AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Nether in SMP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Nether in SMP
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-26, 19:55

Duh, of course! Can't occupy both worlds in SSP!

If you manufacture a portal while in the Nether, does it just create one in the real world?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-27, 13:41

Yes, it will create a new portal in the real world. Also, those of you joking about "poking around" are in for hell. The new baddie-spawning algorithm and Ghasts? Heh. Heheheheh.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-08, 20:34

So I'm going to assume we'll use this as our Nether thread:

I went through today and completed the connection to Bryson's southern portal. Still not sure where it is topside, but it's connected to the Spawn portal in Nether.

Also, I went through and widened the paths in Nether that were only 2 blocks wide. I ended up making them 3 blocks wide to make it a little roomier.

709, you built your portal safety area in Nether and I modified it slightly to widen that part of the path one more block. If you don't like my change let me know and I'll put it back. 3 blocks just feels nicer than 2.

Next up I'm thinking about adding rails.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-06-08, 20:46

Thanks Turtle!

Logged back on today in order to do the tunnel, and there it was, beautifully done!

Random thought: I see that Pigmen can spawn pretty much anywhere. Is 3 wide big enough for a Ghast to spawn inside the tunnels?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-08, 20:50

You're very welcome! I enjoyed doing it.

I haven't seen a ghast in there yet. I've butchered them a few times too to see where they spawn. Would be highly unlikely they even can let alone would spawn in our protected area.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-06-11, 01:48

The Nether expansion continues! The Mob Hill portals are complete - turns out I was able to find a use for the far side of the hill after all!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-11, 02:21

Bruce and Brad have established a portal near Barfing Skull Falls.... well, it's actually AT Barfing Skull Falls.... well, it's actually DIRECTLY UNDER Barfing Skull Falls......

...and then Bruce single-handedly (with some bumbling occasional help from me) connected me up to the hallways system....

thanks y'all!!!!

P.S.
Watch out for the lava when exiting the portal.....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2011-06-11 at 02:22. Reason: safety talk
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-06-11, 12:22

All this Nether fun! I'm looking forward to getting back on tomorrow night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-11, 13:46

Ghast hunting is a blast! I had to do it the other day because it was chick-flic night and I needed something to pull me out of that funk. Bad movie. Good points but broken too.

So I went ghast hunting followed by pigmen and cave diving. I felt better afterwards.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-11, 14:47

I've added a portal to my hallway/workshop area, and in the process rotated SpecMode's portal and made symmetrical (with Brad's assistance) that area of the hall system.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-11, 14:50

I spent some time repairing the grounds around the spawn portal and the hallways that extend from it. All the ghast hunting left the surface pitted with dozens of craters, and I went about filling a bunch of them to make traversing the land easier (until the ghasts blow it all up again, that is).

I used mostly netherrack for the repairs (with a few touches of glowstone), but I think next time I'll use cobblestone. Might be neat to see how much they're deforming the land!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-11, 20:53

I modified the rail a little so that the redstone torches weren't visible on the stairs. I also get power right off the launch. I'm going to put a train in from my portal to spawn. It's not going to follow the diagonal though. I don't like how you have to make jerk hard for the powered rails. Not sure I'll get it done tonight though....

Also looking to put a portal at the junction of the Dark Green line for my "T" Ranch. I'll get the location figured out later on that one when I can be there for it though.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-06-21, 00:31

Here's my shot of the Nether version of Drew's flaming skull. Came out rather well, I think.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-23, 15:22

Last night I added a new portal to my sandy place down south. The Nether portal is along the long hall stretching down to Bryson's portal. I really had fun with the decor, see what you think!

I connected it with someone's lonely glassed in shack but am now wondering if that person is okay with that connection. Let me know!

arteggio

2011-07-23, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I connected it with someone's lonely glassed in shack but am now wondering if that person is okay with that connection. Let me know!
Sort of a corner cobble hut with columnular windows? If so, connect away.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-07-23, 20:07

If it's down that corridor, then the shack was mine. Connect away.
¡Damned!

2011-07-24, 22:03

I added a portal to both the Temple and the UFO.

Since the UFO is almost as far North as the Rink of Pain I also took the opportunity to expand the nether walkways a bit and made a path from the UFO to the RoP and a T off of that to T's Ranch portal. Now the pathways are more of a loop with a little easier access to get to/from some of the further regions to/from the Spawn portal.

Speaking of further regions: arteggio, you should put a portal in your castle out west. I doubt everyone's made the trek out there via the skywalks and it's too nice to leave out there unvisited. If you build one at the castle and post the coords I'll build a path and the pairing portal in the Nether (if you want me to).

So it goes.
arteggio

2011-07-25, 07:15

I'll be sure to do that sometime. ( Portal: the new rail! )

Might be a while though. Real world things currently inhibit my frolicking in Minecraft.
arteggio

2011-08-07, 19:22

My far-west Artheim Castle is now linked to the Underworld.

Come on by if you've never been!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-07, 22:00

Is it connected to the tunnel system in Nether too?
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-08-07, 23:20

Seems to be - there's a new branch leading off from the corridor near the Mob Hill portal, past where you would go up the stairs to get to Flaming Mountain.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-08-08, 00:37

I built a new portal that has a pretty snazzy room complete with a leafy floor. Can't remember what it's near...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-08, 08:23

I've seen to yours, I like it too. You connected it to the glass enclosed house that Bryson built as well as to the main tunnel south.