual 2.0 GHz) seems to be PowerMac7,2:

$ (cd /System/Library/Extensions/; grep -r PowerMac7,2 ./) | head -1
./AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: <key>PowerMac7,2</key>

There is, however, also a PowerMac7,3:

$ (cd /System/Library/Extensions/; grep -r PowerMac7,3 ./) | head -1
./AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: <key>PowerMac7,3</key>

And as far as I know, the dual 1.8 GHz did *not* get this separate revision number. Speculation: this was a planned, but then scrapped 970FX-based model.

$ (cd /System/Library/Extensions/; grep -r PowerMac8,1 ./) | head -1
./AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: <key>PowerMac8,1</key>

This one has a major version bump, so one would assume this is in fact not a 970-anything-based model, but instead a newer CPU, such as a 975.

You may now return to your typical random guessing :P
ZO

2004-06-02, 04:59

a nice little thin client....
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-02, 08:54

We need one of those nice long multi-paragraph AI posts about exactly what is happening down in the "shop" with the 90nm design, full of tech lingo and "Moto" this, "IBM" that, and "Intel" whatever. I don't understand most of what is written in those posts, but I get off on them, as they make it sound like something is happening. I need another one soon.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2004-06-02 at 09:53.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-03, 14:58

our "kissing cousin" has some photos of the internals of the new PM

info here

g
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-06-03, 16:11

Well from the looks of things 3 or 4 more revisions and the entire computer is going to be one giant heatsink.

I wonder whats under that thing anyways There is no way thats all just solid metal. Fans maybe? More processors? - ha yeah right.

The smaller motherboard is an interesting note. Thats a pretty significant shrink. Does anyone have a link to any good documentation to IBMs elastic bus, I wanted to do some reading on it.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.

Last edited by SilentEchoes : 2004-06-03 at 16:29.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-03, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
We need one of those nice long multi-paragraph AI posts about exactly what is happening down in the "shop" with the 90nm design, full of tech lingo and "Moto" this, "IBM" that, and "Intel" whatever. I don't understand most of what is written in those posts, but I get off on them, as they make it sound like something is happening. I need another one soon.
Damn, I'm with you on that.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-03, 17:04

paging programmer.....

yeah, i loved programmer's post...didn't understand half of what was in them, but i felt smarter having read them

g
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-03, 18:38

.com has a story up about the new PMs.

I've edited out the .com water mark and copied the text here:

Quote:
New service and repair documents for Apple's Power Mac G5 computers appear to show images of an unreleased revision to the product line, according to photos and documentation recently obtained by AppleInsider

In May, Apple distributed at least two revisions of the Power Mac service manuals. The first revision appeared on May 12 and featured only minor alterations, but a successive revision published on the 28th of the month reveals some interesting and previously unseen photos (below) of a dual Power Mac G5.

Larger heatsink cover

Over the last 6 months, AppleInsider has consistently published reports of an all dual processor lineup planned for the next Power Mac G5 revision. In line with these reports, the service manual shows a large and unified heat sink cover. The current models, which can have one or two processors, have one heat sink per CPU.

Sources also speculate that a revised cooling system could be nestled behind the larger plate cover.

Smaller motherboard

Also apparent from the photos is the existence of a much smaller motherboard in the unreleased Power Mac photos; about one third smaller than the board featured in the current Power Macs. A noticeably longer cable is used to connect the board to ports on the face of the unit.

The larger vacant space in the front of the unit could potentially allow for a terabyte of storage, which was rumored as a possible feature of the new Power Macs, via four 250GB hard drives.

Lack of front inlet fans

Sources also note the apparent disappearance of the front inlet fans cooling the CPUs. While the base of the chassis in the new service manual retains a notch for these fans, the upper ceiling of the area has been replaced with a flush metal plate that no longer supports an upper connection notch.

Click on image to enlarge.

Vertical RAM slots

Currently shipping Power Mac models sport 4 or 8 RAM slots, placed horizontally on the motherboard, while photos of the unreleased Power Mac show 4 visible RAM slots positioned vertically. According to sources, this change in orientation may be due to the absence of the inlet fans. Since air no longer needs to flow through the RAM modules, they can be positioned vertically, freeing up additional space in the chassis.

Summary

It's unclear why these photos have suddenly appeared in Apple service documentation prior to the announcement of Power Mac G5s configured in such a fashion.

Apple sometimes prepares stock photography of products prior to their release. With revisions of the Power Mac G5 previously scheduled to arrive months ago, source said it is likely that these photos could represent an overview of the new 90-nanometer Power Mac G5, now destined for a late June introduction.
Here's the photo: I would prefer not to host this on my dot mac account incase Apple Legal gets uppity. If someone wants to host it that would be great.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-03, 19:26

Wow. Toshiba spouting off about their 60GB hard drives yesterday, and now this today.

Steve is gonna shit.

That poor guy can't keep ANYTHING under wraps, can he? G4 Cube, 17" CRT Studio Display, G4 iMac, the G5 "premature specification" last year...now these two recent things.

Imagine the hissyfit he's throwing this evening. Cupertino is probably a dangerous place to be tonight.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-03, 22:10

Christ, that heat sink is huge

And still only 2 drive bays...
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2004-06-03, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Christ, that heat sink is huge

And still only 2 drive bays...
I don't think that is a heat sink. It looks more like a cover as well. I think it is a means of covering the heat sink, but also a new cover/removable bracket that holds the fans that use to be in front of the heat sink. It looks like it could pull out.

Nick
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-03, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman
I don't think that is a heat sink. It looks more like a cover as well. I think it is a means of covering the heat sink, but also a new cover/removable bracket that holds the fans that use to be in front of the heat sink. It looks like it could pull out.

Nick
You're probably right. One of the really noticeable things about it is its depth... which really does make you wonder (and speculate rabidly on) what's underneath.

Quad processors! Yeehaw! (or something like that)

Or a super-dooper water cooling system?

I'm feeling optimistic this afternoon.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-03, 23:14

It was pointed out over at MacRumors that the new G5 image is completely in gray scale, excepting the mobo, whereas the current G5 has color. Could be a fake, could be a rendering, could be the real deal.

I'll be honest, if .com's report on Tiger is true, no matter how fast the new G5's are, WWDC is going to be a disaster.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-06-04, 03:56

The cover may not be *the* heatsink, but it will certainly be *a* heatsink. Since the cover is part of the shelf/separator, it amounts to a very large metal surface that will dissipate the heat better than the previous design.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-07, 14:44

MacRumors is reporting that the new PowerMacs are going to be introduced tomorrow. No mention of specs or prices, but they seem pretty sure that tomorrow we shall be PowerMacafied.

One random thought:

So we've gotten AirPort Express, iTMS in Europe, and PowerMacs. Seems like Apple is really clearing the docket for for WWDC. Unless the iMac upgrade is a complete redesign, which I'm not sure is coming, Tiger better be one giant fucking upgrade.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-06-07, 14:58

Well it is a tiger. At the Apple Store, an unmodified Power Mac has a ship date of 7-10 days. Modifying it changes the ship date to 4 to 6 weeks.

Screed
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-07, 16:40

and now thinksecret
sez tomorrow for the PMs

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-07, 16:51

Ha...and topping out at "only" 2.6. Some of you people are going to have a cow. Moo!

I said the other day I think this will be the case, because, let's face it: speed-bumped G5s are hardly an exciting, scene-stealing thing to waste a WWDC keynote on. They could update them ANY time, you know? It's not a new product, worthy of a trade show or "special event" unveiling, so tomorrow, next week, last month, etc. all would work for a G5 update.

I never saw the need to save it for WWDC.

I think WWDC will be Tiger and a new, redesigned G5 iMac.

No mention of new displays in the ThinkSecret story. Sigh...

On a related sidenote, do you all get as torqued up and perky during moments like this as I do? When there's a flurry of activity and all the rumor sites (the credible ones, anyway) are all "greenlight for go" and the community is buzzing and the front page at apple.com is changing and the stock is up and Steve is rolling cool shit out...dang, I just LOVE days like this.

I really, really do.

iChat, checking out the rumor sites, getting up to pee at 3am and checking rumor sites again, posting here, reading new info/specs for new gadgets (AirPort Express), etc.

I love it when Apple springs into action and lays a bunch of stuff on us!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-06-07 at 16:57.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-07, 17:03

yah, i'm stevie's whore...already ordered the new airport express

add it to my list of toys about the house

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-07, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
yah, i'm stevie's whore...
Does his wife know about this?
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-06-07, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Ha...and topping out at "only" 2.6. Some of you people are going to have a cow. Moo!

I said the other day I think this will be the case, because, let's face it: speed-bumped G5s are hardly an exciting, scene-stealing thing to waste a WWDC keynote on. They could update them ANY time, you know? It's not a new product, worthy of a trade show or "special event" unveiling, so tomorrow, next week, last month, etc. all would work for a G5 update.
Except, of course, this makes them Rev. B and that's always a good thing.

Quote:
I never saw the need to save it for WWDC.

I think WWDC will be Tiger and a new, redesigned G5 iMac.

No mention of new displays in the ThinkSecret story. Sigh...
AI.com hinteth at OLED. Strewth!!!!

Quote:
On a related sidenote, do you all get as torqued up and perky during moments like this as I do? When there's a flurry of activity and all the rumor sites (the credible ones, anyway) are all "greenlight for go" and the community is buzzing and the front page at apple.com is changing and the stock is up and Steve is rolling cool shit out...dang, I just LOVE days like this.
Yes, but like every other addiction, the lows seem to be getting lower. "Apple's never to going update ever, ever EVAR again." And then they do.

Quote:
iChat, checking out the rumor sites, getting up to pee at 3am and checking rumor sites again, posting here, reading new info/specs for new gadgets (AirPort Express), etc.
Um, nnnooo, no, can't say I do that.

(Hm, can't seem to insert line spacing in between quote tags.)

Screed

Last edited by sCreeD : 2004-06-07 at 18:42.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-07, 18:38

Lying bullshit. You do too.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-07, 19:06

pscates, I think I have said this before, but you seem to be a bit militant in the anti-spec whore (or spec-monger depending on how you look at it) area.

You say that it would be silly to complain about topping out at 2.6 GHz in the next update. Why? I think it would actually be justified. Not because it's a pro machine that needs to really pull out all the stops. Here's why it would be bad:

1) Steve Jobs promised 3 GHz within a year. If he doesn't meet that promise, he'll lose a lot of credibility and Apple will lose a lot of respect.

2) 2.0 to 2.6 isn't nearly as big a jump as it seems at first. We're so used to having Macs stuck between 700 MHz and 1.25 GHz that we don't realize that 600 MHz is only 30% of the current 2 GHz high end. Look at it this way - the 1 GHz PowerMac G4, from January of 2002, was replaced with the 1.25 GHz in August of that year. Seven months, 25% increase. Twelve months, 30% increase is worse than that, huh? 2.6 GHz would have been fine a few months ago, maybe February or March, but waiting a full year for a 30% increase in clock speed seems... not so good.

But I know you always fill your posts full of various smilies after every paragraph so as to make sure everyone knows you never take anything too seriously, so here goes:

:smokey: :wow:

EDIT: Oh yeah, you're probably heard this before too, but I really do wonder why there would be an iMac update at WWDC... I mean, it's Worldwide Developers' Conference, not Worldwide Consumers' Conference. But only time will tell.